Sultan Qaboos Dies

BBC report

As if things in the Gulf weren’t already complicated enough...

I imagine that this will give the FCO some rather sleepless nights over the coming days.

[I appreciate that there’s a post in the Dead Pool thread, but this departure does have some interesting possible implications for the UK’s position in the Gulf]

Oman hitherto being a staunch British friend in the Middle East, you could be right.

Hopefully there's no reason to assume his successor will not be a friend to Britain, and the wider Western world.

Many years before I knew him one of my SNCO trade instructors had been to Oman sometime in the 1960’s, we’ll call him Sam. He left the country of Oman under a bit of a cloud and that was all that was ever mentioned to us trainees.

After I left the school to ply the trade upon an unsuspecting army there was an official visit. His Excellency Sultan Qaboos Bin Said was going to visit the depot and the school.

What happened on the day of the visit became legend and was passed to me by students and gob smacked senior ranks who were there.

Everyone is stood to, waiting, neatly pressed, bulled boots and shoes glistened under the fluorescent lighting. The WO1 is waiting outside our wing of the school, the instructors and students are in their respective work areas lined up at ease and waiting.

In due course His Excellency and the entourage of 1 & 2 stars, bag carriers and sycophantic civil servants arrive. The WO1 throws one up, WO2 looking down the corridor see’s it happen through the window and warns everyone. In comes His Excellency, the troops are called to attention.

His Excellency pauses, switches off the autopilot official visit mode, breaks out in a big beaming smile. He strides over to SSGT Sam, grips his hand and shakes it saying words to the effect of, “my good friend Sam I have not seen you for many years”. Apparently there was some adhoc, off the cuff reshuffling of schedules done as His Excellency insisted on spending time with his old friend.

We never did find out why SSGT Sam had to leave Oman, but it must have been good.

Rest In Peace, both of you..

Last edited:
This could be massive.

Reputedly HMA to Oman “has” the envelope with Qaboo’s successor’s name within his safe.

Robme

LE
Only just seen this.
1975, found me spending a lot of time in Oman as a member of the BATT (not front line Aka Mirbat, but Air Dispatcher) supporting troops on the ground with various drops as well as transporting Omani Citizens to and fro the Country. Saw Dubai before all the modernisation as well as Slave ships impounded in the harbour area. All in all a thoroughly great time for a young Tom not long Joined up engaged in a real war, if somewhat subdued.
Post the overthrowing of the Old Sultan who has been not seen since a previous attempt to overthrow him by the Army. His Son Qaboos had trained at Sandhurst, took over and set about modernising the Country. It was the Old Sultans habit of filling in village wells, if the villagers upset him. Education was limited, there were no officers with a higher rank than Lieutenant such was his (justified) fear of getting slotted. No TV, No Radio, no foreign travel and so on. Making the North Korean little Rocket-man a paragon of enlightened virtu by comparison. Best of all the country sat in a commanding position overlooking the Straights of Hormuz, through which most of the west’s Oil traffic travelled.
Almost as great was Qaboos was throughly Anglo-filed, and when he took power, assisted by the British Army, he invited them in to help him. When the inevitable punch-up began as various Commy nutters read the tea leaves and came to the conclusion that now would be a great time to take over the country (Should have used tea-bags) Needless to say, as the only country who has beaten Commy takeovers 3 times (Malaya, Borneo (not technically Commy) and eventually Oman), the Brits jumped at the opportunity to assist the Sultan. For more details of the 6 year war, you can do no better than read ‘SAS Secret War‘ by Tony Jeapes (Head shed of the SAS BATT in country at the time). And a recently published book ‘SAS Operation Storm, 9 men against 400’ where you can read a true account of why the SAS are the very best (Both available at a very low cost on Amazon).
Anyhoo back to this young Tom, who had become very friendly with the local Baluchi mercenaries whom had been recruited to form the back-bone of the new Sultans Army. I had become friendly with a young Baluchi Tom called Ali (he actually had a very long name which I couldn’t pronounced), he was killed whilst out on patrol and I was asked to accompany the body back to his home in India. When I returned I was ‘instructed’ to attend a meeting with the Sultan, who thanked me for what I had done. He was a very nice man who also showed interest as to why I was in country assisting him with his war. Needless to say the reality of ‘well I was posted out here’ were replaced with some gumph about always wanted to see the country, people, camels et al.
Years later we’ll knackered and living on my War Pension, I needed to have a stair-lift fitted. Chatting with an ex-member of Them, who I have known for many years, he advised me to write a nice (Begging) letter to the Sultan and see if he could help fund the lift? 3 months later a small cheque arrived in the post, for Robme’s stair-lift.

muscat_diver

Old-Salt
This could be massive.

Reputedly HMA to Oman “has” the envelope with Qaboo’s successor’s name within his safe.
My understanding is that the council will discuss a successor, and if all agree then that person will take the role. If even one disagrees then the envelope is opened to reveal the Sultans choice of successor. There are said to be several copies of the same envelope including one held by Betty herself.

muscat_diver

Old-Salt

"Sultan Haitham bin Tariq Al Said, 65 years old, has been sworn in after Oman’s Defence Council announced he would succeed the late Sultan Qaboos as ruler of Oman.

A tweet from an Omani Government account said that he had been sworn in "after a meeting of the family" and that the decision to appoint him reflected the wishes of Sultan Qaboos".

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A great leader, known by more than a few on here from their "advisory roles" with BATTs. From what I know of him, he dragged his country out of poverty and built the infrastructure to make it a real "Jewel" in the midst of political upheaval. His neutral stance, politically, was welcomed by many, especially after brokering an arms deal between the US and Iran. He wouldn't allow corrupt politics within his country, those guilty of corruption were hurriedly dealt with.

A great leader, known by more than a few on here from their "advisory roles" with BATTs. From what I know of him, he dragged his country out of poverty and built the infrastructure to make it a real "Jewel" in the midst of political upheaval. His neutral stance, politically, was welcomed by many, especially after brokering an arms deal between the US and Iran. He wouldn't allow corrupt politics within his country, those guilty of corruption were hurriedly dealt with.
Will the new bod be the same as Qaboos was or be the same as most other (bent) rulers in that part of the world?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Only just seen this.
1975, found me spending a lot of time in Oman as a member of the BATT (not front line Aka Mirbat, but Air Dispatcher) supporting troops on the ground with various drops as well as transporting Omani Citizens to and fro the Country. Saw Dubai before all the modernisation as well as Slave ships impounded in the harbour area. All in all a thoroughly great time for a young Tom not long Joined up engaged in a real war, if somewhat subdued.
Post the overthrowing of the Old Sultan who has been not seen since a previous attempt to overthrow him by the Army. His Son Qaboos had trained at Sandhurst, took over and set about modernising the Country. It was the Old Sultans habit of filling in village wells, if the villagers upset him. Education was limited, there were no officers with a higher rank than Lieutenant such was his (justified) fear of getting slotted. No TV, No Radio, no foreign travel and so on. Making the North Korean little Rocket-man a paragon of enlightened virtu by comparison. Best of all the country sat in a commanding position overlooking the Straights of Hormuz, through which most of the west’s Oil traffic travelled.
Almost as great was Qaboos was throughly Anglo-filed, and when he took power, assisted by the British Army, he invited them in to help him. When the inevitable punch-up began as various Commy nutters read the tea leaves and came to the conclusion that now would be a great time to take over the country (Should have used tea-bags) Needless to say, as the only country who has beaten Commy takeovers 3 times (Malaya, Borneo (not technically Commy) and eventually Oman), the Brits jumped at the opportunity to assist the Sultan. For more details of the 6 year war, you can do no better than read ‘SAS Secret War‘ by Tony Jeapes (Head shed of the SAS BATT in country at the time). And a recently published book ‘SAS Operation Storm, 9 men against 400’ where you can read a true account of why the SAS are the very best (Both available at a very low cost on Amazon).
Anyhoo back to this young Tom, who had become very friendly with the local Baluchi mercenaries whom had been recruited to form the back-bone of the new Sultans Army. I had become friendly with a young Baluchi Tom called Ali (he actually had a very long name which I couldn’t pronounced), he was killed whilst out on patrol and I was asked to accompany the body back to his home in India. When I returned I was ‘instructed’ to attend a meeting with the Sultan, who thanked me for what I had done. He was a very nice man who also showed interest as to why I was in country assisting him with his war. Needless to say the reality of ‘well I was posted out here’ were replaced with some gumph about always wanted to see the country, people, camels et al.
Years later we’ll knackered and living on my War Pension, I needed to have a stair-lift fitted. Chatting with an ex-member of Them, who I have known for many years, he advised me to write a nice (Begging) letter to the Sultan and see if he could help fund the lift? 3 months later a small cheque arrived in the post, for Robme’s stair-lift.
Genuinely, one of the best illustrations of the mindset of the region I've read. Feuds can run for millennia. But, so can loyalties and indebtedness.

It's something our blow-through politicians continually fail to grasp.

RIP, sir.

Yokel

LE
Genuinely, one of the best illustrations of the mindset of the region I've read. Feuds can run for millennia. But, so can loyalties and indebtedness.

It's something our blow-through politicians continually fail to grasp.

RIP, sir.
Is this the same Sultan who made Oman into a modern nation that looks after its people and is a bulwark of stability in a volatile region? RIP.

As for your last line - politics is a short game, diplomacy is a long game.

Sultan Qaboos served after Sandhurst with the Cameronians.
And yet he seemed such a nice chap. I suppose the fact he wasn't a Catholic swung that appointment for him?

as the only country who has beaten Commy takeovers 3 times (Malaya, Borneo (not technically Commy) and eventually Oman),
4 if you include the Greek fracas after WW2. Op Masterdom needs to go in the draw column i think, seeing as the French fucked up their half...

[QUOTE="Effendi,
We never did find out why SSGT Sam had to leave Oman, but it must have been goo
Did SSgt Sam ever marry ?
[/QUOTE]
Heh heh heh very sly.

Latest Threads