Surely This Is The Biggest Scam On Television?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bromhead, Jan 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Far be it from me to be the one to criticise a wizard scam such as this for the saying 'a fool and his money are soon parted' has never been more evident, however....

For those of you with Sky Digital may I draw your attention to channel 166 "TTV", and in particular to a show thay have called "The Great British Quiz". As of today (New Years Day) their current quiz has been running for at least a week. It is a simple case of doing the four simple questions (such as 'How many hooves on six reindeer'?) and adding the numbers. Adding the numbers i suspect is the key part here.

For those of you who will now no doubt have a look I can assure you that the answer is not 58 as it would appear at first glance, nor is it 13 (from adding 5+8), nor is it 4 (from adding 1+3). The beauty is that when they decide to end this quiz they will tell you the answer, which will more than likely be something absurd, without even attempting to explain how it was calculated. Decimals haven't been ruled out either which adds a totally new dimension to it.

My point is at £1 a call, a steady stream of callers, no possible chance of stumbling on the correct answer and no attempt to explain how its worked out, how is this legal? Or more to the point how can i get in on the action? Allegedly the prize money is £15000, which has increased from £12000 when i first saw it a week ago (on Boxing Day), and who knows how long it was running before that.

Incidentally TTV's decision is final and no correspondance may be entered into with regards to quiz answers. Genius.

2. Bromhead.These types of quiz shows are only going to benefit the company who run them,not you or anyone who wastes £1 to 'try' and get through only to be dissappointed with their answer.Best thing to do is, don't waste your money on them.

3. Thats obvious, and no i haven't been dull enough to phone in.

My point is how is this legal? Its like charging somebody a pound to guess what you're thinking.

4. It'll cost you a quid to find out what I think.

5. Stupidity is not illegal. Like the lottery, which is a tax on the stupid. Like most of my family. My mam "Oh need to get a few lottery tickets - it's a rollover" Isn't 4 million on a normal week enough ? Giro's should be short circuited to Camelot. It's a bit like paying Gurkha's in 10p pieces and then watching them feed the shiny machine in the corner of the NAAFI/Mess

6. Of course it's a scam - www.ofcom.org.uk/accessibility/rtfs/bulletins/bb41.rtf+TTV+Great+British+Quiz&hl=en]here[/url] is a random OFCOM report from 2 weeks in July last year (2005).

8 counts - but I stress that they were all found to be not in breach or out of remit.

Also from OFCOM Bulletin No 46:

7. Apologies - just got a PM asking for this - every OFCOM Bulletin.

Fascinating what some people find the time to complain about...

Click here.

8. Best low rent TV is Sky Ch 995 Livexxx chat at 2325 every night whenthey "Flash the Gash" BAFTA Stuff

9. Nice.

10. Sorry, but that Ofcom site is just genius....would love to have been a fly on the wall at this deliberation........