Summary Hearing v Major Admin Action?

Can someone explain the difference between a Summary Hearing infront of your CO and receiving a Major AGAI 67 from them? How is it decided what you get or is it purely down to severity of the crime etc?

I’ve recently seen on P1O’s that some charges received at Summary Hearing are recordable on the Police National Database and it’s got me curious as I’ve had Major Admin Action taken against me in years gone by.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Can someone explain the difference between a Summary Hearing infront of your CO and receiving a Major AGAI 67 from them? How is it decided what you get or is it purely down to severity of the crime etc?

I’ve recently seen on P1O’s that some charges received at Summary Hearing are recordable on the Police National Database and it’s got me curious as I’ve had Major Admin Action taken against me in years gone by.
Just thought I’d quote it.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Summary hearing is an Army Act* offence and/or Criminal. AGAI is Administrative. Simple really.

* Armed Forces Act in new money.

Here we go. This is all in the MSL..
Anything you are charged with under the MSL can lead to a it being a recordable offence. They are listed within, and any Assisting Officer (or how defined) can advise accordingly.
Or read the relevant JSP.

What happened to, March the Guilty bastard and his lying cohorts in Sarnt Major

War Hero
As for what you get, if you mean sentencing then there is a JAG guide to sentencing in Court Martial. which you will find online and in AGAI 67 there is a table of gradings giving examples of conduct and the level of sanction. Also available online.

If you mean which one of the two options you get, then read the start of AGAI 67 for guidance.

Even after summary dealing, civi court action or CM you can still be AGAI'd even if found Not Guilty. It is all in the AGAI 67 document. As the newspaper sellers used to say:
"READ ALL ABOUT IT"

Tuffty

War Hero

Maybe your in the wrong line of work if you have a record of being a pain in the ass matey

Cobbler

Swinger
An explanation that may help:
A Service Law offence is heard at Summary Hearing or Court Martial, they are criminal offences as prescribed by Criminal Law and/or the Armed Forces Act.
Recordable offences (on the Police National Computer (PNC) are those offences that you would also be dealt with in Civilian Law e.g. theft/robbery, Fraud, ABH/GBH, murder/manslaughter, sexual offences etc...
Non recordable offences are those offences that are classed as Military offences e.g. AWOL, Failure to Attend/Report for Duty, Negligently Performing a Duty, Conduct to the Prejudice of Good Order and Military Discipline etc...
Service Law offences will attract awards ranging from RoPs, Reprimands and Fines through to Reduction in Rank, imprisonment/detention including suspensions of imprisonment/detention and any in between.
These offences are judged Beyond Reasonable Doubt.
AGAI 67 Minor/Major Admin Action is for actions in breach of the Service Test, which is:
"Have the actions or behaviour adversely impacted or are they likely to impact adversely on the efficiency or Operational Effectiveness of the Service"
The series of Service Test questions relate to standards, confidence, V&S, CoC relationships, personal relationships, adverse media, undermining of trust, morale, good order and discipline, unit cohesion or falling short of the standards expected for the rank and and service of the individual etc...
They will attract sanctions ranging from Muster Parades/Extra Duties, Extra Work, Formal Interview through to Reduction in Rank and Termination of Service.
These sanctions are judged on the Balance of Probability.
Some of you may be familiar with both of these forms of maintaining Military Discipline, some for the wrong reasons:
For those who aren't or need more, further detail can be found in both the Manual of Service Law (JSP 830) and AGAI 67. ;)