Supermarkets to run GP services...

Hey, you can pay for your bypass with coupons and payback points!

Buy any six cartons of Prune Juice and get the enema free.

Will they offer b.o.g.o.f.f's as well?

This 'genius' idea just following last week's fiasco with junior doctor training with 8000 about to be unemployed.

Maybe there is a link?

I think I will get that lump looked at whilst getting my fresh tin foil.

Start off stacking shelves and work your way up to open-heart surgery?

A Boots store in Poole also rents out space to a GP clinic - it is expected any supermarkets or high street chain bidding in this new round of contacts would operate in the same way.
A GP in boots, sounds a bit Waltish to me.

Could be a general Puss in Boots, n'est pas?

(OK, I'll get my coat).

And as for the MMC/MTAS fiasco ... f**k. Words fail me. Just glad I don't work in the NHS.

Will there be a 10 ailments or less aisle?

Oi, DMTW, that coat is my jacket!!!

And people hanging about the fresh meat counter.

Waiting for a donor.

I wouldn't mind betting that some of the big supermarkets would do a better job of running the NHS than the hapless, gormless bunch of wallies directing it from Whitehall.

Caveat though: NOT Sainbury's, we've had enough of that family in politics.

Good idea I reckon, Tesco and M&S would do much better than Patricia (Labour's Virginia Bottomley) Hewitt.

Can you still exchange goods or do you get a hip replacement?

Isquared - I completely agree, what we really need is large profit making organisations making as many cuts as they can and paying the staff peanuts. (Not too dissimilar from the DoH I grant you, but at least the DoH is not doing it deliberately)

As long as we ignore all the confidentiality issues with patient/ consumer interfaces, how the data is stored.... and concentrate on opening times it is a sure fire winner.

Bloody Hewitt. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Quote from our great leader's newest 'idea'

'Empower'

Meanwhile, people could be told the cost of, say, a visit to the GP, in an effort to make them "more prudent" in their use.

So what this will do is put off people, mainly the elderly, from consulting their doctor with problems early, so as to save the NHS money, whilst the dole scum will still attend demanding sick notes and tests for their dodgy backs and knees.

The NHS is not a business. It cannot be run like a business, despite the number of business terms you might use to describe it (like the armed forces).

Obvious example (for the Sven's of the world). Keeping the elderly alive with the best quality of life costs the NHS a great deal, but is clearly inefficient.....

Careful, that's the start of an argument for eugenics.

But it is one of the logical extensions of the policy of 'efficiencies'. Once you stop being productive for the state, why should it support you? It would also sort out the pension crisis and solve two of Nulab's, self-created, main problems.

warrant said:
The thing is if you they going to have G.P. in our local super markets does that mean that they are going to have computers which can access every ones medical notes which are confidential
Yes but they'll be left in the carpark so anybody can steal them.