• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

super regiments

It is indeed Ugly. I've kipped on the floor there more nights than I care to remember.

I am not sure about what has gone on there since the demise of 4RGJ, but Frank Cox (the contact on the site) has been a Greenjacket cadet officer for...must be 30 years probably more.

Incedentally, now that I am doing stuff with cadets I'd like to get back into shooting again (can't get much done with them as range days are for their benefit not ours). Since you are obviously big on it will you let me know if you manage to find a Lt Div leaning club.

Sapukay said:
Longterm, the Black Watch are by far the best recruited Scots Bn, the RHF are 2nd (but really trailing) and the other 4 were the long term numerically weakest Bns in the infantry, ergo it made sense to merge 1 RS and 1 KOSB, and 1 Hghldrs and 1 A&SH.
Many thanks for the info....you are a true Gent! :thumright:

Nomadcelt.....try this fur ya gub! :tp:

JONESY24546113 said:
Sapukay said:
Longterm, the Black Watch are by far the best recruited Scots Bn, the RHF are 2nd (but really trailing) and the other 4 were the long term numerically weakest Bns in the infantry, ergo it made sense to merge 1 RS and 1 KOSB, and 1 Hghldrs and 1 A&SH.

Aye, for the simple reason their recruiting areas have a greater population than the others. Roughly:

RS 334,770
RHF 1,351,350
KOSB 564,350
BW 1,252,940
Highlanders 807,480
A&SH 783,910

U

uncle_ho

Brew_Time said:
taggytwo said:
I started this as a joke, now look how seriously you have all taken it.
You need to calm down and remember who runs the Army, and ask yourselves which Inf regiments have never been merged.

you all hate the Guards to much, which to an ex GDSM is highly amusing, we never took ourselves seriously you dont need to when your the best. LOL
Best at what exactly - Bullsh!t and looking like a muppet outside Buck House, St James Palace and The Tower. Real soldiering eh.

BT :thumbdown:
so which superhero regiment were you in?
the para's? LI? Greenjacket? One of the Jock regiments?

or was it by any chance the Devon and Dorset regiment ? looked up to and respected throughout the entire British Army....DURCH

Sapukay said:
JONESY24546113 said:
Sapukay said:

Aye, for the simple reason their recruiting areas have a greater population than the others. Roughly:

RS 334,770
RHF 1,351,350
KOSB 564,350
BW 1,252,940
Highlanders 807,480
A&SH 783,910

Re-check your figures m8....would seem to be that the RHF have the biggest population to draw from. The demographic is only a part of the recruiting problem / solution. I thought the population of Edinburgh and the Lothians....RS area...was about 800,000?

With a much smaller population than England Scot Div /RRS recruiters have a fight to keep lads away from Scots DG/ Scots Guards / PARA Regt etc. Basically to keep recruiting up or at current level the RRS has to be able to offer potential recruits more than other units.

Problems associated with recruitng include.Better work opportunitys in particular areas.Higher wages than offered by the Army. People moving to further / higher education. The high numbers with criminal records. The general lack of fitness among young men....(I heard of one recruit being binned for being 2kg overweight! Unbelievable eh!).

The fact that you are going to end up in the sandpit at some stage.....is also a major factor, especially int he eyes of a recruits parents.And also the fact that the Army has less postings than we had before the end of the cold war.

EG- The current system sees 1RRS stationed in Edinburgh......the area they recruit in.....not very attractive eh?

uncle_ho....RE; DURCH......not heard that for a long while.......RGJ? :thumright:

ugly

LE
Jonsey given your locstat do you have hairy palms?

Misassigned 457,830 people! (Chuffing Sassinack that I am!)

Corrected figures:

RS 792,600
RHF 1,351,350
KOSB 564,350
BW 795,110
Highlanders 807,480
A&SH 783,910

Also, my recruitment area assignations were based on ~1887 assignments (when the King's Own Borderers were moved to Scotland and reassigned KOSB), with amalgamations taking the whole of the areas of their forebearers. Looking at the RHF (ex RSF (Ayrshire) and HLI (Glasgow)), they're so large because they absorbed the Cameronians area back in 1968

ugly

LE
I thought the Cameronians area went to the QOH? Ah well learn something new, I always like to learn history!

ugly said:
I thought the Cameronians area went to the QOH? Ah well learn something new, I always like to learn history!
You mean the CAMERONS,who were a different Regiment from the CAMERONIANS.

BTW QOH is Queens Own Hussars....Q O Hldrs is the correct abbriviation m8 :thumleft:

ugly said:
http://heritage.scotsman.com/people.cfm?id=971482006

The Cameronians and Queen's Own (Cameron) Highlanders were different regiments.

Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) were disbanded (not amalgamated) in 1968, while another Bn had to seize the armoury ISTR. The rather odd name derives from the fact that in 1881 neither regiment would admit being absorbed by the other, much like the 43rd/52nd but worse. The Bns called themselves 1st Bn, Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) and 2nd Bn, Scottish Rifles (Cameronians).

Hence 26th/90th has disappeared from the line (along with 18th, 65th/84th, 88th/94th, 100th/109th, 101st/104th, and 102nd/103rd) rather than amalgamating into larger regiments (5 of these were Irish disbanded in 1922, the other is the Yorks and Lancs, the Hallamshire county regiment.

They had the South Lanarkshire recruitment area and on disbandment the RHF.

Actually the KOSB took over the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) recruiting area of Lanarkshire. The Cams' chose disbandment rather than amalgamate with a non rifle regiment back in 1968.

Note: The Borderers, always a Scottish regiment despite several attempts to Anglicize them, were given the 25th District comprising Dumfries and Galloway (from the Royal Scots Fusiliers) and the Borders (from the Royal Scots), the 'Borderers' in the 25th's title conferred in 1805 previously described that between Highlands and Lowlands.

Busterdog said:
Actually the KOSB took over the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) recruiting area of Lanarkshire. The Cams' chose disbandment rather than amalgamate with a non rifle regiment back in 1968.

Note: The Borderers, always a Scottish regiment despite several attempts to Anglicize them, were given the 25th District comprising Dumfries and Galloway (from the Royal Scots Fusiliers) and the Borders (from the Royal Scots), the 'Borderers' in the 25th's title conferred in 1805 previously described that between Highlands and Lowlands.
Nothing to do with being rifles (which they weren't). Rather they were a strict Presbyterian Regiment which required soldiers to carry bibles etc. At chuch parade (including disbandment parade), a Guard would be posted at report back "No Catholics on Parade, Sir".

Thus the Army had 2 Regiments for Lanarkshire/ Glasgow, a Catholic Regiment (RHF) and a Presbytarian Regiment (Cameronians), broken down not by territory, but by religion.

The 25th (originally assign Berwick upon Tweed and northern Northumbria, but moved north in 1887) didn't officially take the 26th/90th area, but I suspect that they do recruit from the presbytarian population there.

ugly

LE
There were left footers in the rifles though, go to the earlier link at the scotsman and one says all about it!

ugly said:
There were left footers in the rifles though, go to the earlier link at the scotsman and one says all about it!
The demands of war I suppose, the regiment itself was pretty solidly Presbytarian, but ISTR under Wilson (spit) it was not allowed to segregate units because of religion, which was another bone of contention.

One of the videos of disbandment parade is quite good, you can see the perimeter guards watching out for "Catholics":

http://www.cameronians.org/_videos/Cams02small.mpg

Sapukay said:
Busterdog said:

Nothing to do with being rifles (which they weren't). Rather they were a strict Presbyterian Regiment which required soldiers to carry bibles etc. At chuch parade (including disbandment parade), a Guard would be posted at report back "No Catholics on Parade, Sir".

Thus the Army had 2 Regiments for Lanarkshire/ Glasgow, a Catholic Regiment (RHF) and a Presbytarian Regiment (Cameronians), broken down not by territory, but by religion.

The 25th (originally assign Berwick upon Tweed and northern Northumbria, but moved north in 1887) didn't officially take the 26th/90th area, but I suspect that they do recruit from the presbytarian population there.
A little inaccurate Sap'.
The Cameronians (26th Foot) were indeed 'red infantry' until their amalgamation with the 90th (Perthshire) Light Infantry in 1881 when they became a - Rifle Regiment - The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) (26th/90th) - of which they became intensely proud.

The CAMS recruited in Lanarkshire and shared Glasgow with the HLI. The RHF (an amalgamation of the RSF and HLI) are the Glasgow and Ayrshire Regiment (Ayrshire inherited from the old RSF) and never recruited in Lanarkshire. Although on formation in 1689 the Cameronians were strict Covenanters by 1881 there were catholics and protestants in the Cameronians - and the HLI, religion had nothing to do with the allocation of recruiting areas.

The KOSB (25th Foot) (City of Edinburgh Regiment) were allocated a Depot at Berwick Upon Tweed having first requested Dumfries. The Borderers (the 'Border' being between Highlands and Lowlands) never recruited in Northumberland, they were allocated the Scottish Borders, Dumfries and Galloway. Before 1881 the 25th did not have a traditional recruiting area being at the mercy of successive governments and subject to the whim of various monarchs though despite this managed to retain their Lowland Scottish identity. The Borderers were officially given Lanarkshire as part of their recruiting area (they flew the Cameronian flag on the CAMS regimental day each year in recognitionof this).

In conclusion the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) did indeed choose disbandment rather than be forced to amalgamate and lose their identity as a RIFLE regiment.

Latest Threads