Super Bainite Armour

Discussion in 'RAC' started by ObnoxiousJockGit, Apr 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Post at defensereview.com about this new armour. Dunno if it is a revolutionary armour or just cheap to make!

2. It's about the same performance as good armour-grade alloy steel, but is much cheaper to make, and has some potential for new manufacturing techniques.

3. I thought chobham was still our little secret and the yanks used steel alloys? Have the M1s been using them since initial production or is this a recent thing?

4. Wait till the penny pinchers apply their logic, along these lines:-
    1. All future armour to be based on super bainite
    so
    2. All future purchases will therefore cost less
    therefore
    3. We can cut the defence budget even further whilst calling it an increase in 'real terms',

You heard it here first...

5. @Pacifist_Jihadist; I'm pretty sure the US originally used Chobham on the M1 but replaced it with DU armour yonks ago.

6. CR2 uses, I believe, Dorchester. One could speculate on the differences.

7. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I was always led to believe that as soon as we had developed a round to defeat Chobham (APFSDS) we started to sell it to recoup the costs. After all, AIUI we only got CR1 because Shir Iran 2 had been destined for the Shah, but when he was desposed, the deal was cancelled and we had 1200 tanks that were better than we had already.

8. I think that "Export Chobham" was different from ours-4 less Boron atoms or somesuch-but that might have been an urban myth!

9. There is a Wiki article on ceramic armour......warning: your brain may bleed reading it.

10. BBC article from earlier this month.
    Not unexpected really considering Leo2 uses it.