sunglass lenses

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by tank6275, May 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. looking at getting a pair of oakleys for personal use not military as im not sheduled to go anywhere near the sandpit soon, but can anyone explain what the difference is between normal lenses and polarised lenses are

2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

polarised lenses cut down on glare from the sun reflecting off water/glass - something to do with the light waves travelling parallel to one another after they are reflected.

3. so it may be worth spending a bit more for polarised lenses then

4. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I always get them with mine, I seem to notice a difference.

5. Depends whether you spend your time around water or glass.

6. well in civvy street im a lorry driver, tend to get a lot of glare from windscreens

7. They are good for when skiing too as they stop glare from the snow.

8. Good if you are a fisherman, they let you see into the water on sunny days, past any glare that may be there.

I thought most windscreens were polarised these days??

9. Not recommended mate
    Polarised shades highlight the lamination in the windsreen.

10. Yeah, you can see all kinds of stress patterns, its quite cool, although a bit distracting.

11. so just normal lenses then, they will mainly be for driving

12. I have polarised sunnies and the plus side effect it has is that I can see right through a car instead of getting glare from the windshields and rearwindow. I prefer polarised for driving.

13. lol mixed results there! dunno which to go for still but if your a regular driver cloggie id be more likely to sway with you. you a civvy driver or a loggie? im both haha

14. I'm a loggie in civvy street,rifleman in the TA :)
    Just ask the sunglass salesman for the pro's and con's.
    I'm sure he or she can advise you what to go for.

15. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

For what its worth, I find that you can only see the lamination on the rear windscreen of a car..

I don't know if lorry's are different, but I have polarised sunglasses for car driving and they seem fine.