Supermarket shoopers - BEWARE

#1
I took The Scarey One shopping yesterday at Mo******s and marvelled at their range of "Buy One Get One Free" or other Specials. That was until I noticed in the small print, that even I couldn't read let alone an OAP, that it said "Offer ends 7th July". How many of us have been fooled by this and not even realised it at the checkout. Also, she bought a 1kg bag of tatties for £1 - fair enough, but tucked away around the corner were 2.5kg bag for £1.29.... barstewards. :evil:
 
#2
Did they do a two for one offer on the letter O?
 

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
#3
'Also, she bought a 1kg bag of tatties for £1 - fair enough, but tucked away around the corner were 2.5kg bag for £1.29.... barstewards'

...you cant really blame the supermarket for you being a dozy bugger who didnt look very carefully at what he was buying now can you?

;)
 
#4
Yeah, fair enough, but the writing is so friggin small it's hard to see and, anyway, it's well known they'll put the higher earners where you'll see 'em first and think you've got a bargain. The whole psychology behind supermarkets is a con. Loads of UV light in the tubes over the veggies to make 'em brigght and loads of red light in the, so called, butchers section where they have geeks dressed as butchers who haven't ever seen an animal slaughtered.
 
#5
Negligent-Discharge said:
Yeah, fair enough, but the writing is so friggin small it's hard to see and, anyway, it's well known they'll put the higher earners where you'll see 'em first and think you've got a bargain. The whole psychology behind supermarkets is a con. Loads of UV light in the tubes over the veggies to make 'em brigght and loads of red light in the, so called, butchers section where they have geeks dressed as butchers who haven't ever seen an animal slaughtered.
Blimey, anyone would think that they wanted to make money.
 

Sixty

ADC
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#6
Negligent-Discharge said:
That was until I noticed in the small print, that even I couldn't read let alone an OAP, that it said "Offer ends 7th July". How many of us have been fooled by this and not even realised it at the checkout.
"Your small-print is too tiny to read. I thought these were still two for one?"


"No. Offer ended on Tuesday"


"Fine. I'm not paying for this. We're off to Tesco / Sainsburys / Generic other supermarket. Get someone to put them back on the shelves"


Job done, I would have thought.
 
#8
MaddAussie said:
Actually if the Point of Sale (label) is still displayed they must honour it, if they get arsey threaten them with trading standards.

I think that's right, I shopped in Morries the other day and got caught out by this. They honoured the deal and then rushed over to take the sign off the shelf

Also, had the same thing in Tescos. Good for them though, when they make a mistake like that, they don't honour the deal. They give you the item and give you back the money for it too :)
 
#9
Not really, as long as they point out the actual price and give the shopper a chance to re-consider then then can refuse to sell anything to pretty much anyone,

(obviously not if they were charging someone one price because they were black/white/ disabled etc and then another price to others).
 
#10
MaddAussie said:
Actually if the Point of Sale (label) is still displayed they must honour it, if they get arsey threaten them with trading standards.
You are acutaly wrong with this, the price displayed is an invite to buy it does not have to be honoured by law, However most shops do as it is less hassel for them.
 
#11
defender said:
MaddAussie said:
Actually if the Point of Sale (label) is still displayed they must honour it, if they get arsey threaten them with trading standards.
You are acutaly wrong with this, the price displayed is an invite to buy it does not have to be honoured by law, However most shops do as it is less hassel for them.
What he said!
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#12
Negligent-Discharge said:
Yeah, fair enough, but the writing is so friggin small it's hard to see and, anyway, it's well known they'll put the higher earners where you'll see 'em first and think you've got a bargain. The whole psychology behind supermarkets is a con. Loads of UV light in the tubes over the veggies to make 'em brigght and loads of red light in the, so called, butchers section where they have geeks dressed as butchers who haven't ever seen an animal slaughtered.
And does any of this really matter, Mr Angry? Try writing to Morrisons. Alternatively, shop somewhere else you cheap-skate, tattie-eating, pikey b*stard.
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#13
Sixty said:
Negligent-Discharge said:
That was until I noticed in the small print, that even I couldn't read let alone an OAP, that it said "Offer ends 7th July". How many of us have been fooled by this and not even realised it at the checkout.
"Your small-print is too tiny to read. I thought these were still two for one?"


"No. Offer ended on Tuesday"


"Fine. I'm not paying for this. We're off to Tesco / Sainsburys / Generic other supermarket. Get someone to put them back on the shelves"


Job done, I would have thought.
Why do it the easy way though? Let's try to stop one or two squaddies from shopping at Morrisons. That'll dent their profits.
 
#15
PrinceAlbert said:
That'll teach you to shop in Morrisons you pikey. Go to Waitrose.
Thanks for all your comments.... as for callimg me a pikey, tatty eating whatever... get a life. I happen to be a hard working Scottish Sgt. and if you have the "pleasure" of being in front of me I shall tear yer feckin ears off befoie beasting you and then giving me and my mates some "entertainment" in the ablutions.

Waitrose quality is good, but expensive and there's no harm in Morrison's.
 
#17
jarrod248 said:
Negligent-Discharge said:
PrinceAlbert said:
That'll teach you to shop in Morrisons you pikey. Go to Waitrose.
Thanks for all your comments.... as for callimg me a pikey, tatty eating whatever... get a life. I happen to be a hard working Scottish Sgt. and if you have the "pleasure" of being in front of me I shall tear yer feckin ears off befoie beasting you and then giving me and my mates some "entertainment" in the ablutions.

Waitrose quality is good, but expensive and there's no harm in Morrison's.
Calm down dear. Supermarkets are robbers plain and simple, you just don't have to play the game. The offers are there to get you to buy them. do as I do write a list of what you need and only buy that and don't be led astray. The BOGOF on things you rarely use rips money out of people's pockets. Look for the loss-leaders things that they can't possibly make money on, these are often good buys.
Also bare in mind the packets of chocolate biscuits you can eat on the way round. This more than compensates for the dishonest approach to special offers that supermarkets take
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#18
Negligent-Discharge said:
PrinceAlbert said:
That'll teach you to shop in Morrisons you pikey. Go to Waitrose.
Thanks for all your comments.... as for callimg me a pikey, tatty eating whatever... get a life. I happen to be a hard working Scottish Sgt. and if you have the "pleasure" of being in front of me I shall tear yer feckin ears off befoie beasting you and then giving me and my mates some "entertainment" in the ablutions.

Waitrose quality is good, but expensive and there's no harm in Morrison's.
"Lucky 'eather Sir?"
 
#20
Sainsburys are very good with their 3 for a tenner bottles of wine, a few times I've gone in and they have only had one or two bottles left, they have always allowed me to pick another bottle(s) of wine up to £6 in value and charged me a tenner.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DontMentionTheWar The Intelligence Cell 23
Bowser-Mong The Intelligence Cell 26
PartTimePongo The NAAFI Bar 13

Similar threads

Latest Threads