Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Supervisors gone

This is weird - I remember emphasis going from HF to Satcom and back. Changing HF AE lengths at silly o'clock in the am in the freezing rain, heights and gains and all that , trying to match the AE as close as you can to get the extra kilometres out and push the signal to noise ratio up one notch...only to get the dreaded notice to move change which meant you had to start undoing it all asap for an umpteen mile journey that you could just about make in time if you were in a chinook and just as the bods you were working the link for upped their traffic 1000 percent.

......is that violin music I hear ?....

One thing I've never understood are these - The Admiralty List of Coast Radio Stations. 700+ pages listing all the commercial marine radio stations in the world.

Where was the benefit to the Admiralty in expending effort to list 7500+ radio stations that their ships would never use and what's more banging out corrections every week as well.

crs.jpg

I have a rich picture, from Ph2 to OF3, not a clue what the Lt Col (JF?) does though mind.

Your "rich picture" is clearly very different to mine. Having spent most of the last 20 years serving in three R Sigs Regt's that employ both YofS and YofS(EW), I've witnessed almost zero overlap of skillsets. Putting aside the fact one delivers services, and the other is a career J3 professional, the reality is that few YofS have an understanding of the RF spectrum deep enough to adequately answer their own concerns. Or to put it in an OSI context, the YofS community has had to prioritise from the transport layer up, while the YofS(EW) has almost no business beyond the network.

Being able to brief a Bde or BG Cdr on the enemies use of the spectrum, and how that use can be exploited to deliver FIND with the granularity the teeth arms need is just not in a YofS's wheel house. (I'm also deeply sceptical that the various legal frameworks that cover the employment of EWSI capability are much of a consideration for the J6 community).

Or, heaven forbid, his or her CMG. Well, they can but dream, can't they?

Im sure we’ve all seen our fair share of shít bag officers. This type of thing will always happen when some are trying to climb the greasy pole and lack the leadership credentials to do it legitimately.

I think you lot are being very unfair, a staff officer’s MBE/OBE is riding on this.
The MBE for the bloke that didn't do the graft was given out last year, I believe that the bloke that stuck his head above the parapet and sold the concept (and a lot of other stuff) should have been awarded in May but I don't know what happened with C19.

Your "rich picture" is clearly very different to mine. Having spent most of the last 20 years serving in three R Sigs Regt's that employ both YofS and YofS(EW), I've witnessed almost zero overlap of skillsets. Putting aside the fact one delivers services, and the other is a career J3 professional, the reality is that few YofS have an understanding of the RF spectrum deep enough to adequately answer their own concerns. Or to put it in an OSI context, the YofS community has had to prioritise from the transport layer up, while the YofS(EW) has almost no business beyond the network.

Being able to brief a Bde or BG Cdr on the enemies use of the spectrum, and how that use can be exploited to deliver FIND with the granularity the teeth arms need is just not in a YofS's wheel house. (I'm also deeply sceptical that the various legal frameworks that cover the employment of EWSI capability are much of a consideration for the J6 community).
I can think of 4 regiments that would have had YofS EW, one of which is gone, and another is now joint and doesn't have any YofS EW in it. The big drive and where the money is, is Cyber and I believe that the branch is making a play for it. The commander is very interested that his/her networks are secure these days as that's what hits the papers.
As for briefing the BG commander on SSB, how much time/emphasis is spent doing that, very little nowadays, probably very little that couldn't be picked up by somebody else. YofS EW sit as part of Ops Teams now, and the ability to contribute to the overall team output is greater importantance than it was say 10 years ago.
Looking at the electromagnetic spectrum, only one course is taught the underpinning theory behind it

As with all the Supervisors, what do we actually want, experience, solid output and the gaskets filtered out, all of it appears to be up for grabs now.

I can think of 4 regiments that would have had YofS EW, one of which is gone, and another is now joint and doesn't have any YofS EW in it. (Cool Story, I can think of 6 if you include Supervisor Radio. Not to mention RLC Regt's that currently employ both)The big drive and where the money is, is Cyber and I believe that the branch is making a play for it. The commander is very interested that his/her networks are secure these days as that's what hits the papers.

Which is a great example of the divide between Effects and Services. The YofS(EW) will be looking to deliver the Offensive part of what limited "Cyber" the Army gets to play with, and the YofS should be focussing on defending his networks. i.e. exactly what they've done for the last century...

As for briefing the BG commander on SSB, how much time/emphasis is spent doing that, very little nowadays, probably very little that couldn't be picked up by somebody else. YofS EW sit as part of Ops Teams now, and the ability to contribute to the overall team output is greater importantance than it was say 10 years ago.

I'd hope no self-respecting YofS(EW) would be briefing a BG commander on the SSB, he/she should be talking about effects (hence why he works to SO1 ISR and SO1 Fires, not SO1 G6) as only a tiny percentage of the YofS(EW) community is truly SSB facing. Secondly, talking about SSB, CEMA, "Cyber", or EMA is almost always a combat indicator that the person speaking has zero understanding of the subject.

Looking at the electromagnetic spectrum, only one course is taught the underpinning theory behind it.

The Class 3 EW Sys Op Course at Chicksands? Which is followed by a career effectively spent looking at a Spectrum Anaylyser? The fact the YofS community isn't given any real training on the EMS until supervisor is something I'm hoping CADUCEUS looks to change as the "bang up an omni-directional antenna and crack up the power to 11" method of comms planning is not a good look if playing in the peer facing space.

As with all the Supervisors, what do we actually want, experience, solid output and the gaskets filtered out, all of it appears to be up for grabs now.

Given the world is getting more technically, tactically and legally complex, the drive towards generalisation that many in the Corps are pushing will I fear make them redundant. When other Cap Badges that do EW are already circling, I have a feeling the Corps will be nothing more than the IT department of the AGC within a generation.

I probably don’t know what I’m talking about but the world you’re quoting doesn’t seem to reflect the reality I exist in.

I'm guessing that's because your reality has nothing to do with the EW world you seem convinced that a YofS should be supervising. But hey, I'm sure a few weeks of A&P and Comm principles at Blandford while you went through supervisory training qualify you to comment....

Changing HF AE lengths at silly o'clock in the am in the freezing rain, heights and gains and all that
That brings it all back! First posting out of Harrogate was 1 Div Sig Regt (Verden) and I was initially put on the Div Admin net, with a twin C11 set up in the back of an Austin K9. Messing about in all weathers at all hours of the day to get the antenna to its optimum length and the feeling of pure joy when you successfully established Comms. Then being brought back to Earth when you have just got back inside from refuelling the genny, made the duty Staff Officer a brew and then he looks at you in your sodden state, whilst wearing his dry and pristine combat kit, before asking “It’s not too much to ask if a sandwich is out of the question”?! Staff Officers, I’ve shit ‘em!
:grin: