Supremes back right to picket military funerals

Discussion in 'US' started by Charm_City, Mar 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Undoubtedly free speech. Simply because someone doesn't agree with your views or emotions does not make them nutters
  2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

diana ross eh? what a cow.

oh, those supremes. whoops.
  3. While I agree with the spirit of what the justices have decreed, I am surprised however that they have not weighed at all whether causing harm to another through physical and/or verbal abuse constitutes a crime.

There are a number of counter protests at these things that groups of people form a wall around these nutters so that they cannot be seen.

What I understand the least is why the media continue to give these assholes another 15 minutes of fame.
  4. I agree as a matter of principle ... but I'm afraid this lot do stretch my capability for tolerance to breaking point.

5. True. However, the appalling behaviour described would be treated as criminal in the United Kingdom. And we have the supposedly dreaded ECHR!
  6. I have to confess to commenting before researching the group. I still stand by my comment but accept they may be slightly unhinged...!
  7. Concur, the Westboro lot are totally loathsome.

I have not read the full text of Justice Alioto's dissent but the purpose of a system of laws is intended to keep the peace and enforce the laws. There are few acts more conducive to a breach of the peace than the desecration of an emotionally charged event such as a funeral.

A poster above mentioned the role of the media. If the US news media showed a sense of discipline and refused to show footage of Rev Phelps and company the Westboro Baptists would wither, dry up and blow away.
  8. How quickly would the ACLU and government swung into action if the Westborough jerks were protesting at funerals based on ethnic or religious demographics? My guess would be that Phelp's "church" would have lost it's protected status and he'd be behind bars were that the case. Only explanation left is that veterans aren't considered worth the effort to protect in their eyes...
  9. I'm surprised noone has taken a few shots at these loons
  10. First Amendment: addresses the rights of freedom of religion (prohibiting Congress from establishing a religion and protecting the right to free exercise of religion), freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of assembly, and freedom of petition.

Home of the brave and land of the free an all that bollocks!
  11. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

And these insensitive cnuts say they are religious, f@cking hypocrites
  12. Religion & Hypocricy go together hand in hand.
  13. Don't think the thought hasn't crossed our minds... fact that so many of us veteran gun owners are law abiding citizens should be evident by the lack of violent retaliation.
  14. true that, but theres always a random nutter