Surely this is taking the p**s

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by stabradop, Mar 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What's the worst that can happen?
  2. Ummmmmm someone gets locked in the loo? Kids work out the blind spots in the cameras? Pull the cable out? The cameras don't actually work and cost a fortune anyway??
  3. The bit about storing biometric data etc is a bit of a worry, seen as a child only takes 10 years to go through the system then another two to become a consensual adult, of which they would and could refuse to give such personal details. No bother as its already on your file as you may have forgotten but we took your DNA when studying it in year 7 !!!! It sounds a bit tin foil hat I know but what a bargain idea for the government and security forces. The worry I have is that knowing how well our civil servants guard their laptops and computer disks added to the idea and implementation of biometric passports could it not be that storing such information at such a low level establishment as a school could be pretty dodgy???? Those who can....teach but those who can....... also blow up stuff too! As I say if as a terrorist on a mission you wanted to take out a big target and assume someone elses identity to carry out your plotting it would not take rocket science to obtain these details of a possible stooge, you would only need to become a parent helper for a few weeks, job jobbed wait ten years and give it some boom boom pow ! Quite frightening really.
  4. All you need to know is which ten year old child will gain access to your target in ten years time. Be much easier to find a 20 year old and kidnap their wife, wouldn't it?
  5. What with that and the fact that the NHS are pulling the same stroke with the rest of us, I think the tin foil hat might not be a bad idea, Methinks New Labour are out to get your biometric info ,by hook or by crook, whether you want them too or not
  6. Nothing to hide nothing to fear etc....

(tongue firmly in cheek)
  7. So who do you trust?What are the "very basics"?Get out of the kitchen, and do it yourself - if you can.
  8. More misinformation regarding "biometrics" yet again.

When fingerprints are taken, to be used on Access Control systems, as was the case here (I know, I fitted a load of it) the fingerprint itself is never stored.

The system works by measuring the distance between 10 upwards points on the "whirls" of your print and then comparing them to the distances on the thumb or finger presented to a reader.

It is absolutely impossible to recreate an actual finger print from the data stored on the system. Your actual print will have many thousands of variables, not just the ten that the system compares.

Same goes for retina and palm scanning. The systems do NOT store an "image" of your fingerprint, palm or retina.

The print readings would have been taken for Aceess Control equipment fitted at entrance doors to the school so that pupils can get in and out without having to use an intercom or key or to have the need to post a member of staff at every door. The last place I did it at had tried to use cards, fobs etc but the kids kept losing them. Quite hard for them to lose their fingers.

And because parents (rightly so) insist that schools are secure and that outsiders can not randomly walk in and out, Access Control is neccesary. Don't forget a large school may have 10 or more entrances, staggered lesson times, 6th formers with staggered start times, adult learning centres with random start times etc, etc. Not something that the receptionist can really control from her desk.

As for the cameras, get used to it. Compared to some of the schools I have worked on, their system is positivley miniscule. One of my current clients has 96 cameras in it's Upper School alone.

There is a reason that schools spend large chunks of money on surveillance, the main ones being.

1. Vandalism. After one year of the last system I fitted at a school in Birmingham, the reduction in vandalism repairs had paid for the kit. This is vandalism that happens during school time, commited by the pupils.

2. Nuisance prevention. They help to detect and stop bullying, spurious fire alarm activations and kids sciving by wondering the corridors

3. Protection of the staff. I'd say that in the last year I have been asked at least a dozen times to download footage for the OB which has disproven (and proven on 2 occassions) allegations against teachers by pupils

The cameras in the bogs covering the sinks are nothing new. The little angel pupils like to break sinks, clog them up and flood the toilets, deal drugs in there, drag Billy Bunter in for a kicking etc, etc, etc.

It may leave a nasty taste in the mouth to know they are there, but trust me, when you see WHY they are there day in day out, it comes as no surprise.

As for the school in question, I know it, it's a dive and it needs them.
  9. Or some unscrupulous character could easily turn the camera to face the traps and watch while having a sweaty thrap...just a thought
  10. If it's done properly (and that's where CCTV gets most of it's crap reputation from, it's done on the cheap instead of being done correctly in the first place) the cameras are completely self contained vandal resistant domes and there are always two of them with each one catching the other one within it's field of view.

No cables, no housing to turn, no wires to pull.

The favourite one for them to do is cover them in wet bog roll. But then they get caught doing it by the very act of walking up to it to do it in the first place. Or my favourite, holding a lighter under them ('cause I get paid to go fix it :) )

The blind spots are easy, they are the "Traps", that's the one bit of the bogs where it would be illegal to put them or have them viewing, so that doesn't take much working out.

You would be surprised as well just how much an average camera can actually see, the "blind spot" has caught a lot of people out. An average short range camera has a field of view of 120 degrees horizontally. You think you have sneaked up on it from the side but in reality it caught you long before.