Support Our Soldiers Chritsmas Packages 2009

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by homicidal_bob, Oct 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good afternoon one and all.

The founder of SOS has asked me to place this thread inviting all arrsers to help make up some welfare parcels next month.

SOS will be opening thier doors to members of the public on Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th November.

This event will take place at the SOS HQ. Address below.

Support Our Soldiers

Operations House

2 Whitley Street

West Yorkshire

BD16 4JH

Hope you can all make it.

2. Happy to support this - in fact my Regt Association are compiling boxes at the moment but the burning question I'm being asked is what do they want/need out there?

Any clues?

3. The missus will be delivering 31 boxes (I know, why an odd number?) to the local rep tomorrow - beat the xmas rush & any postal disruptions..
  4. Hi, im looking at getting the company i work for involed to sponsor a fair few boxes to send out. Just wondering were i can get hold of a load of shoe boxes. Was going to use the boxes we use at work but they might be abit to big. Roughly 25cm by 32cm (Will edit tomorrow morning with exact measurements.)

EDIT TO ADD* Exact measurements are H:14cm W:28cm D:31cm
  5. Tried to check the support our soldiers website for acceptable dimensions, but the b*gg*r keeps crashing my Internet connection.

We find a size 7 shoe box fits the dimension limitations very well.
    Some weird RAF way of adding all the dimensions of the box together.

BTW, has I reported on another thread, the limit this year on the number of boxes has been dropped by 4K to 12,000 boxes, with each regional rep only allowed to send in 100 boxes.
  6. Hi HB, not trying to distort your thread by any means, just wanted to enquire about where the parcels are going ie to serving personnel in Afghan or to ex/serving forces at home. The reason is Im sure that the BFPO are trying to stop the Christmas packages to soldiers because it clogs up the system and stops important mail from families getting over in time for Christmas.

Apologies if Ive got your thread wrong.
  7. I sent this stuff out as Christmas presents in 2007. (Was in a bit of a life crisis last Christmas so didn't get any more sent off - same this year too :x )

Anyway it was all well received and might give you some ideas, this note was for the CQMS to aid in distribution.

8. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Whilst shopping for some stuff for boxes earlier this year, I popped a few Andrex mini bog rolls into my trolley. On taking the stuff through the checkout, and explaining to the bemused girl what the weird range of stuff was for she replied

'Oh, my brother's out there at the moment, and they REALLY need those mini bog rolls'.

They're about a quid each.

9. Milk powder in Ziplock bags? Surely ziplock bags of white powder, comes out of Afganistan - not sent in!

The ziplocked bags of milk powder would be removed by the SOS rep, unless you send direct?
  10. msr

msr LE

11. Thats fine, but judging by the letters of thanks for the boxes from the troops, there is still a need for care boxes. Its not all cuddly toys & shower gel that gets sent out. The comments by RSM Hayes in the Independents article are sexist, after all there are female service personnel out there too. Sounds like he doesnt want the hassle of distributing boxes.
  12. support our soldiers send parcels to deployed soldiers,, I think the BFPO are trying to stop people from sending parcels to A SOLDIER, etc as its this that is clogging up the mail system, support our soldiers boxes go out to named personel, and they work with the bfpo and mod regarding when to send parcels and how many they can send on a monthly basis..
    hope this answers the question xxx