Support to Ukraine - the charitable sector

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
( Apologies if there is a similar thread posted anywhere, though I could not see- Mods please merge as required.)

Like most of us, I have received a lot of emails/FB prompts from notable large British charities ( Salvation Army/UNHCR/) asking for money to help the 1 M Ukrainian refugees fleeing the conflict into neighbouring Poland Hungary Romania etc.

Salvation Army mobilises to support Ukraine relief effort
EG:
Dear Goats ,

I’m sure, like me, you have been watching the heart-breaking news about the war in Ukraine. I know that it can be difficult to listen to, and sometimes it can make us feel helpless, but I want to reassure you that at The Salvation Army we are doing all we can to help.

We have experience in supporting the victims of warfare and as you’d expect, we’ve swung into action to do what we can. One of the immense strengths of The Salvation Army is that we already have a presence in Ukraine and in the bordering countries. So, when war started and we could see families starting to flee and head for the borders, we were ready to support them at the crossing points. Being there for people when they need us, with practical and emotional support is what we do best.

Both within Ukraine and across neighbouring countries, we are handing out provisions to refugees such as food, water, hygiene items and blankets. Here are just a few examples of the aid The Salvation Army is providing at the moment.

• Ukraine: In various locations across Ukraine The Salvation Army is responding to the needs of internally displaced persons by providing urgently needed food and hygiene items.
  • Moldova: The Salvation Army is providing free assistance to refugees from Ukraine including temporary accommodation, hot meals and drinks, access to Wi-Fi so people can stay in touch and other necessary items.
  • Poland: The Salvation Army is currently busy preparing relief parcels for Ukrainian refugees coming into the country.
  • Slovakia: Salvation Army personnel are travelling to a town 50 km from the Ukraine border to assess the situation. They are working on a plan of action in preparation for accommodation, material needs and emotional support.
  • Czech Republic: The Salvation Army in Czech Republic has available capacity in residential centres, so they stand ready to provide support.
  • Russia: To date there are over 60,000 displaced people in southern Russia. The Salvation Army is responding to their needs by providing food, hygiene and other relief items.
  • Romania: The Salvation Army in Romania has formed an emergency team, filled a car with essential items and is on the way to the border to offer support to refugees seeking support in Romania. By the time you read this, we’ll be there, in action.
At this time we are aware that The Salvation Army in other European countries are also planning to respond to the needs of refugees arriving there.

I hope you will keep the Ukrainian people in your prayers while we continue to support them on the ground as best we can. The Salvation Army is not only responding to immediate need but will continue to support over the longer term, adapting to the needs that arise as the situation develops.'

1646344580639.png

---------------------- ---------------------- ------------------------- ---------------------------------
Locally in my own area I saw this:

Polski Klub Southampton

2 d ·

1f1fa_1f1e6.png
1f1f5_1f1f1.png
1f1fa_1f1e6.png
1f1ec_1f1e7.png
1f1fa_1f1e6.png
1f1f5_1f1f1.png
1f1fa_1f1e6.png
1f1ec_1f1e7.png

Donations that we are desperate for at the moment:
* Thermal underwear, thermal underclothing (like leggings, blouses - THERMAL ONLY, no other clothing)
* Hats, gloves
* Foam mats
* Warm blankets
* Survival foil blankets
* First aid boxes
* Hand/feet warmers
* SMALL tents
* Any medical equipment, wound dressings etc
Also necessary, but less critical:
* Baby formula, including special needs formula
* Sudocrem, nappy creams
* Medicines
* Non-perishable food
* Instant soups etc
-------------------------- ------------------------ -------------------

My local Town Hall is packing items donated for despatch: I imagine there are many such initiatives underway across Britain.

Thought this thread might provide a place for info relating to any efforts which Arssers may be aware/taking part in locally.

Crack on folks.

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Save the Children UK posted this:

Pay day tomorrow, so I'll be dropping a few quid. Probably split between the big lads such as Red Cross, Sally Ann, etc.

Got an email tonight from Tesco head shed: £1 Million worth of food, medical supplies etc donated to charities involved in Ukraine. Tesco Mobile is also offering free calls to Ukrainians over here who are trying to contact loved ones back home.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Local collections from Dorset of clothes, blankets, food, toiletries, nappies, baby food etc all collected, sorted, boxed, loaded and heading to Southampton tomorrow.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
( Apologies if there is a similar thread posted anywhere, though I could not see- Mods please merge as required.)

Like most of us, I have received a lot of emails/FB prompts from notable large British charities ( Salvation Army/UNHCR/) asking for money to help the 1 M Ukrainian refugees fleeing the conflict into neighbouring Poland Hungary Romania etc.

Salvation Army mobilises to support Ukraine relief effort
EG:
Dear Goats ,

I’m sure, like me, you have been watching the heart-breaking news about the war in Ukraine. I know that it can be difficult to listen to, and sometimes it can make us feel helpless, but I want to reassure you that at The Salvation Army we are doing all we can to help.

We have experience in supporting the victims of warfare and as you’d expect, we’ve swung into action to do what we can. One of the immense strengths of The Salvation Army is that we already have a presence in Ukraine and in the bordering countries. So, when war started and we could see families starting to flee and head for the borders, we were ready to support them at the crossing points. Being there for people when they need us, with practical and emotional support is what we do best.

Both within Ukraine and across neighbouring countries, we are handing out provisions to refugees such as food, water, hygiene items and blankets. Here are just a few examples of the aid The Salvation Army is providing at the moment.

• Ukraine: In various locations across Ukraine The Salvation Army is responding to the needs of internally displaced persons by providing urgently needed food and hygiene items.
  • Moldova: The Salvation Army is providing free assistance to refugees from Ukraine including temporary accommodation, hot meals and drinks, access to Wi-Fi so people can stay in touch and other necessary items.
  • Poland: The Salvation Army is currently busy preparing relief parcels for Ukrainian refugees coming into the country.
  • Slovakia: Salvation Army personnel are travelling to a town 50 km from the Ukraine border to assess the situation. They are working on a plan of action in preparation for accommodation, material needs and emotional support.
  • Czech Republic: The Salvation Army in Czech Republic has available capacity in residential centres, so they stand ready to provide support.
  • Russia: To date there are over 60,000 displaced people in southern Russia. The Salvation Army is responding to their needs by providing food, hygiene and other relief items.
  • Romania: The Salvation Army in Romania has formed an emergency team, filled a car with essential items and is on the way to the border to offer support to refugees seeking support in Romania. By the time you read this, we’ll be there, in action.
At this time we are aware that The Salvation Army in other European countries are also planning to respond to the needs of refugees arriving there.

I hope you will keep the Ukrainian people in your prayers while we continue to support them on the ground as best we can. The Salvation Army is not only responding to immediate need but will continue to support over the longer term, adapting to the needs that arise as the situation develops.'

View attachment 644261

---------------------- ---------------------- ------------------------- ---------------------------------
Locally in my own area I saw this:

Polski Klub Southampton

2 d ·

1f1fa_1f1e6.png
1f1f5_1f1f1.png
1f1fa_1f1e6.png
1f1ec_1f1e7.png
1f1fa_1f1e6.png
1f1f5_1f1f1.png
1f1fa_1f1e6.png
1f1ec_1f1e7.png

Donations that we are desperate for at the moment:
* Thermal underwear, thermal underclothing (like leggings, blouses - THERMAL ONLY, no other clothing)
* Hats, gloves
* Foam mats
* Warm blankets
* Survival foil blankets
* First aid boxes
* Hand/feet warmers
* SMALL tents
* Any medical equipment, wound dressings etc
Also necessary, but less critical:
* Baby formula, including special needs formula
* Sudocrem, nappy creams
* Medicines
* Non-perishable food
* Instant soups etc
-------------------------- ------------------------ -------------------

My local Town Hall is packing items donated for despatch: I imagine there are many such initiatives underway across Britain.

Thought this thread might provide a place for info relating to any efforts which Arssers may be aware/taking part in locally.

Crack on folks.

Mrs Phantom mentioned the Polski Klub today as she was working at Food Club. I'm having a clear out of the loft so I'll be sending them anything suitable like the various spare sleeping bags, the box of survival blankets etc.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Thanks Cut.

Government announcement with lots of basic tips.

This bit caught my eye:

The UK Government will match public donations to this appeal pound-for-pound starting with £20 million.

Sounds pretty good uh?

£20M by chance is how much Britain was ANNUALLY giving the People's Democratic Republic of Vietnam in DFID aid until recently.

Soundbites.

I'm guessing we'll hear more about that £20M endlessly over the next week.

Meanwhile, the ordinary folk at the Polski club have got on with collecting whatever goods they can. As have a lot of British local organisations.

So, all in all...I think I'll stick with this thread in relation to those efforts.

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
The DEC Ukraine Appeal RED CROSS page for donations can be found here:

LINKY

How will my donation help people in Ukraine?​

Your donation will be used to reach people in urgent need, including:

• Providing food, first aid, clean water, shelter support, warm clothing, hygiene parcels and medicines
• Supporting hospitals and healthcare facilities
• Supporting fire fighters and civil protection units
• Training people up in life-saving first aid
• Helping families stay in contact with each other
• Educating people on the risks of explosives
• Repairing vital infrastructure
• Helping to repair homes, healthcare centres, schools and community centres

The Red Cross has been supporting people affected by this conflict for years, and will not stop now.

The Ukrainian Red Cross Society (URCS) and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), together with fellow Red Cross National Societies in border countries, are working to get vital help to those impacted by this crisis.

What is the Red Cross doing to help Ukrainian people now?​

So far, Red Cross teams in Ukraine have distributed over 30,000 food and hygiene parcels and provided food, warm clothes, and other aid to around 8,000 people sheltering in metro stations.

First aid training has also been delivered to over 2,000 people taking cover in metro stations and bomb shelters, so they have the skills to treat their loved ones if needed.

Ukraine crisis: the Red Cross response across Europe

1646391193942.png

298TYR

Clanker
I work in the road haulage industry and the RHA have been inundated with requests for advice from members who have been approached to take aid across to Poland etc. We ourselves have been approached by people local to us for assistance. My own feeling is; it's best left to the professional aid organisations and charities with experience in this field and the knowledge and organisation to get it where it's most needed.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
It might be worth them contacting the recycling project in Southampton, looks like they have pallets.... Southampton Wood Recycling Project | Not-for-Profit Social Enterprise
Thanks Slick - I'll put them in touch

Posted by my local ParkRun group :

Dear All,

Watching the news and hearing the personal stories from people in Ukraine over the past few days has been very tough and I expect like me you have experienced countless emotions including sadness, anger, despair and helplessness but also been moved by the courageousness of the Ukrainian people.

I spent Saturday at the protests in Whitehall and chatted to many people affected by the war. I found this incredibly poignant and the atmosphere was one of love, kindness and support. I’ll be doing the same this weekend if anyone else is up for it?

If, like me, you feel somewhat powerless and would like to do something to help <other than join the Foreign Legion> please bring donations to the club on Monday evening and I will take them to a local donation centre (there are quite a few taking lorries over to the Ukraine/Poland border over the next few weeks)

ITEMS TO DONATE
  • Blankets
  • Sleeping bags
  • Hats, scarves, gloves
  • Towels
  • Nappies
  • Wipes
  • Nappy Cream
  • Baby food – jars and tinned milk
  • Baby bottles
  • Items for children – sweets, activities, colouring books, pens, small toys
  • Pet food
  • Bandages
  • Plasters
  • Toothbrushes
  • Health items – toothpaste, shower gel, soap, shampoo, deodorant
  • Sanitary products
  • Protein bars
  • Flasks
  • Thermal mugs
1646496299125.png

Let’s do our bit to help!

Last edited:
I saw a good one today that is worth passing on to those who can afford to make a charitable donation.

Someone posted on linkedin that they would love to help and they hit upon the idea of booking an Airbnb in Ukraine just as a means of helping someone out financially. They booked and to say the response they received was pure gratitude would be serious understatement. The lady who responded with gratitude was at the time of replying huddled in a cellar with her two kids.

A good means of helping out people who have lost everything.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I saw a good one today that is worth passing on to those who can afford to make a charitable donation.

Someone posted on linkedin that they would love to help and they hit upon the idea of booking an Airbnb in Ukraine just as a means of helping someone out financially. They booked and to say the response they received was pure gratitude would be serious understatement. The lady who responded with gratitude was at the time of replying huddled in a cellar with her two kids.

A good means of helping out people who have lost everything.

Only any good if they can get the money / there are things to buy with the money, but I do like the idea.

As always with these things, just check and double check who or what you're giving the donation to and make sure it's legit.

Anyone collecting green kit? Thinking on the other side of things. I've got 3 PLCE webbing sets, and a black Crow daysack that can go

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
papaGee - I just saw someone requesting donations of foam mats/small tents.....I'll see if I can locate it.

Edited to add: taken today (Sunday) at the Polish Club location:

1646579469635.png

Last edited:

exbluejob

LE
Book Reviewer
UPDATE FROM POLISH EMBASSY ON AID FOR UKRAINE REFUGEES

The Polish embassy on behalf of the Polish government has stated that while they appreciate the actions and goodwill of the British people in gathering items to send to Poland for giving to refugees from the appalling atrocities being commited by the despot Putin's Russia to please abide by the following:

"We call on everyone wishing to help not to organise further collections of in-kind donations, as their transport to Poland – followed by a lengthy unloading, storage, selection and distribution procedure – generates disproportionate amounts of additional work and cost, which proves ineffective and counterproductive to the needs of those affected.

"We encourage everyone wishing to help to organise fundraisers and direct donations of funds to verified organisations that will use the funds received for assistance provided in accordance with the strict needs and effective operation in the long term."

The message I previously posted contained this information:

For those who would like to donate financially, below is a list of charities collecting for the Ukraine Crisis:

• British Red Cross – to provide food, water, medical supplies, clothes and shelter
• UNICEF - to help protect children
• ifaw International Fund for Animal Welfare – to provide pet food, veterinary supplies and wages for daily care staff at their partner Ukraine animal shelters.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Thanks Bluejob

This, today:

GB = 50 individual Ukrainians granted visas to stay
Eire = 1800 -"- -" - -" - -"- -" -

Hungary - 180,000 people........

Please excuse my French

Fúcking useless twats

Last edited: