Summer Challenge 2011 - BMI too high?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Jabo, Apr 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, just a quick question.
    My BMI was too high when I went to see the RE to talk about joining up. They told me they'd look at my application again in 6 months. Well 6 months has past and it's still too high.
    Is there any chance I could join via the Summer Challenge? I reckon with the intensity of the training it would get my BMI down to the right level by the end of it.
  2. Eat less, drink less, exercise more - not exactly rocket science.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for that :-/
  4. You had 6 months to get it down already. Short of removing your legs, take the hint Jabba.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. There's no need to be a twat.
  6. Thats not twatness its just ARRSE humour .....
  7. Then it would appear that ARRSE humour is twatty. Does anybody have the actual answer to my question?
  8. BMI is average weight to height so its just about reducing your BMI level to the standard of 'healthy'. The issue with a BMI is that it doesn't take into consideration muscle weight.
  9. [​IMG]

10. I know this. I do a considerable amount of weight training, hence the high BMI. I'm by no means unhealthy however.

Regardless, would the Summer Challenge folk make me comply with the same entry guidelines or not?
  11. Yes, BMI is done for entry into all services either at Selection for TA or in the AFCO for Regulars. What area of the BMI are you within and how far?
  12. IIRC the recruiter said she would need me at 28 maximum, I'm a 30
  13. Yeah, don't want you comfort eating.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Stay off the weights - get on the CV. You'll need to get it down even if you can pass all the other tests. TA will most probably look at your application and see you've not got your BMI down in 6 months and think that you haven't shown enough commitment.

What was your BMI on application and what is it now mate?
  15. Grab some Thermopure from Myprotein that'll help you reduce the body fat % without gaining to much muscle and you should be able to get around 28.