Summer Balls - How much do you pay ?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by IDONTNEEDAHAIRCUT, May 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm in the process of arranging an all ranks do and am trying to balance arranging a good event that people will want to attend against keeping the costs (and consequently the ticket price) down. My initial proposal of £25 a ticket apparently had people up in arms as it was too high, so I am looking for ways of subsidising the costs and bringing this down.

What do other people pay for their summer balls as I don't think £25 is too much or am I just too ready to hand over my cash ? Also what do you do to try and keep the ticket price down ?

Any advice gratefully received.

2. That price doesn't sound too bad (ours is a little higher) but it is an all ranks function and soldiers will need to hire relevant gear which will add to the overall cost.

I wonder if your unit is the only one outside of London to have summer balls? Not knocking it, those functions are good.

3. No need for anyone to hire anything this year (following more complaints that people couldn't afford to hire DJ's).

4. msr

msr LE

I remember being given 3 days pay to cover the cost of hiring a DJ, as I was Mr Vice for 2 WESSEX (1989).

msr

5. Have a theme for the ball? I remember one of ours many moons ago ,made it a beach party.No cost for special gear as we all had shorts, t-shirt and flip flops.Hired a velcro wall, borrowed a 'pool' from the crabs etc etc.

6. I sport the same pair of balls all year round, but wouldn't mind coughing up for an air conditioned pair for the summer.

7. msr

msr LE

Get them a day's pay for helping set it up / tear it down.

msr

8. Thats a pity, a break with tradition. Is your unit becoming 'normal', like the remainder of your regiment

9. thats fiddling the books... yet another TA thing gone

10. msr

msr LE

Not if they do 8 hrs work.

11. A whole 8 hours?

Crikey, check you out.

12. msr

msr LE

Don't check me out, check out TA Regs ;)

msr

13. shh.. what if its a little less and/or they've already done 8 hours

14. We had our all ranks event in London last weekend.

We were all charged half a days pay plus £34 for each guest ( i took the Mrs).

The costs tend to build when you take into account prices for London hotels/travel to said city/new shoes for Mrs GM.

Probably spent ~£200 for the pair of us. ( I got a days pay though)

15. I have two Balls potentially to attend this summer.

My workplace Ball is at HMS Belfast, and is £50/person (Champagne Reception, 2 Course Dinner and wine, followed by Disco till late).

The Ball organised by the Mess I am a member of will also be £50/person (Champagne Reception, 2 bands plus disco, fun fair, arcade games, dinner, hot and cold snacks, breakfast, and all you can drink over a 12-hour period...).

The London event will not require accommodation, whereas the other one will but, in balance, free booze and food for 12 hours wins out for me and the OH. 8)