Surgery Pre Sandhurst?

Ello,
Recently passed my AOSB briefing and have got my main board in September (if this bastard of a virus fucks off by then) and then more than likely would aim to go to Sandhurst the following September (2021). Aiming to join the Paras, only issue is I've got a mild case of pectus excavatum, basically my rib cage is slightly indented and its pushing on my lungs and heart meaning I struggle with long distance running. Sprinting, hiking with heavy bergens, playing football etc. are no problem, just running for anything over a few km and anything uphill is a real bastard and right now there is no chance of me passing P company. So I'm in a bit of a dilemma, I'm going for some lung function tests soonish with the NHS and I'm going to push them to try and offer me surgery which would reshape my chest but would mean I'd have to have a metal bar in my chest for the next 2 years but it would alleviate the pressure on my heart/lungs which would allow me to sort my running out. I've already passed a medical in my current state so I could make it to Sandhurst as I am currently without the surgery but I'd probably struggle with the running when there and would probably have to settle for a non-Para infantry reg. Just need some advice on whether I should have the surgery or not, does anyone know if the metal bar would be an automatic ban, even if I could pass all the phys? Or would I have to wait until the bar was removed, which wouldnt be the end of the world as I could just do a masters at uni to pass an extra year. Do they even do any more medical screenings after main board, I could just have the surgery and hope they don't bother looking? Any input would be great as this is really ******* me off not knowing what to do.
Ta.

Ello,
Recently passed my AOSB briefing and have got my main board in September (if this bastard of a virus fucks off by then) and then more than likely would aim to go to Sandhurst the following September (2021). Aiming to join the Paras, only issue is I've got a mild case of pectus excavatum, basically my rib cage is slightly indented and its pushing on my lungs and heart meaning I struggle with long distance running. Sprinting, hiking with heavy bergens, playing football etc. are no problem, just running for anything over a few km and anything uphill is a real bastard and right now there is no chance of me passing P company. So I'm in a bit of a dilemma, I'm going for some lung function tests soonish with the NHS and I'm going to push them to try and offer me surgery which would reshape my chest but would mean I'd have to have a metal bar in my chest for the next 2 years but it would alleviate the pressure on my heart/lungs which would allow me to sort my running out. I've already passed a medical in my current state so I could make it to Sandhurst as I am currently without the surgery but I'd probably struggle with the running when there and would probably have to settle for a non-Para infantry reg. Just need some advice on whether I should have the surgery or not, does anyone know if the metal bar would be an automatic ban, even if I could pass all the phys? Or would I have to wait until the bar was removed, which wouldnt be the end of the world as I could just do a masters at uni to pass an extra year. Do they even do any more medical screenings after main board, I could just have the surgery and hope they don't bother looking? Any input would be great as this is really ******* me off not knowing what to do.
Ta.
They will bother looking and for you to not declare something which would result in a major risk to life will show them a massive lack of integrity on your part. With a procedure such as yours, so close afterwards, I can honestly say that you have zero chance of going to the Parachute Regiment or any teeth arm for that matter. My suggestion would be to have the procedure when you can, recover fully then reattempt. That way you will have the opportunity for all cap badges. Don't sell yourself short at such an early, critical stage. General Dannatt overcame a stroke early in his career to make it to General, so there is hope for you.

They will bother looking and for you to not declare something which would result in a major risk to life will show them a massive lack of integrity on your part. With a procedure such as yours, so close afterwards, I can honestly say that you have zero chance of going to the Parachute Regiment or any teeth arm for that matter. My suggestion would be to have the procedure when you can, recover fully then reattempt. That way you will have the opportunity for all cap badges. Don't sell yourself short at such an early, critical stage. General Dannatt overcame a stroke early in his career to make it to General, so there is hope for you.
By recover, do you reckon I would need the bar removed from my chest before I can go to Sandhurst or would I be able to go with it still in? It shouldn't impair me in any way at all with it still in, they normally keep the bars in for 2-3 years which is a long wait.

That is definitely something for the medical review board at Sandhurst, I honestly can't see it but could be wrong. Good luck either way

By recover, do you reckon I would need the bar removed from my chest before I can go to Sandhurst or would I be able to go with it still in? It shouldn't impair me in any way at all with it still in, they normally keep the bars in for 2-3 years which is a long wait.
Re. Your long wait:

Do you have a degree? If not go get one whilst you are waiting and join the UOTC at the uni.

If you do have a degree, well go and do a Masters, or PhD. In something like International relations, or International Studies.

And also go learn Arabic, or Chinese, or Russian.........Any of those would be very handy, for many reasons particularly related to making you very useful and employable, boosting your career into the very interesting arena.

Use the three years and don’t whinge about them. Good luck.