sunni and shia islam

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Now from what I can remember as a kid (20-25 years ago) on the odd occasion such things caught my attention, it was always the shiities being demonised in the news media and I harcly recall mention of sunnis at all. Roll round to the late 90s and AQ launching its jihad against the Far Enemy of the USA with numerous bombing, culminaging in St. Skyscrapers Day it seems the sunni are usually portrayed as the main enemy of our "decadent" western existence.

Why is this? Was the anti-shia messsage due to the iranian revolution ousting America's puppet shah? Hizbolah being a threat to Israel? And were the sunni sect always populated with a minority of nutters but in the 80s they were fighting the Red Army and thus were OUR nutters?

I will admit I know little of the differences between the two main sects other than approximate geographical location. And know nothing of the smaller islamic sects other than a few of the names, so interested in the differences and why they hate each other so much. Or the reasons they give for hating each other anyway.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Emo Phillips said:
Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!"

He said, "Nobody loves me."

I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes."

I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?"

He said, "A Christian."

I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?"

He said, "Protestant."

I said, "Me, too! What franchise?"

He said, "Baptist."

I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist."

I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist."

I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region."

I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative†Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912."

I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Maybe I should have waited a few days until the world cip was over for a seriois answer. But thanks fo4 the sniggers and giggles lads, @rampant especially

Shia most of the rulers of the gulf states and Saudi Arabia, sunni Iranian and the marsh Arabs and the majority of the gulf states population who get the odd shoeing from the rulers. Should any reader wish to be enlightened as to the difference between the two sects of Islam its all to do with the successors to the prophet (pbuh) and his nephew Ali (possibly).

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Shia most of the rulers of the gulf states and Saudi Arabia, sunni Iranian and the marsh Arabs and the majority of the gulf states population who get the odd shoeing from the rulers. Should any reader wish to be enlightened as to the difference between the two sects of Islam its all to do with the successors to the prophet (pbuh) and his nephew Ali (possibly).
I know enough to know youve got em the wrong way round. Iran is shia, saudi is sunni

I've met many from both sides ... and they all love their children

But not necessarily ours ....
Golda Meir said:
"Peace will come to the Middle East when the Arabs love their children more than they hate us."

Nowadays, it would be"... more than they hate everyone else, including the other Muslims."

I spent a bit of time kicking round Ningxia Province which is home to a large number of Hui Muslims, most of whom were (non-Sufi) Sunnis. They were a lovely crowd, very hospitable and there didn't seem any obvious tension between them and local polytheists.

Last edited:
Highlights the obvious flaw in religion, you band together under a belief you have invented to feel secure, then someone else comes along with another belief, and only one can be true, it says so in your holy texts, so you have to make them shut up, they become less than human, infidels, non beleivers, godless, violence must follow, and always does.

Religion IS a form of violence.

Highlights the obvious flaw in religion, you band together under a belief you have invented to feel secure, then someone else comes along with another belief, and only one can be true, it says so in your holy texts, so you have to make them shut up, they become less than human, infidels, non beleivers, godless, violence must follow, and always does.

Most religions are essentially neutral in the sense that they are open to interpretation.

One person can use a religion as a tool to achieve personal peace, find a moral framework, and gain the impetus to do good in the community.

Another person can use exactly the same belief system to impose a burden of guilt, fear and sexual repression on his children, amass wealth through dishonesty, and oppress his neighbours.

Some religions do tend to lend themselves to the commission of evil, attracting hysterical fanatics in search of dogmatic absolutes and the opportunity for conflict. I won't say which one springs to mind, but it isn't Buddhism or Jainism...

Alls I'm sayin' here, 'bout these muzlums, right, alls I'm sayin' is, if any 'em wants fer till move intil this steet here, they'd best be Prodisint muzlums, right?

An' here...Here... I hope there's no drugs! There better be no drugs!

It's a bit like Tories and Lib-Dems only with less hostility.

Religion is also a form of populace control exercised by those who beleive they are right and have all the answers with a massive superioty complex. Not always true of first line vicars priests etc but the superior attitude seems to get stronger the higher they go.

I did used to know a very pleasant Catholic Padre and his friend from Seminary that was now a Monsignor several years ago. Both very amenable and seemed to genuinely care about the troops. Much less interested in "spreading the word" but very interested that the lads were happy. Father Kevin was a bastard for nicking fags but did provide a stunning amount of booze for his occasional "lets see what interesting things we can find in the bible" sessions in his quarter

The worst rabid frothers outside a Slough mosque have been left footers as well. Odd