Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Sunni and Shia tensions

Much has been made of the tensions between these two groups in Iraq. Has there been any spillover into the UK? Are groups of Shias roaming Bradford on the lookout for Sunnis to re-educate?

What's the difference between Sunni and Shia? Does anybody know? Is it like the Catholic and Protestant strands of Christianity or is the difference more fundamental?

It seems to be only in that region. I can't speak for anywhere else, but here in the states, the two groups seem to get along just fine, even as far as to have joint events in my neighborhood, and welcome jews and christians to join the festivities. From what I here on this forum though, I gather it's a different affair in the UK.

Ancient_Mariner said:
What's the difference between Sunni and Shia? Does anybody know? Is it like the Catholic and Protestant strands of Christianity or is the difference more fundamental?
Yep.

The similarity is in the structure of clerics (ie, kind of like cardinals or bishops)

Sunni = Protestant Structure
Shia = Catholic Structure (It's sort of like the Catholic church, but with no pope figure, so they aren't as unified, but they all consider themselves brothers and sisters of the shia)