Summer Challenge at Grantham is a cluster ****

Hi,my son`s joined up at Grantham Summer Challenge.He`s been there a week and so far he`s bored out of his head,he`s even complaining there isn`t enough PT,all he seems to do is wait around for the staff to figure out what to do next.He`s fed up & bored to tears.He said he`d expected it to be a challenge & push his limits,but no.Even ex regs can`t believe how un organised it is...What the hell is going on with the so called Summer Challenge.When I did my basic training over 25years ago I was running around like a headless chicken,I never had time to be bored....I was going to ring the wo2 of training ,but my son said not to ,incase they pick on him.

The_Duke

LE
No, you must call up the WO2 and tell him exactly what you, and your son, think of his training programme.

I bet your son won't complain about being bored and not enough phys for too long after that.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Bit of a challenge for him then is it? :)

Wah shield up!

If you were in 25 years ago you should know how bad an
Idea it would be to phone up for 'your son'.

Wah shield off!

Although looking at your only other post, are you sure you're not an instructor hoping for some feedback on rumours!!! ;)

Christ if your sons complaining about doing nothing as a reservist, wait till he works in a regular unit. Furthermore ringing the DS to complain on behalf of your son is the gayest thing ever.

Wah shield up!

If you were in 25 years ago you should know how bad an
Idea it would be to phone up for 'your son'.

Wah shield off!

Although looking at your only other post, are you sure you're not an instructor hoping for some feedback on rumours!!! ;)
Yes I know what a bad Idea it would be,thats why I haven`t called him up.I`m just upset that the training standards have dropped so much.

If he wanted a challenge he should have come up to do the one in Scotland......the AT involves wandering all over the Cairngorms in this wonderful dry weather we're having...Drowned Rats spring to mind, the first week always tends to be disorganised no matter how well planned.

all he seems to do is wait around for the staff to figure out what to do next..
Not too sure what the problem is. He is being given and accurate and realistic taste of TA life. I used to get this every Wednesday and most weekends. Welcome to the world of pissed PSI's and "should have left years ago" SNCO's

If he wanted a challenge he should have come up to do the one in Scotland......the AT involves wandering all over the Cairngorms in this wonderful dry weather we're having...Drowned Rats spring to mind, the first week always tends to be disorganised no matter how well planned.
Hi,he said the most challenging thing he`s done is trying to work the washing machine..lol

Not too sure what the problem is. He is being given and accurate and realistic taste of TA life. I used to get this every Wednesday and most weekends. Welcome to the world of pissed PSI's and "should have left years ago" SNCO's
:thumleft:I know.As you get older you always think that it was better in my day lol....RCT

Just a thought, but as there are over 2500 guys going through Grantham this week and last for Op Olymics, this may throw a small spanner in the running of a 30ish strong course.

Hi,my son`s joined up at Grantham Summer Challenge.He`s been there a week and so far he`s bored out of his head,he`s even complaining there isn`t enough PT,all he seems to do is wait around for the staff to figure out what to do next.He`s fed up & bored to tears.He said he`d expected it to be a challenge & push his limits,but no.Even ex regs can`t believe how un organised it is...What the hell is going on with the so called Summer Challenge.When I did my basic training over 25years ago I was running around like a headless chicken,I never had time to be bored....I was going to ring the wo2 of training ,but my son said not to ,incase they pick on him.
I'd be more worried that my offspring did not possess the "shame" gene and was happy joining the TAs.

Don't forget that this is the TA that claims it can provide 30,000 trained people to deploy in formed, collectvely trained, units to take thier place in the line beside their full time colleagues. So as you would expect, running a bit of individual training should be pretty straightforward.......

It's been the same since forever. "Hurry up and wait".