Support for service charities

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by r.sole, Jul 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. {also posted on the Officers bit}

Ok. I'm about to stick my neck out. If this is a stupid idea, I apologise.

I work in the investment business and frequently come across other ex service personnel such as former officers (esp in recruitment), occasionally ex SNCO's, and less frequently people such as myself who served for a comparatively short time but are now relatively senior in civilian life.

I can't help feeling that MoD and/or service charities do not harness the potential of this alumni group. These are people who are extremely well disposed to the armed services both intellectually and potential financially.

In the past, I've supported various service charities and sponsored tables at the odd event but was always struck but the lack of actual former service people at these events.

Thinking about the popularity of ARRSE, I'm wondering if there were other ways to both raise money for specific causes that we all believe in and to take this networking idea further. In my wilder moments I've thought about dinners with speakers etc)but then thought better of it. Ok, these were fuelled by pints of bitter and red wine and I might have been overly creative but.........

Ok, folks. Enough of the bullshit. What do you think..? Thoughts

2. A lot of ex service men and women are unable to get involved due to work, family etc etc...

It is always the higher ranking officers going to dinners and events. Veterans especially younger lower ranks never get involved because they feel they do not belong in such events.

Same as the British Legion/Saffa, younger veterans do not feel part of it. The higher ranking personnel will always take centre stage. That is why a lot of us do not bother to get involved!

3. I agree Tommo.

I'm a younger type also (although less young than I was!) and havent felt involved in these things. For example, I attended a charity dinner a couple of years ago by taking a table out of my marketing budget. Took a few guests who are clients - they were interested and the charity would benefit so everyones happy. I felt a little patronised prior to and during the event. There was lots of 'please supply your rank, etc'. Now clearly I'm a very balanced type, with chips on both shoulders! However, it was odd, and I can see why people would be put off or even intimidated.

Also, agree on the Legion. Was a member of a local branch a few years ago, but cant say that I was an active member. I'm sure the legeion does great work and is an amazing institution, but it didnt work for me. It also didnt get much money out of me to support its work, which is more to the point.