Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Supporting Wildlife Anti-Poaching Malawi.

Just been reading this article from the beeb about a few Squaddies out helping protect Malawi's wildlife and helping the anti-poaching patrols. Personally I think this is a cracking idea, good training and doing some good PR in the process.

Anti-poaching patrols

Give me ten good men, a crate of S*Rs... and a Dakota, and the world will be awash with hefferlumps.

I think it's an excellent idea and should be expanded. It's got to be better than freezing one's tits off at Otterburn?

Dakota? Tricky getting Avgas in those parts. Twin Otter with 14 in the back divided into three four man stop groups and a ten man team on the ground. Two stop groups to jump in and a third as backup with two observers acting as despatchers and coordinating things on the ground. Sack of bricks in the back of the Otter to throw at ground targets so the GIBs can amuse themselves and feel involved.

But what are the ROE limitations? Can they blatt away at any suspicious moving target provided it doesn't have tusks and is a biped humanoid? Saving wlidlife is great but when the first trophy photos are shared on social media of smiling squaddies crouched alongside the corpse of some poacher from the village, foot on the chest and cradling THAT rifle I suspect there will be tears at teatime.

But what are the ROE limitations? Can they blat away at any moving target provided it doesn't have tusks and is a biped humanoid? Saving wlidlife is great but when the first trophy photos are shared on social media of smiling squaddies crouched alongside the corpse of some poacher from the village, foot on the chest and cradling THAT rifle I suspect there will be tears at teatime.

Don't you come along with all you sensibilities! We're trying to put together a motley crew of wildlife rangers here.

I call dibs on the poachers ears. They'll make a nice pressie for the missus.

The Mr M'bongo trophies would make a nice addition to the Officers Mess smoking room wall mind, alongside the antelopes heads etc... or maybe they would be better skinned and slung in front of the fire with the tiger skin rug. Easier to roll up and get through Customs too...

But what are the ROE limitations? Can they blatt away at any suspicious moving target provided it doesn't have tusks and is a biped humanoid? Saving wlidlife is great but when the first trophy photos are shared on social media of smiling squaddies crouched alongside the corpse of some poacher from the village, foot on the chest and cradling THAT rifle I suspect there will be tears at teatime.

Same as Bots with any luck. Apparently they take poaching seriously and will shoot on sight, according to ex crab mate who lives there.

Also have armed blokes following the rhino around at Zakouma in Chad with orders to blatt anyone who tries to take the horns as souvenirs for their cousins in Vietnam.

In which case this sounds a very interesting training opportunity. Especially if it's "what happens in Malawi stays in Malawi" not a word to the Guardianista

Give me ten good men, a crate of S*Rs... and a Dakota, and the world will be awash with hefferlumps.

I think it's an excellent idea and should be expanded. It's got to be better than freezing one's tits off at Otterburn?

Is Jarrod the Dodgy Medic?

WG Medic.jpg