Summer of unrest?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by dangerousdave, May 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Undercover Guardian investigation reveals plan by English Defence League to hit racially sensitive areas in attempt to provoke disorder over summer.

MPs expressed concern tonight after it emerged that far-right activists are planning to step up their provocative street campaign by targeting some of the UK's highest-profile Muslim communities, raising fears of widespread unrest this summer.

Undercover footage shot by the Guardian reveals the English Defence League, which has staged a number of violent protests in towns and cities across the country this year, is planning to "hit" Bradford and the London borough of Tower Hamlets as it intensifies its street protests.

Senior figures in the coalition government were briefed on the threat posed by EDL marches this week. Tomorrow up to 2,000 EDL supporters are expected to descend on Newcastle for its latest protest.

MPs said the group's decision to target some of the UK's most prominent Muslim communities was a blatant attempt to provoke mayhem and disorder. "This group has no positive agenda," said the Bradford South MP, Gerry Sutcliffe. "It is an agenda of hate that is designed to divide people and communities. We support legitimate protest but this is not legitimate, it is designed to stir up trouble. The people of Bradford will want no part of it."

The English Defence League, which started in Luton last year, has become the most significant far-right street movement in the UK since the National Front in the 1970s. A Guardian investigation has identified a number of known rightwing extremists who are taking an interest in the movement – from convicted football hooligans to members of violent rightwing splinter groups.

Thousands of people have attended its protests – many of which have descended into violence and racist and Islamophobic chanting. Supporters are split into "divisions" spread across the UK and as many as 3,000 people are attracted to its protests.

The group also appears to be drawing support from the armed forces. Its online armed forces division has 842 members and the EDL says many serving soldiers have attended its demonstrations. A spokeswoman for the EDL, whose husband is a serving soldier, said: "The soldiers are fighting Islamic extremism in Afghanistan and Iraq and the EDL are fighting it here … Not all the armed forces support the English Defence League but a majority do."

Following the British National party's poor showing in this month's local and national elections anti-racist campaigners say some far-right activists may be turning away from the ballot box and returning to violent street demonstrations for the first time in three decades.

Nick Lowles, from Searchlight, said: "What we are seeing now is the most serious, most dangerous, political phenomenon that we have had in Britain for a number of years. With EDL protests that are growing week in, week out there is a chance for major disorder and a major political shift to the right in this country."

In undercover footage shot by Guardian Films, EDL spokesman Guramit Singh says its Bradford demonstration "will be huge". He adds: "The problem with Bradford is the security threat, it is a highly populated Muslim area. They are very militant as well. Bradford is a place that has got to be hit."

Singh, who was speaking during an EDL demonstration in Dudley in April, said the organisation would also be targeting Tower Hamlets.

A spokesman for the EDL confirmed it would hold a demonstration in Bradford on 28 August because the city was "on course to be one of the first places to become a no-go area for non-Muslims". The EDL has already announced demonstrations in Cardiff and Dudley.
  2. How fucking dare they compare what they do with what we do, shitcunts
  3. 842 members out of ~250000 regular and reserve members of the armed forces? My maths may be wrong here, but I'm fairly sure that's not a majority.
  4. Witnessed the EDL march through Newcastle today and i must admit im very confused as to what they actually stand for. On one hand they claim to be a non-violent group formed to represent and defend traditional English values in a non confrontational mannor. Whilst at the same time being quoted as saying things like 'The soldiers are fighting Islamic extremism in Afghanistan and Iraq and the EDL are fighting it here'. Can anyone shed some light on what i see as a very distasteful organisation?
  5. The EDL are just dull uneducated cnuts who think they are Uber Brit. Us sensible right of centre law abiding citizens have nil appetite anywhere in the UK for their nonsense. They are just the last few bits of plankton left over from the Football Firms of the 1970's & 80's trying to stir up trouble. Hope they get the good news and a hard shoeing from Robert at any demonstration. Any Squaddie who joins should be ashamed and I hope that has AGAI 67 action taken against them.
  6. It could be worse Killaloe, you could think that "The Baron" was involved in PIRA bombings.

You mental twat.
  7. Just a summer would be fine... unrested or not?!
  8. Have never thought that at all or indeed posted anything on the Baron been a Jon Bon Jovi.
  9. And no mention of UAF at all then? How can that article be given any credibility at all when it pretends the UAF aren't as big a part of the problem as the EDL?
  10. We should all be on the streets rioting at the state our country has become. That article is a load of biased crap. Where was the mention of the UAF who also attend these marches?

And how the feck can you tar all the EDL with the same brush? That is like saying all Muslims are terrorists.

In the this country, we have a right to protest.
  11. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

ah, but the UAF are the good guys. :p

if they're anything like some of the ANL bods some of my friends used to hang around with in the early nineties, they're just as bad and equally into the mindless aggro, just telling themselves they have a different justification.
  12. Communists on one side, fascists on the other.

Get them into a field somewhere and carpet bomb the lot.
  13. I'm glad to see they're calling it the ENGLISH defence league :D Wouldn't want us decent Scots being associated with such trash !!!

Any squaddie involved with these pondlife should be ashamed of themselves !!
  14. Cos the UAF are a response to EDL. both are a bunch of cnut, but the EDL unilaterally peddles a message of hatred, while UAF respond.
  15. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

the ******** element of the EDL would find a lot of wind taken out of their sails if the moderate Muslim community (which we're told by the media, and from my experience I have no particular reason to doubt) would make it clear that all the extremist suicide bomber types have nothing to do with them and dont speak for them. because no matter what side of the media I look I hear very little in that respect. and I'm hoping that the coalition will kick the lunatic fringe of the MCB well into touch as well.