Sunday 20/11/11 BBC2 at 9pm-Frontline Medicine

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by spike7451, Nov 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Hat's off to them all for the marvelous work they all do.

Ministry of Defence | Defence News | People In Defence | TV programme showcases military medics' work in Helmand

• Like Like x 1
  2. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

here y'go...

The filming in Role 3 took place during Herrick 14, if you know people who were on that tour - they may wish to tune in to Episode 1 - Survival

Linked press article at Michael Mosley on the medical lessons learnt in Afghanistan and how they can help improve physical-injury care in Britain | Mail Online

( oooh get him and his intra-osseous perfusion then....)

Episode 1 will be of interest to wider Service audience apart from Medical perss.

Episode 2 is more focussed on leading edge medical advances. Will also go out in US via BBC WORLD channel over there.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

It will be interesting to see what's ended up in the programme.

4. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Don't worry VB .....you are nowhere to be seen !

35 hours of footage boiled down to 60 minutes for Episode 1.

5. Anybody remember the the SSVC production 'Army Medicine in Vietnam' when serving in the 80s ? it always used to be the first thing on first aid / combat med tech courses.

I wonder if they still show it?

6. just starting - very interesting programme

7. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Did you see the radiogram of Ronalds body & the shattered leg?...

8. Like the field tourniquet. Revelation.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Well impressed with the med stuff. But why the hell was a medic wearing a Para helmet on the MERT. Sod that, Mk 7 all the way.

10. What a ******* incredible watch. Hat is off, and doffed in a respectful manner. I feel that next week may be a "harder watch", there but for the grace of god etc........

• Like Like x 1
  11. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Rare to see the presenter bubbling up as well,looks like the injured & the scale at which they were coming in really got to him.If anyone finds this on You Tube,can you let me know as I have a friend who's a US Army reservist medic & she was asking about it.
    Ta.

12. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Spike....it's due to go out over there too....BBC World...tx date not yet known...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Facinating watch - but why did the presenter go to the US rather than Headley Court? Is it to appeal to an American audience?

14. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

It just happened that the two Coalition VSIs who came in while they were filming were USMC.....and they wanted to follow up their progress in US, where they were also due to film a lot of stuff which appears in Episode 2 ( In Walter Reed/Bethesda, Pittsburgh and MIT for example) . They were keen to film some of our people - but timelines didn't work.

Be advised, I understand next week is pretty much entirely non-tactical medical advance stuff....no helos, no dusty vehicles and hardly a mtp uniform in sight .....still worth a look though !

15. I think you have missed the point here, He went where there are potential breakthroughs being made. Does it really matter where, it could have been anywhere in the world. He was trying to show how these breakthroughs are made, the fact that combat injuries ensure that medical practice changes in "normal" civvi life.