Supervisor IS Selection Week

Good luck to all of you that are going on the selection course this week.

Just remember that the biggest downfall is self induced pressure.

or being shit of course.

Best give Tesco's a ring and et them to ship in some pallets of Clearisil ;-)

darth_fokker said:
Good luck to all, see you on Tuesday morning bright and early! (Command Tasks)
And see you in the bar!

Nice one Boney, sounds like a plan.

nato_tato said:
So many people, so little dress sense, so much poor personal hygiene.

World of Warcraft will be quiet this week.
The cream of the crop at the top of their game, wearing uniform during the day and conforming to mess rules during the evenings. Job done! Presumably the YofS and FofS selection boards are filled with Brad Pitt body doubles swathed in Armani suits and reeking like a whore's purse? I wish them all well, whether IS or EW, and hope they all get bladdered on Thursday night when all the pressure is off.

nato_tato said:

So true, so funny. Silver flecked disco suits a la Ben Elton are out people, but I wish I was in B'ford next week just to count them.

Spliff-Boy said:
nato_tato said:

So true, so funny. Silver flecked disco suits a la Ben Elton are out people, but I wish I was in B'ford next week just to count them.
Why are you so concerned about being World of Warcraft being so quiet, guys? I thought you would relish the chance to play your little RPG with little competition. Geeks.

PoisonDwarf said:
Spliff-Boy said:
nato_tato said:

Why are you so concerned about being World of Warcraft being so quiet, guys? I thought you would relish the chance to play your little RPG with little competition. Geeks.
Thou doth protest too much, methinks.

darth_fokker said:
WTF - command tasks on a Supvr IS selection?

Is it not a bit late for that? I would have thought that initiative tests would have taken place earlier in the proceedings. I can just see it, a bunch of determined young thrusters trying to outdo each other, seeing who can shout the loudest. All - under the watchful gaze of some fat fecker with a mill board.

Talk about padding out a selection process. Do FofS & YofS do this thing these days?

I would have thought that a bit of a problem solving exercise on an individual basis would have been far more worthwhile than moving an ammo box from A to B via C.

nato_tato said:
PoisonDwarf said:
Thou doth protest too much, methinks.
Ha ha, brilliant use of pseudo-medieval lingo to sound smart. Brilliant. What's your character name "Gandalf Bulging-Torso"?

whistler said:
darth_fokker said:

Is it not a bit late for that? I would have thought that initiative tests would have taken place earlier in the proceedings. I can just see it, a bunch of determined young thrusters trying to outdo each other, seeing who can shout the loudest. All - under the watchful gaze of some fat fecker with a mill board.

Talk about padding out a selection process. Do FofS & YofS do this thing these days?

I would have thought that a bit of a problem solving exercise on an individual basis would have been far more worthwhile than moving an ammo box from A to B via C.
Command Tasks are a tried and trusted way of testing an individual's command and leadership skills. Still used at Westbury as far as I know for Officer selection. By the way, I don't think A* P*** would take to kindly to be called a fat fukcer!!

Yes, the FofS and YofS still do it, as do all Supervisory selection boards.

They also do individual problem solving exercises as well Whistler.

Hope this helps.

darth_fokker said:
whistler said:
darth_fokker said:

Command Tasks are a tried and trusted way of testing an individual's command and leadership skills. Still used at Westbury as far as I know for Officer selection. By the way, I don't think A* P*** would take to kindly to be called a fat fukcer!!

Hope this helps.
My bold. You're absolutely right, that's what they are good for - spotting the leadership potential of a young lad/lass straight from civvy life who wants to join the army. Not to assess soldiers who are one third to a half of a way through their career, you'd have thought their leadership potential would have been spotted by now. Didn't they need to be recommended to attend the selection? And wasn't part of that recommendation based on leadership qualities. Still sounds like padding to me!! Probably just because Blandford has a command task area sounds like the soft option when trying to decide what to include on the agenda.

If FofS and YofS now do this as part of their selection I can assure you they never used to - and not that long ago either. Skills, writing, trade based project, decision making exercise and interview by board of officers - no command tasks.

I don't know who the person with the asteriks in his name is but every time I did a command task there was an inevitable fat fecker with a mill board (who didn't look like they could do the task themselves).

You can't tell me that there wasn't resentment among the 'candidates' if one person got themselves noticed at someone else's expense!! Being a bit of a devils advocate here - and I can't see any serious benefit to it.

Has there been any mention of it from previous boards? Does the validation process show it to be a good thing? I'd be surprised if it did.

Hope that helps.

whistler said:
darth_fokker said:
whistler said:
darth_fokker said:

Hope this helps.
My bold. You're absolutely right, that's what they are good for - spotting the leadership potential of a young lad/lass straight from civvy life who wants to join the army. Not to assess soldiers who are one third to a half of a way through their career, you'd have thought their leadership potential would have been spotted by now. Didn't they need to be recommended to attend the selection? And wasn't part of that recommendation based on leadership qualities. Still sounds like padding to me!! Probably just because Blandford has a command task area sounds like the soft option when trying to decide what to include on the agenda.

If FofS and YofS now do this as part of their selection I can assure you they never used to - and not that long ago either. Skills, writing, trade based project, decision making exercise and interview by board of officers - no command tasks.

I don't know who the person with the asteriks in his name is but every time I did a command task there was an inevitable fat fecker with a mill board (who didn't look like they could do the task themselves).

You can't tell me that there wasn't resentment among the 'candidates' if one person got themselves noticed at someone else's expense!! Being a bit of a devils advocate here - and I can't see any serious benefit to it.

Has there been any mention of it from previous boards? Does the validation process show it to be a good thing? I'd be surprised if it did.

Hope that helps.
I can assure that Command Tasks have been in the YofS selection process since the week long selection has been in place. The YofS week involves an essay, command tasks, discussion groups, decision making ex and an interview. It used to have a BPFA, general knowledge exam and an isometric test too.

The_Rookie said:
It used to have a BPFA, general knowledge exam and an isometric test too.
Psychometric?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Royal Signals 5
X Royal Signals 2
bigbadjimmyp Royal Signals 47