Summer Balls - How much do you pay ?

I'm in the process of arranging an all ranks do and am trying to balance arranging a good event that people will want to attend against keeping the costs (and consequently the ticket price) down. My initial proposal of £25 a ticket apparently had people up in arms as it was too high, so I am looking for ways of subsidising the costs and bringing this down.

What do other people pay for their summer balls as I don't think £25 is too much or am I just too ready to hand over my cash ? Also what do you do to try and keep the ticket price down ?

Any advice gratefully received.

IDONTNEEDAHAIRCUT said:
What do other people pay for their summer balls as I don't think £25 is too much or am I just too ready to hand over my cash ? Also what do you do to try and keep the ticket price down ?
That price doesn't sound too bad (ours is a little higher) but it is an all ranks function and soldiers will need to hire relevant gear which will add to the overall cost.

I wonder if your unit is the only one outside of London to have summer balls? Not knocking it, those functions are good.

I remember being given 3 days pay to cover the cost of hiring a DJ, as I was Mr Vice for 2 WESSEX (1989).

msr

IDONTNEEDAHAIRCUT said:
I'm in the process of arranging an all ranks do and am trying to balance arranging a good event that people will want to attend against keeping the costs (and consequently the ticket price) down. My initial proposal of £25 a ticket apparently had people up in arms as it was too high, so I am looking for ways of subsidising the costs and bringing this down.

Any advice gratefully received.
Get them a day's pay for helping set it up / tear it down.

msr

IDONTNEEDAHAIRCUT said:
No need for anyone to hire anything this year (following more complaints that people couldn't afford to hire DJ's).
Thats a pity, a break with tradition. Is your unit becoming 'normal', like the remainder of your regiment

Not if they do 8 hrs work.

msr said:
Not if they do 8 hrs work.
A whole 8 hours?

Crikey, check you out.

Don't check me out, check out TA Regs ;)

msr

We had our all ranks event in London last weekend.

We were all charged half a days pay plus £34 for each guest ( i took the Mrs).

The costs tend to build when you take into account prices for London hotels/travel to said city/new shoes for Mrs GM.

Probably spent ~£200 for the pair of us. ( I got a days pay though)

I have two Balls potentially to attend this summer.

My workplace Ball is at HMS Belfast, and is £50/person (Champagne Reception, 2 Course Dinner and wine, followed by Disco till late).

The Ball organised by the Mess I am a member of will also be £50/person (Champagne Reception, 2 bands plus disco, fun fair, arcade games, dinner, hot and cold snacks, breakfast, and all you can drink over a 12-hour period...).

The London event will not require accommodation, whereas the other one will but, in balance, free booze and food for 12 hours wins out for me and the OH. 8)

the RY sgt mess summer ball 07 was nearly £60 a head plus a hotel room that was £70,£60 spends so it cost £250 for a nite out, if you can put on a function for £25 thats good; a few tips live music goes down well but getting artists that sing to backing tracks are cheaper, consider a hot buffet rather than a silver served dinner, and as someone mentioned, you will have to put the feelers out, fancydress this saves on dinnersuit and gown hire for those without messdress, we had one the other year and the theme was 'saturday night at the movies' everyony came in character i.e rambo, blues brothers etc... someone even turned up as charles hawtrey. we had a scream and a good nite was had by all

Thanks for all the feedback.

The £25 covered a 4 course meal, wine, band and disco so it would seem that we are doing quite well in any case so that puts my mind at rest.

I can't wait until the people who are complaining about the cost get to the point where they have to organise the do. I can just see it now, cheese and pineapple on sticks and and a glass of Liebfraumilch listening to a CD !

IDONTNEEDAHAIRCUT said:
Thanks for all the feedback.

The £25 covered a 4 course meal, wine, band and disco so it would seem that we are doing quite well in any case so that puts my mind at rest.

I can't wait until the people who are complaining about the cost get to the point where they have to organise the do. I can just see it now, cheese and pineapple on sticks and and a glass of Liebfraumilch listening to a CD !
If you can do all that for £25 in 2007, I salute you. :D

No reason for anyone to say they can't manage DJ hire, then. :roll:

Maintaining standards . . . . . 8) 8)

Just a few tips. See if the Coy fund will offset some of the cost as most of you use the bar at some time. See if any of your founder Regimental associations will make a donation. Point out that the beer is cheaper than the local, so savings there. Spread the cost over a few months i.e a fiver a month. Than have a 'ball' Sorry I will now slap myself

BernardMcCabe said:
Spread the cost over a few months i.e a fiver a month. Than have a 'ball' Sorry I will now slap myself
When I was first told that some people couldn't afford it as they were students my first thought was 'why don't they save up then' but that would obviously require self discipline. Edited to add that the OTC that share our TAC are having a ball where tickets cost £30 !

I've put in a request for some funds from the sqn but have been told not to be too hopeful. Apologies if this is coming across as a whine but I just needed to get it off my chest. I know there is no way I will be organising the function next year :D