Surfshark VPN

For anyone who has a Surfshark VPN contract coming to an end, you may be interested in a recent exchange I had with them.

I paid something like £32 for a 2 year deal back in 2019. Fast forward to May this year and I'm offered a 1 year contract for £63.60. Not being a complete mug I cancelled the renewal and got a 2 year deal for around £40 from another company.

Today, I get this:

Surfshark Customer Happiness said:
Hey,

We're taking the hint: your interest in digital security changed so you left your Surfshark subscription to run out.

But we're sad to see you go so we hope to tempt you to come back.

How about -$10 for our main plan when you resubscribe? Get a 2-year subscription for $59.76 $49.76. That's only $2.07 per month.

Emily,

Head of Customer Happiness

To which the reply followed:

Lost Customer Department said:
Hi Customer Happiness Department,

You are joking, right?

First you send me a demand stating "Starting on July 27, 2021, your new subscription price will be GBP 63.6/year plus VAT. " but now that I've cancelled, it turns out you can manage the same service for a mere $24.88 or £17.89 a year?

I expect you think you're offering me a fantastic deal instead of admitting that you were just about to gouge me for over £90 for a product you admit isn't worth a quarter of that.

That some great Customer Happiness work right there, Emily.

I look forward to sharing my experience as widely as possible.

The upshot being if you're coming to the end a Surfshark contract, remind them that you can not only save them time by renewing for less than £18 a year but also reduce the stress levels of poor Emily in the Customer Happiness Department at the same time.

Same-Same with Ancestry (sadly, though, not a whiff of Emily and her Happy chums).

'Old Man, your contract is due to end next month. Therefore you will need to cough up 40% extra for our less than fulsome service.'

'Dear Pupling, up your corporate hoop. I've just cancelled the remainder of my contract (less than a month) and then opened up a new annual contract at your much more amenable New User teaser rate.

PS: those skinny suit trousers really do look ridiculous on you'.

Similar robust measures work well with Sky also.

Same-Same with Ancestry (sadly, though, not a whiff of Emily and her Happy chums).

'Old Man, your contract is due to end next month. Therefore you will need to cough up 40% extra for our less than fulsome service.'

'Dear Pupling, up your corporate hoop. I've just cancelled the remainder of my contract (less than a month) and then opened up a new annual contract at your much more amenable New User teaser rate.

PS: those skinny suit trousers really do look ridiculous on you'.

Same as the usual jogging with insurance renewals. I have a general rule of using the first renewal offer price as the only, and therefore final, price. Which sometimes leads to the following:

Insurance Idiot: "We see you haven't renewed your policy"
Draz: "No, I got a better price from <someone else>"
II: "Can I ask what they quoted"
D: "It was <some price>"
II: (tapping away) "I have checked and we can do it for <very similar price>"
D: "Then you should have offered that to begin with if you wanted me to renew".

Thus the conversation ends.

For anyone who has a Surfshark VPN contract coming to an end, you may be interested in a recent exchange I had with them.

I paid something like £32 for a 2 year deal back in 2019. Fast forward to May this year and I'm offered a 1 year contract for £63.60. Not being a complete mug I cancelled the renewal and got a 2 year deal for around £40 from another company.

Today, I get this:

To which the reply followed:

The upshot being if you're coming to the end a Surfshark contract, remind them that you can not only save them time by renewing for less than £18 a year but also reduce the stress levels of poor Emily in the Customer Happiness Department at the same time.
Just bookmarked this as there are many quotable lines I will be using shortly.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
u'.

When I was with sky I found just phoning and asking them for the best deal they could manage worked just as well.
I binned them when they were unable to give me decent broadband at the beginning of the first lockdown when I really needed more than 3 Mb. they could, possibly up it to 3.5.

Virgin gave me 500Mb (averaging 350 at my computer with the wife and mini me streaming weird Japanese cartoons while I'm on teams training upto 6 people all with webcams on)

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Virgin gave me 500Mb (averaging 350 at my computer with the wife and mini me streaming weird Japanese cartoons while I'm on teams training upto 6 people all with webcams on)

Be aware though that Virgin are rather partial to hiking their prices during your contract, sometimes twice a year. They will usually immediately reduce the price if you go through the mild ball-ache of 'phoning them though.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Be aware though that Virgin are rather partial to hiking their prices during your contract, sometimes twice a year. They will usually immediately reduce the price if you go through the mild ball-ache of 'phoning them though.

When this contract is up I may get my internet from a lovely bunch who claim 900 Mbps bi directional £25 a month for 18 months.

Latest Threads