Supporting CGS

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Outstanding, Jul 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone can have a pop at him, but General Dannett is doing a chuffing great job and we should all be supporting him in trying to achieve the best for everyone.

What is your opinion?

2. Couldn't agree more but what do you suggest we do? All turn up in Trafalgar Square and he can lead in on horseback to a bloodless coup at Number 10?

3. Bloodless!!??

4. Talk about spoiling the fun, Ethel! :roll: :wink:

5. I thought he did jolly well on R4 this morning. Perhaps he should be invited to do a slot on Thought For The Day - he'd be a darned sight more inspirational than the dross they usually get...

6. He is doing a good job .... therefore his time in the post probably won't last!

7. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Well as he retires on 28 August ...............? :wink:

8. Keep an eye on current events. If Labour go ahead with their smear campaign, as they almost certainly will, the press will be all over this board looking to gauge the squaddie reaction.

9. Bloodless!!!???, you cannot be serious.

10. Hats off to the present CGS. He has gone againtst tradition by speaking publically whilst in the chair, rather than doing so when retired, as so many previous Chiefs have done! I think it very poor show that the General was passed over for CDS (personal intervention by the PM?)

Notwithstanding that Mr Brown is my local MP I do hope his party gets its arse kicked in the next election. When has the Labour party ever done the Armed Forces proud?

Now to upset our RN and RAF colleagues....

Do we really need the multi-billion pounds Aircraft Carriers or Typhoons? The reason I ask is that for the forseeable future most conflicts will be land based and as such we need the right resources for our soldiers/marines. 20 odd years ago it was invisaged that we (the army) would have our own heavy helicopters (thus no longer relying on the RAF) and it was proposed to have our own airmobile bde flown by AAC. I think the RAF threw their teddies out of the pram and eventvually got their own way (ie status quo).

Gen Dannant is/was an excellent CGS. Unfortunately he has upset our piss poor politicians in the MoD (or Head Office as it is now called!), CDS and not doubt the other Service Chiefs by doing his best to get what the army needs. Could this have been one of the reasons he was black balled for the CDS posts?

Comments?

11. Broon on TV now, having reviwed the whole situtaion with his left eye he is now saying that he takes the word of Commanders on the ground and not his senior Military Advisors.

12. Do we really need the multi-billion pounds Aircraft Carriers or Typhoons? The reason I ask is that for the forseeable future most conflicts will be land based and as such we need the right resources for our soldiers/marines. 20 odd years ago it was invisaged that we (the army) would have our own heavy helicopters (thus no longer relying on the RAF) and it was proposed to have our own airmobile bde flown by AAC. I think the RAF threw their teddies out of the pram and eventvually got their own way (ie status quo).

Nobody knows how or indeed where future conflicts will be fought..it wasn't long ago that Peter De La Billionaire was saying that the days of close combat were over and he couldn't foresee how, if any VC's could ever be won again..got that a bit wrong eh??

Also how do you suppose land based conflicts would be fought without CAS from the RAF..ask the guys now if they'd like to scale down the RAF.

Scaling down is not the answer, finding the additional financial and manpower resources to carry out the the task in hand is.

13. which channel is the bastard brown on. I want to watch. My blood pressure is a bit low today

14. If you really want to support CGS then write to your MP and tell him/her so. All servicemen and women have an unalienable right as UK citizens to access their elected representatives in Parliament, and don't let anyone tell you any different. It's easy to hide behind a pseudonym on a board like this and say what you like, but it's time to put your money where your mouths are and contact your MP. CGS is leading from the front - are you going to follow? Or are other things - career, promotion - too important? I'm not criticising, just asking.

15. Bill Gates once said that we would never really need more than 1 Megabyte of RAM.....

It was once thought that a mere 100 computers would be able to carry out all of the WORLDS computing requiremnets...

History is littered with "bold, desicive sound bites"... we need a capable, versatile and flexible armed forces...