Support weapons courses

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by dave_88, Jun 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, just wondering if there are chances for Royal Signals soldiers to get on support weapons courses, such as learning to fire the GPMG, HMG etc. If so, are these types of courses only available to certain trades? Thanks.

2. I've only ever known infantry, tankies, SF and RAF Regt to do them.

3. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Fally maybe a Bone question, dont any units apart from the one ,s you mentioned get to play with GPMG, HMG Anti Tank wpns at depot stage ?

4. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

No one touches either HMG or ATK at depot now. Para reg only do GPMG to WHT standard at depot.

5. You will only get sight of these courses if you are at a CSR deploying on Herrick.

Even then, unless you are part of SFPTC, not a chance.

6. Pararegtom

So the modern British Tom(Inf) is not an all rounder when he leaves Depot. Thats fecking Sad, all down to cost I presume?

7. Its not the end of the world - all the blokes leaving training will be joining their Battalions either conducting pre-deployment training, or with it in sight. They'll have their hands on the .50 cal and all sorts of weapons in the UK, and as part of RSOI in theatre - not to mention all sorts of kit which didn't exist or weren't common in the past.

When Herrick ends, the kit will end up in the hands of the Battalions most likely to deploy.

Today's soldier is no weaker, and no less rounded than those who came out of Depot Para in the 80s.

So, not really a drama, to be honest.

8. Pararegtom

Thanks for that Brief CC.

9. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

As I screw at depot I would have to disagree with that I'm afraid.

10. How long has this been going on for? Although not Para when I went through Catterick we did RGGS, GPMG, 51mm Mortar and 94mm and this was only 9 years ago

11. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

Only things taught and fired now are rifle and LMG, UGL is done to WHT standard and para recruits are the only ones to do GPMG to WHT standard. Been going on for a while now.

12. When I went through ITC as a sprog, the only A/T or SP weapons we got to play with were the 94 and 51, first got hands on GPMG at NITAT, and HMG / GMG during PDT for herrick.

It was embarrasing doing PDT alongside the bootnecks, they couldn't believe it...

13. Would there be a better chance if I joined 216?

14. See my post above......

15. 216 were quite keen on their weapons training for H13, got (comparatively) a fair bit of hands on with HMG and GMG including range days in the build up to and in PDT, didn't touch anything else though