Summer Ball v Charity

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Vent_Tube_Tester, Jul 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The other day I along with many others where I am based , attended a Sgt’s Mess meeting and like the many I have attended over the past 20 years, listened to the same format that all Sgt’s messes have. Being summer time, a lot was given over to the forthcoming summer ball, programme for the evening, setting up, taking down and the costs. Again probably the same as every other mess has/is going through at the moment, unless they are on Ops.

Later on that day as I was travelling home & listing to BFBS, a report came on a bout an officer in the RMP who has been paralysed on Ops, he had just gone back to his unit to attend a parade. He is at present trying to raise £1 million for ‘Help The Heroes’ by completing next years London Marathon. As that report finished my thoughts returned to that ‘Groundhog Day’ mess meeting, also voted across was the sum off a few hundred Euros to a chap who had done a leg of the Tour de France and also voted across was a few thousand euros to replace the garden furniture. To me personally that is in this day and age, getting our priorities and whatever moral standards we have completely wrong.

So what I suggest now as only a suggestion is this, every Officers & Sgt’s mess donate the monies that are set aside for their summer balls in 2009 is donated to ’Help The Heroes’ or the ABF. Think about it, every year thousands upon thousands of pounds/euros is literary pissed up against a wall or flushed down a toilet. Every mess is quite happy to vote across money from the GPF to offset any costs for that function or to spend on mess improvements, but how much to we hand over in charitable donations? Don’t get me wrong there are many fundraising events taking place through out the military every day which raises a lot of money. But imagine how much could be donated in a single lump sum if every mess cancelled their summer ball for one year? Also included could be the Cpl’s mess & the profits from the JRC as well.

So it is the moral dilemma, imagine you are the PMC of a mess & letter came across your desk suggesting this idea, what would be your answer? Would it be a yes or if it were a no then why, what reason would you give to the person making that request?

Again this is just a suggestion to see if it feasible and to see if we can break from tradition for just one year, you never know it might catch on, large institutions that have summer balls/celebrations may do the same. It’s worth a go, is it not?

2. Thanks for the '2 replies', just a bit stunned that there were no other comments made. One dear friend of mine did say that if I/ A N Other, would propose such a thing then "be prepared to be stoned to death". And you know what, it feels like that. Obviously it is more important to know who carries drill sticks & the correct way to wear the SAA badge.[/quote]