sun protection - egypt

Discussion in 'Travel' started by jonni, Apr 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. alrite people, im off to egypt in june, and i really dont wanna get burnt in 100degree heat, ive got my trusty bush hat and stuff to keepme protected but i think the budget creams are not gonna help me like they do in places like tenerife.

im normal skinned and tan quite easily, but can burn in the first few days, just want recomendations on the best stuff? i dont want something thats gonna end up with me covered in dust and stuff sticking to me.

what are lads in iraq issued with? if anythin

piz buin? ambre solere?

ill probably get factor 30

i know lads/ladies on here will have been to iraq etc, so best place to ask really for comparible weather.

all helpand advice much appreciated

many thanks in advance

2. I went to egypt in october a couple of years ago and think we took soltan with us and had no problems, I wouldn't buy really cheap sun cream but there is no reason to buy anything special.

3. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Stay in a bar old bean :lol:

4. The sun didn't bother me last time I was in Egypt as I was mainly in a wetsuit under the Red Sea!

5. soltan irritates me to be honest, after a few days when i put it on it stings

6. Take spanish_daves advise and stay in the bar. I've heard man-fat by nivea is a good sun block.

7. Wear a burqah?

But staying in the bar seems the only sensible option.

8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

You dont say what you are doing - chilling out on the beach sunbathing?

I am there 4-5 times a year and it seems we have a similar skin type. If you do not deliberately sit out in the sun your only problem will be your head (hat) and forearms/calfs depending on what you are wearing. Take some block (50+) to put on exposed places when you over do it, you may need some lip balm (Piz buin alpine is good) if you spend a lot of time in the desert.

9. I find wearing coveralls and a welders helmet offer good protection from sun burn

10. A duffel coat over chinese fighting suit and 3 Romeo will most likely screen out the worst effects.

Hope this helps.

11. I found that light coloured long sleeve shirts, and similar trousers all topped off with a natty local bought shamagh stopped me getting burnt while I was out and about, and staying under the umbrellas by the pool solved the problem while I was at the hotel. Get the bar staff to bring drinks to you, and you can stay in the shade...

12. If you can source Banana Boat sunscreen (an Oz product) do so as it's the mutt's nuts.

Edited to add: I've Googled UK suppliers and you can get it here.

13. When I was in Sharm diving last October I used Piz Buin factor 30 to start with then moved down to P20, whack it on after a shower in the morning wait an hour before going into the sun so go to breakfast etc etc then you have factor 20 protection all day no matter how much you swim/towel down, there's no need to re-apply. The only drawback is getting hold of the stuff!

But if you are near Sharm as JD says just get underwater and blow some bubbles it's the best diving I've ever done!!

14. [factor 30 to start with then moved down to P20, whack it on after a shower in the morning wait an hour before going into the sun so go to breakfast etc etc then you have factor 20 protection all day no matter how much you swim/towel down, there's no need to re-apply. The only drawback is getting hold of the stuff!

Ultrasun is better than P20 as it doesn't stain you clothes like pish. :lol:

oddly enough there is a link at the bottom of the page for a company selling US; and no I have absolutely no connection with them before you ask. :crash: