Sun: "MoD Pay £22 For 65p Lightbulb"

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by soleil, Mar 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. poundland were doing 6 for a pound, just saying

2. What was the D of Q though?

3. Surely "MoD pays £2.4 billion for crappy radio system" is a more shocking headline?

Or "MoD pays £1 billion for Future Lynx helicopters that are built from dodgy cut-and-shut parts"

Etc, etc, etc.

4. The waste is appalling. I walk every day past the Bulford Library. Closed due to cuts in November but the lights have been on the whole time.

I'm sure we all see this kind of waste, incoming redundancies and degradation of terms of service don't exactly make staff more likely to go out of their way to sort problems.

5. Try looking on the Atlas DII(F) AD catalogue and explain why one can by legit software downtown for £45 (adobe Photoshop) and they charge FOUR HUNDRED PLUS QUID !!!! If that is not a rip-off, what is. Atlas have taken the MOD to the cleaners over DII. £100 for a drop, £35 a month account maintenance, £800 to move a terminal from one room to another, allegededly £100 bill to the MOD every time the RLI SPOC get a call.
    A RIP OFF ON A BREATHTAKINGLY GRAND SCALE

6. To be fair to ATLAS, they have confirmed that they don't charge the MOD for phone calls to the SPOC in a money-wasting internal publication last month (which I can't find the link for). I'd rather blame the cretin that negotiated the contract for MOD, he's probably working for ATLAS by now though.....

7. *cough*

Adobe CS5 Photoshop (PC): Amazon.co.uk: Software

8. What was the idiot thinking when they signed the invoice off. Every Serviceman knows there is so much waste in the forces and it is mainly because of backhander contracts to old mates in the civil service, I bet.

9. The NHS can trump that a practice manager I know was quoted £2k for a double plug socket fitting. We have to use whoever has the maintenance contract for the building.

10. Lets face It. If there was an investigation in to the criminal wastage in the MoD the prison system would break. The government wouldn't have the bollocks to prosecute the main offenders though would they?

11. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Is this actually real, are those lightbulbs and screws exactly the same as joe public can buy. I don't know but sometimes there is more to a story than meets the eye, this is the Sun for gods sake

12. How many Servicemen, MoD employees and contractors does it actually take to change a £22 light bulb.

I had to phone the RQMS, who had to put a requisition in to the Site Estate Representative, who submitted the proforma to the Sodexho Site Manager, who tasked two old ******* to come with a ladder and change the flourescent bulb. Oh, because it was a tube I suppose it cost £143. This is what comes of micro financial management and contractorisation. Why not go back to the old Propman system? It would save £21.45 at least.

13. Yep. Patients left sitting in the gloom after a lightbulb went. No internal handymen so had to call out. That **** B lair has more then two wars to answer for, PFI is his legacy. None of the three main parties even mentioned it in their manifestos of course, the only way to keep building and stacking up the debt for the big fall in the future.

14. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Well how come you havn't put your name down for the Salisbury crawl.