Superbowl LIII

Yawn. NE Patriots win again. Big whoop. Half-time show was shit too as were the commercials.

Superbowl.JPG

You think the cure for cancer had been discovered the way the press keep going on about it (and here in Australia where no one cares about Gridiron)

I've tried watching a few games, what struck me (as someone raised on Rugby League and Rugby Union) is that it is so bloody boring. They do about five seconds of work before standing around for a minute or two to do a couple more seconds of work. During those minutes of standing around, they have to show umpteen replays of the previous five seconds of work and try and distract everyone watching by bombarding the viewers with advertising at every possible opportunity and showing everyone related to the game from the cheerleaders to the coaches to the managers to the shmoes handing out peanuts.

Meh. Soft and rubbish version of rugby football over for another year.

Only America actually bothered.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
I thought this thread was about Superbowl Lill..

I'd rather watch paint drying. I've tried watching it over the years but found it extremely boring. I guess one has to grow up watching/playing the game to appreciate it.

Being from Massachusetts I liked watching it and liked the result. I actually do not watch US/Canadian football much as I much prefer watching ice hockey. I tried watching soccer football a bit as the owner of Boston's baseball team also owns a soccer team in Liverpool UK and a Cable TV sports network and the sports channel shows lots of Liverpool games. As to soccer football, I think I would prefer watching a paint drying competition.

I rarely watched any Superbowl for years as my old-guys, no-hit (supposedly) hockey group always had ice time on the Sundays when Super Bowl was on TV. Playing Hockey is a lot more fun than watching any sport.
Of course now at my age and after spine surgery I don't play hockey, just watch it.

Yawn. NE Patriots win again. Big whoop.
Tedious isn't it, the question is how many years will it take the rest of the league to work how how they do it, or will they just change the rules again to try and stop them, or suspend the QB, or are they just waiting for coach to die and hope his successor hasn't read the secret book.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Superbowl is all about the razzamataz and showmanship, very little about actual sport - the Septics love that.

But, over the past few years PC and politics has invaded this area and is ruining it, as it does in any area it touches. The hoo-haa after the 'wardrobe malfunction' by J Jackson which was or should have been, a storm in a tea, now dominated the halftime entertainment. Couple this with the calls for people to 'take a knee' to protest their President and all this crap overtakes any sport on display.

The game itself is purile and is rugby League without the skill, talent or stamina. There seem to be more umpires than players plus video referees so nearly every move seems to end in an infringement or call for one! The whole ethos of the game negates a smooth, flowing entertaining game - players blocking and tackling people without the ball ensures that nothing can happen other than a throw.

Compared to the 6Nations games last weekend American football looks so amateur and played by men in tights.

Being from Massachusetts I liked watching it and liked the result. I actually do not watch US/Canadian football much as I much prefer watching ice hockey. I tried watching soccer football a bit as the owner of Boston's baseball team also owns a soccer team in Liverpool UK and a Cable TV sports network and the sports channel shows lots of Liverpool games. As to soccer football, I think I would prefer watching a paint drying competition.

I rarely watched any Superbowl for years as my old-guys, no-hit (supposedly) hockey group always had ice time on the Sundays when Super Bowl was on TV. Playing Hockey is a lot more fun than watching any sport.
Of course now at my age and after spine surgery I don't play hockey, just watch it.
I care nothing for either the NE Patriots or the LA Rams.The last Superbowl game I watched was XLV when my Packers stomped the Steelers. That was a good game.

The Gunslinger and Aaron Rodgers.jpg

Brett Farve (No. 4) QB Green Bay Packers 1992-2008 (Left)

Aaron Rodgers (No. 12) QB Green Bay Packers 2008-Present (Right)

Superbowl is all about the razzamataz and showmanship, very little about actual sport - the Septics love that.

But, over the past few years PC and politics has invaded this area and is ruining it, as it does in any area it touches. The hoo-haa after the 'wardrobe malfunction' by J Jackson which was or should have been, a storm in a tea, now dominated the halftime entertainment. Couple this with the calls for people to 'take a knee' to protest their President and all this crap overtakes any sport on display.

The game itself is purile and is rugby League without the skill, talent or stamina. There seem to be more umpires than players plus video referees so nearly every move seems to end in an infringement or call for one! The whole ethos of the game negates a smooth, flowing entertaining game - players blocking and tackling people without the ball ensures that nothing can happen other than a throw.

Compared to the 6Nations games last weekend American football looks so amateur and played by men in tights.
Added to the above. There are 45 players on each team, which constantly have to "take the field" depending on whether the team is attacking, defending, kicking, recieving a kick or eating pizza during the commercial break. this means no-one actually plays for more than a couple of minutes. This then begs the question why these "athletes" need bloody oxygen after every play?!
After every play it is mandatory for all the players (regardless of whether they were actually involved) to high five, whoop and head butt the nearest teammate. (this is why they have to wear helmets). This takes at least 2 minutes which allows the 7 on field referees to reset for the next play.

This may be of interest (well more interesting than the game anyway)

An average NFL game: more than 100 commercials and just 11 minutes of play

An average professional football game lasts 3 hours and 12 minutes, but if you tally up the time when the ball is actually in play, the action amounts to a mere 11 minutes.

I have tried to watch American Football but it just seems like 4 hours of the commentators describing replays and breaking down specific details of play.

I think it would be fun to be in a bar with a stack of yanks getting drunk whilst a game happens in the background, I kind of did that last year in Austin and some of my fellow drinkers tried to explain what was happening but thanks to my intoxicated state and the complexity of the rules, I left with no clue whatsoever.

One thing that does make me laugh though is when people take the piss out of the players for wearing armour. As a friend who played both Rugby and American Football told me, they wear armour because they have to. He said that the tackles in American football are more direct, face on and a lot harder and would result in major damage without it.

We have seen last weekend what a brutal game of rugby can do to a team.

I still prefer Lingerie League to standard American Football though to be honest.

Tedious isn't it, the question is how many years will it take the rest of the league to work how how they do it, or will they just change the rules again to try and stop them, or suspend the QB, or are they just waiting for coach to die and hope his successor hasn't read the secret book.
Tom Brady is the man! :cool: The dude played for my school's team - the Wolverines.

Added to the above. There are 45 players on each team, which constantly have to "take the field" depending on whether the team is attacking, defending, kicking, recieving a kick or eating pizza during the commercial break. this means no-one actually plays for more than a couple of minutes. This then begs the question why these "athletes" need bloody oxygen after every play?!
After every play it is mandatory for all the players (regardless of whether they were actually involved) to high five, whoop and head butt the nearest teammate. (this is why they have to wear helmets). This takes at least 2 minutes which allows the 7 on field referees to reset for the next play.

This may be of interest (well more interesting than the game anyway)

An average NFL game: more than 100 commercials and just 11 minutes of play

An average professional football game lasts 3 hours and 12 minutes, but if you tally up the time when the ball is actually in play, the action amounts to a mere 11 minutes.
That’s with a team of up to 46 (only 11 on the field at a time) playing 16 games a year, so assuming he’s selected for every game (there can be up to 53 players on roster) an average player sees 44 mins of action per year...