Superior British Weaponry in WW2?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ty-worse-says-war-historian-MAX-HASTINGS.html

Reading this article and then the comment section got me wondering if during WW2 Britain had anything truly superior in regards its weaponry ,its generally accepted the Germans had the better tanks ,the Japs had the better Torpedos and the Americans had the best long range fighter aircraft [ the Mustang] and Carrier Aircraft ,what did we have i can think of possibly our Armoured Aircraft Carriers anything else?

B

bokkatankie

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ty-worse-says-war-historian-MAX-HASTINGS.html

Reading this article and then the comment section got me wondering if during WW2 Britain had anything truly superior in regards its weaponry ,its generally accepted the Germans had the better tanks ,the Japs had the better Torpedos and the Americans had the best long range fighter aircraft [ the Mustang] and Carrier Aircraft ,what did we have i can think of possibly our Armoured Aircraft Carriers anything else?
The Lancaster.

CQMS

LE
Shed loads, the Mustang only worked because it had a Merlin engine, we had a Navy that worked and the biggest superiority was in Int.

No one else came close.

ACAB

LE
Spitfire
Mosquito
Lancaster
Typhoon
25 Pdr
17 Pdr
Bren

Yep, started life as an AA Gun and it was not until much later that it was realised that fitted with an AP round it was more than a match for even the vaunted Tiger 1.

ACAB

LE
CQMS has hinted at it but Bletchley Park.

Radar

The Lancaster.

a fine workhorse but the yanks B-17 was comparable and its B -29 put both of those to shame in regards performance and payload,

the Mosquito i would agree with ,the Bren was i recall originally a czech design although manufactured in Enfield.

Never heard of the Smith gun. Sounds like a winner.

It's all that you would expect from something called the Smith Gun:

Smith Gun.jpg

Here making a guest appearance in an episode of Dad's Army. Which was what it was mostly used for-making people laugh. Malfunctioned at almost every opportunity and was responsible for loss of life on several range days.

Yep, started life as an AA Gun and it was not until much later that it was realised that fitted with an AP round it was more than a match for even the vaunted Tiger 1.

It was always held up as an example of British mullishness in that the attitude was that as an AA gun it would point skywards and nowhere else, in contrast to the Germans who were happy to wave their bloody 88mm alles uber der platz.

XPara Mugg

War Hero
This:
Bailey bridge 1.jpg
Bailey bridge 2.jpg
Bailey bridge team.jpg
Bailey bridge test.jpg

Or as described in A Bridge Too Far

Lt. Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur: When you refer to Bailey crap I take it you mean that glorious, precision-made, British-built bridge which is the envy of the civilized world?

ACAB

LE
a fine workhorse but the yanks B-17 was comparable and its B -29 put both of those to shame in regards performance and payload,

the Mosquito i would agree with ,the Bren was i recall originally a czech design although manufactured in Enfield.

You are having a laugh. I think the payload on both was 2,000lb, the Lanc could lift the ten ton Grand Slam.

The B-17 payload was about 5000lb - the Lancaster could carry double that as standard and quadruple that when modified. Given that a heavy bomber's job was to drop as much ordnance as possible on the enemy, the Lancaster was a superior weapon. The B-29 was next generation and the first truly strategic bomber.

ACAB

LE
Lt. Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur: When you refer to Bailey crap I take it you mean that glorious, precision-made, British-built bridge which is the envy of the civilized world?

And strangely enough, there is still one in good working order in Thetford Training area and one still in use in As Samawah, crossing the Euphrates, in Iraq!

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

The Mossie carried more than the B-17, the B-29 outdid the Lanc in performance, but not payload. We had absolutely nailed the heavy bomber concept and the strategy to go with them.

British Tank design at the end of the war set the benchmarks for the future.

Latest Threads