Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by midnight, Mar 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There is a question on the QM´s thread about a yank product for stopping severe blood loss.

As ´Super-Glue´was developed by NASA for Vietnam,could soldiers in the field use normal,bought in the shops stuff for emergency treatment in the field?

It sounds daft but Super-Glue couldn´t be used for medical uses in many countries because of licencing restrictions,which I believe have now been lifted.

Is anything added to normal Super-Glue that would stop/harm you if used for emergency first-aid?

I wonder how long it will take untill the ´stuck-together squaddie´jokes emerge :threaten:
  2. I've used off the shelf super glue for years now for my own minor cuts and scrapes with no obvious ill effects... I don't even think i've scarred. Derma Bond is a "medical" super glue which costs a bloody fortune and does the same damn thing (and I can't for the life of me find my "borrowed" bottle to see what's so special about it).

I wouldn't go around trying to reattach limbs with it or anything, but it beats the hell out of sutures and is more durable than bandaids. Just make sure the wound is as clean as possible. You don't want to glue it shut full of crap and have it heal over with the shit still inside.
  3. Hystocryl - made by Braun has been out for at least 10 + years for the sticking of wounds. in 1997 it cost about £15 a tub (sufficiently enough glue to stick the wound edges together, with a little surplus to stick the glove of the user to the head of the injured!)
  4. I have used standard off the shelf superglue to close deep cuts on my hands, I think this wiki article explains what can and can't be used for what and why, I think formaldehide is the issue:
  5. I use Cyanoacrylate quite a bit in my job, the only diffences are the chemical composition, methyl-2-cyanoacrylate, used in Superglue and Krazy Glue and many others PST06 the one we use, and 2-octyl cyanoacrylate or n-butyl-cyanoacrylate, which are the type used in the aforementioned Dermabond and Traumaseal. The Fomaldehyde can cause allergic reactions see link
    The other main differences seem to be the viscosity.