Summer trekking trip ideas.

Discussion in 'Travel' started by sweet_cheek, Feb 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was thinking of Karakorum or Afghan Pamirs but I am also quite tempted by via ferrata. Has anyone been there or knows other interesting places to recommend.

Thanks

SC

2. The Camino de Santiago de Compostela, also known in English as The Way of St James. You will meet some very weird people on the route and, if you're lucky, get your leg-over :) LINK

3. That sounds quite good and I could practice my Spanish on the way there.. ;)

4. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

A F@cking great laugh to be had on this one, I almost became religious, but only so I could shag one of the Girls on the trek, corrupting young catholic girls is a definite " Must Do " in my book

5. Canader

That sounds much more like me. Ice and rocks, just great combination. Thanks :)

6. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I'm old and lucky enough to have been able to trek around the World in the 70s when you could go trekking in places that would now be suicidal, Herat to Bamyan, in Afghanistan. and Lamusango to Base camp in Nepal are two of the most memorable, but the Spanish Pilgrim trek is nice and close to home and a F@cking great time even if you might find the Jesus freaks a bit odd, in Fact I believe the Martins Scheens new film is about it, but if you don't fancy going abroad try trekking from Abergavenny to the coast along the Black mountains, Brecon Beacons and Cambrian mountains, if you don't want to walk, try riding a pony across Wales for a week, hard on the arrse and digestion, we were pissed every night
    Riding Holidays, Weekends, Horseback trail riding in Wales, Brecon Beacons, UK

7. No no no....this trek is to confess your sins and not to commit new ones...:)

8. As I am very much interested in Afghanistan I would love to do that trek but I guess it won't be possible for some time. However, a lot of independent trekkers got to Wakhan Corridor which seems to be quite safe area.

9. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Check out Michael Yon on Facebook he's in Farah, western Afghanistan wondering around in the ruins of Alexander the great's city, the jammy cnut

https://www.facebook.com/MichaelYonFanPage

10. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

11. Agree....

However, he's not there on his own but attached to forces. In 2002 Rory Stewart trekked from Herat to Kabul and described his trek in 'The places in between'. I would definitely recommend if you interested in the country.

12. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

just watched him on 10 o'clock live , and I have read his book, I also liked James Micheners book"Caravans" the film and the song

YouTube - Barbara Dickson - theme from the film 'Caravans'

13. What channel was that? I went to his talk today in NAM and got an autograph....:)

Theres also a film about lost Russian tank during the war in Afghanistan -The Beast, I think its called.

I would also recommend to read 'The kite runner'

14. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

it was on Channel 4 in UK, repeated tomorrow night I think, Read the Kite runner and seen the film, I thought the Beast was crap, not a very good depiction of tank operations, I've crewed a T55/72/BMP at Grafenworre on a enemy equipment course with gear the Yanks got from the Israelis