Sunshine shoeshine.

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
Due to previous and existing health problems I've found the job market to be less than welcoming. So I've decided to try and start my own mobile shoe shine business going to office blocks at first and setting up in reception areas.
I'm looking for feedback really, would you make use of the service if you knew it was in your place of work?

Got stopped once by a mobile shoe shine boy in Marrakech. His opening pitch was "Hey man. Your boots look like sh1t."

I would recommend alternative marketing strategies.

Make sure your own shoes/boots are beyond criticism. They'll be the first thing the punters look at.

If going to office blocks be nice to the door admin staff and security, annoy them and its difficult to get in in the first place.

Print business cards.

DaManBugs

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
I'm not sure if setting up in reception areas is such a good idea. It's basically an arbitrary decision by some manager, but it could just as well be rescinded by another - and for no real reason. My recommendation: scout the industrial estates around your location. The "busy" ones will most certainly have either a permanent or mobile sarney outfit somewhere, or maybe even two. That's where you set up, because folks are going to have to wait in the queue anyway, so they can catch a quick shine while they're at it.

MsG

Due to previous and existing health problems I've found the job market to be less than welcoming. So I've decided to try and start my own mobile shoe shine business going to office blocks at first and setting up in reception areas.
I'm looking for feedback really, would you make use of the service if you knew it was in your place of work?
Yes and no. What do you envisage your price being? In all honesty I wouldn't pay more than a quid for something I normally do myself.

I'm not sure if setting up in reception areas is such a good idea. It's basically an arbitrary decision by some manager, but it could just as well be rescinded by another - and for no real reason. My recommendation: scout the industrial estates around your location. The "busy" ones will most certainly have either a permanent or mobile sarney outfit somewhere, or maybe even two. That's where you set up, because folks are going to have to wait in the queue anyway, so they can catch a quick shine while they're at it.

MsG
What the **** do you know about working for a living?

I imagine that people who feel that shiny shoes are important to them. Will already have shiny shoes.
To get the other punters to care you need to be offering shiny shoes plus some sort of experience. An example would be all the faffing about snapping cloths as you buff as per every 1930s gangster movie. Just shining a shoe won't be enough.

Yes and no. What do you envisage your price being? In all honesty I wouldn't pay more than a quid for something I normally do myself.
A fair point, and a lot of people on this site were trained by the Queen Gawd bless 'er to make footwear shiny. But to many people it is a bit of a mystery.

Having said that lots of workers don't wear 'smart' business attire so add

Market research to my last.

Most businesses have someone who's job it is to attract and vet contractors offering services to their staff. Find out who it is for the bigger companies in your vicinity, and discuss it with them. They might think it's a great idea, or they might suggest something that would be more appropriate for them, but still use your skills.

If going to office blocks be nice to the door admin staff and security, annoy them and its difficult to get in in the first place.
A free service for the security bods might be a good advert.

DaManBugs

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
So what would you pay if you weren't being as honest, lurch?:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

MsG

Most businesses have someone who's job it is to attract and vet contractors offering services to their staff. Find out who it is for the bigger companies in your vicinity, and discuss it with them. They might think it's a great idea, or they might suggest something that would be more appropriate for them, but still use your skills.

A free service for the security bods might be a good advert.
And cleaning their shoes.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
If you're doing business cards, print a loyalty card on the back. Buy five shoe shines, get the sixth free.

Firstly - best of luck to you.

We have a shoeshine company that comes to the office once a week. They seem moderately busy, but have a contract to walk the floors asking for business.

I do wear reasonably smart shoes to work as do my colleagues, but TBH, the last time i used a shoe shine stall was Jo'burg airport to use up the last few Rand in my pocket that wasn't worth changing.

To make it financially worth your while you would need to factor in transport costs and therefore tend to be limited to large city office blocks with companies that have dress codes to make it worth while. E.g. most call centres are staffed by people who wear trainers as there is no dress code whereas my cousin works in a financial services company which does have a dress code including "proper" shoes".

Do your research, do some marketing, and good luck to you for not sitting on your arrse doing nothing. :salut:

I wish you well but I honestly have no idea whether such an enterprise is bound for success.

Judging by the scuffed, dusty and matte state of the shoes of younger generations (and I'm talking about those working in offices and in retail), shoe care, whether administered by themselves or by others takes a low priority in their scheme of things. I honestly believe that it doesn't even register that their footwear is gopping.

Women seem especially bad in this respect and even if things do come to their notice, the solution is to go out and buy a new pair of shoes.

There's a shoeshine guy who has a permanent spot in the Devonshire Square courtyard in the City. You can either take a seat in his chair while he does your shoes or leave them with him to collect later in the day. He seems to be pretty busy whenever I go past.

MY suggestion would be to look at railway stations as a possible location, if only for the 06:00 - 09:30 rush hour. My local station has a man with a coffee van in the car park 05:30 - 10:30, he's constantly brewing for punters.

Have you considered a sandwich /baguette etc business instead ? Get permission to visit offices and you should be quids in.