Supplements at Sandhurst

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by 20machinm, May 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm heading off to the hurst in September; from what I've heard about the meals and phys sessions, sounds like using a meal replacement or all-in-one formula is the way forward. I'm thinking along the lines of Hurricane XS from Myprotein.com

Thoughts :?

2. Why don't you just turn up with what's on the list, they'll feed you enough and work you enough without having to smash in a poncy steroid milkshake every 2 hours

3. Awful stuff,like trying to digest carpet tiles

4. I'd rather pretend I need said milkshake!

5. Don't be a dick. Go to the dining hall and eat meals with your colleagues - sitting in your room drinking milkshakes will mark you out as a sad loner and will probably end up making you ill! You need lots of food and will also be buying stickies galore.

6. I'm sorry... 'the hurst'? Where the hell have you got that from?

I can't say I know for sure what will happen to your no-doubt magnificent guns if you only eat the food you are given like almost everyone else who has ever commissioned. What I can tell you though, is that if you turn up on day 1 - week 1 talking about protein shakes and using made up pseudo-ally slang, you will be immediately marked down as a cockapotamus and beasted accordingly.

• Like Like x 3
  7. nice idea in theory.
    in practice would mark you down as an oddball.
    most supplements will probably add a bit if your being a professional athelete/ body builder.
    Your meant to be learning to be an officer would you be happy leading a platoon that drank nothing but weird shakes?
    making sure you get to the mess to eat is part of the programme failing to do so will get you noticed and not in a good way.

8. Just going on what I've heard, but message understood!

9. Yeah the thought wasn't about being a throbber gym buff downing protein shakes all day long. Someone suggested to me a protein/energy bar here and there is a better option over wolfing down choc bars/haribo etc to keep the energy up!

10. No, haribo can live for weeks in your bergen without suffering and can be stuffed down your grid in all weathers. Do you fancy mixing your shakes in water of questionable provenance in a metal mug full of pine needles?

11. If i ever make it to your position i would turn up and see how things get on. If i need some kind of supplement meal drink then ill get it when i get home on leave or what not. I certinally wouldn't bring something like that on day one; have you heard a reccomendation to get these meal shakes from several people or just one person? If its from one person it sounds to me like they are a bit of a ****.

Edited to add; that protein mix your looking at in particular contains creatine, which is not something you want if endurance is key.

ANC

12. As well as heaps of carbs served up by the nice Ghurka ladies in the Old College dining hall, a pint of Coke and a bar of fruit and nut from Johnson's bar should see you in good stead...

13. Right, thanks! Did not know that creatine fact. 4 of my mates were in the same platoon and them + a bunch of others used protein shakes.

Seems I've been barking up the wrong tree! Real food = win any day.

14. Topping up your protein intake won't hurt, but stay well clear of anything with creatine in it. There's all sorts of conflicting research about it, but in my experience it dehydrates you and gives you muscle cramps. Not what you want at Sandhurst.

15. Bingo magicinvisibletenletters