More on the summer of indifference this time from London Coalition Against Poverty with a Week of Action on the Welfare Abolition Bill March 7 - 15. What are they protesting about, see my bold in red quoted from their website
London Coalition Against Poverty, Disabled Peopleâs Direct Action Network and Feminist Fightback are calling on all groups concerned with the eroding of our welfare rights to take part in a week of action against the Welfare Reform Bill, renamed by us as the Welfare Abolition Bill.
As the government has bailed out the banks and rewarded the bosses with big bonuses they have been stealthily pushing through a bill that will virtually abolish welfare for single parents and disabled people. Poor people are being made to pay for the financial crisis caused by the rich.
The bill proposes a number of Draconian changes including:
* Introducing a compulsory work for benefits system in a US-style workfare scheme
* Privatising more of the JobCentre Plus to companies which will be paid more the less benefits they award.
* Increased punishments for claimants
* Cuts on carersâ allowance
* Forced 2-parent registration on birth certificates, including for survivors on violence