Summer trekking trip ideas.

I was thinking of Karakorum or Afghan Pamirs but I am also quite tempted by via ferrata. Has anyone been there or knows other interesting places to recommend.

Thanks

SC

The Camino de Santiago de Compostela, also known in English as The Way of St James. You will meet some very weird people on the route and, if you're lucky, get your leg-over :) LINK

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
The Camino de Santiago de Compostela, also known in English as The Way of St James. You will meet some very weird people on the route and, if you're lucky, get your leg-over :) LINK
A F@cking great laugh to be had on this one, I almost became religious, but only so I could shag one of the Girls on the trek, corrupting young catholic girls is a definite " Must Do " in my book

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm old and lucky enough to have been able to trek around the World in the 70s when you could go trekking in places that would now be suicidal, Herat to Bamyan, in Afghanistan. and Lamusango to Base camp in Nepal are two of the most memorable, but the Spanish Pilgrim trek is nice and close to home and a F@cking great time even if you might find the Jesus freaks a bit odd, in Fact I believe the Martins Scheens new film is about it, but if you don't fancy going abroad try trekking from Abergavenny to the coast along the Black mountains, Brecon Beacons and Cambrian mountains, if you don't want to walk, try riding a pony across Wales for a week, hard on the arrse and digestion, we were pissed every night
Riding Holidays, Weekends, Horseback trail riding in Wales, Brecon Beacons, UK

A F@cking great laugh to be had on this one, I almost became religious, but only so I could shag one of the Girls on the trek, corrupting young catholic girls is a definite " Must Do " in my book
No no no....this trek is to confess your sins and not to commit new ones...:)

I'm old and lucky enough to have been able to trek around the World in the 70s when you could go trekking in places that would now be suicidal, Herat to Bamyan, in Afghanistan. and Lamusango to Base camp in Nepal are two of the most memorable, but the Spanish Pilgrim trek is nice and close to home and a F@cking great time even if you might find the Jesus freaks a bit odd, in Fact I believe the Martins Scheens new film is about it, but if you don't fancy going abroad try trekking from Abergavenny to the coast along the Black mountains, Brecon Beacons and Cambrian mountains, if you don't want to walk, try riding a pony across Wales for a week, hard on the arrse and digestion, we were pissed every night
Riding Holidays, Weekends, Horseback trail riding in Wales, Brecon Beacons, UK
As I am very much interested in Afghanistan I would love to do that trek but I guess it won't be possible for some time. However, a lot of independent trekkers got to Wakhan Corridor which seems to be quite safe area.

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
As I am very much interested in Afghanistan I would love to do that trek but I guess it won't be possible for some time. However, a lot of independent trekkers got to Wakhan Corridor which seems to be quite safe are.
Check out Michael Yon on Facebook he's in Farah, western Afghanistan wondering around in the ruins of Alexander the great's city, the jammy cnut

https://www.facebook.com/MichaelYonFanPage

Check out Michael Yon on Facebook he's in Farah, western Afghanistan wondering around in the ruins of Alexander the great's city, the jammy cnut

https://www.facebook.com/MichaelYonFanPage
Agree....

However, he's not there on his own but attached to forces. In 2002 Rory Stewart trekked from Herat to Kabul and described his trek in 'The places in between'. I would definitely recommend if you interested in the country.

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
What channel was that? I went to his talk today in NAM and got an autograph....:)

Theres also a film about lost Russian tank during the war in Afghanistan -The Beast, I think its called.

I would also recommend to read 'The kite runner'
it was on Channel 4 in UK, repeated tomorrow night I think, Read the Kite runner and seen the film, I thought the Beast was crap, not a very good depiction of tank operations, I've crewed a T55/72/BMP at Grafenworre on a enemy equipment course with gear the Yanks got from the Israelis

I was thinking of Karakorum or Afghan Pamirs
I did my horsemanship course in the Tajick Pamirs, it's a fabulous part of the world.
The terrain is challenging and the locals are incredibly hospitable. In our downtime we even managed to explore Khiva and Samarkand, both places I'd thoroughly recommend.

Where I am currently working: Sinphuhorm mountain. The English translation means (allegedly) the mountains breeze brings mist.It's a former US air force bomb drop zone where aircraft that returned from bombing missions over Laos and Vietnam would jettison any remaining weapons before landing at the nearby Udon Thani airbase. It's got the lot - unknown quantities of all kinds bombs, grenades, sub-munitions and other things. The ground is a harsh, rocky terrain covered with jungle and bush. Temperatures reach 40 C and the humidity is horrible at times. The jungle is full of plants, trees, creepers and basted trees that catch your clothing and skin, trip you up and give you rashes as well as septic cuts. There is a tree called the Vanish tree which gives you allergic reactions just by standing near it. And then there are the insects - a veritable etymological cornucopia of things that bite, sting, suck blood, lay eggs in you. poison you and give you exotic diseases. Then there are snakes including Russels viper, Cobra, King Cobra and loads more. I almost forgot the wild pigs, wilder than a Glaswegian on lighter fuel and of course poisonous things with lots of legs that scurry along the floor of the jungle. Oh and Scorpions. And more things. But to me, its a work place. Then you go to Udon Thani and meet the girls. Aaahhh yes, another story entirely. Give it a go its a great place to get to.

Where I am currently working: Sinphuhorm mountain. The English translation means (allegedly) the mountains breeze brings mist.It's a former US air force bomb drop zone where aircraft that returned from bombing missions over Laos and Vietnam would jettison any remaining weapons before landing at the nearby Udon Thani airbase. It's got the lot - unknown quantities of all kinds bombs, grenades, sub-munitions and other things. The ground is a harsh, rocky terrain covered with jungle and bush. Temperatures reach 40 C and the humidity is horrible at times. The jungle is full of plants, trees, creepers and basted trees that catch your clothing and skin, trip you up and give you rashes as well as septic cuts. There is a tree called the Vanish tree which gives you allergic reactions just by standing near it. And then there are the insects - a veritable etymological cornucopia of things that bite, sting, suck blood, lay eggs in you. poison you and give you exotic diseases. Then there are snakes including Russels viper, Cobra, King Cobra and loads more. I almost forgot the wild pigs, wilder than a Glaswegian on lighter fuel and of course poisonous things with lots of legs that scurry along the floor of the jungle. Oh and Scorpions. And more things. But to me, its a work place. Then you go to Udon Thani and meet the girls. Aaahhh yes, another story entirely. Give it a go its a great place to get to.
No really, I would never guess :)

Do you mean lady boys...

I had a bit of jungle trekking in Nepal last year. The place was full of leeches but lucky for me I got only one. Apparently my blood is not too tasty.....how fussy.

I did my horsemanship course in the Tajick Pamirs, it's a fabulous part of the world.
The terrain is challenging and the locals are incredibly hospitable. In our downtime we even managed to explore Khiva and Samarkand, both places I'd thoroughly recommend.
I was thinking of going to central Asia a lot. To be honest its the only part of the world that I am really interested in. Silk Road from Osh to Myrgrab to Kharugh on a horseback would be just amazing.

Did you go with a travel agency or just organized everything yourself?

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
I was thinking of going to central Asia a lot. To be honest its the only part of the world that I am really interested in. Silk Road from Osh to Myrgrab to Kharugh on a horseback would be just amazing.

Did you go with a travel agency or just organized everything yourself?
I drove the Southern Silk road from Istanbul in 77 and then on to Kathmandu on" adventure training"