SUITABLE OFFICER NAMES

#1
Had a think about this over leave and also looking through a Regimental Journal and there are a surprising amount of more common officer names out there i.e:

Brian
Pauline
Kevin

One Regt I was in changed the name of someone called Brian to Bertie so it was more suitable.

Any other common names? The RLC must have some Dwaynes! :)

GBTD
 
#3
Who cares? Surely nowadays we recruit officers principally on the basis of their ability to lead a pl / tp of soldiers into combat?

Whether you're called Tarquin or Darren might have been seen as important back in the days when most of the Army just sat in Germany for decades at a time and had nothing more meaningful to worry about, but things have changed a little bit since then.

There are a lot of highly effective officers out there who you wouldn't exactly call posh, but I don't suppose their soldiers care very much....

Ken
 
#4
choose whatever name you like sunshine; it only reinforces the perception of the class system and all its nonsense.
"Daddy owns a Polo Club", "Daddy is a managing director of some faceless corporation" etc...etc...

Tarquin
Theo
Sebastian
Dominic

Household Cavalry and Guards only need apply.
 

cpunk

LE
Moderator
#5
Biting like piranhas in here today! :D

In one battalion I served in, Kevin and Keith were renamed 'Henry' and 'Harry' to ensure proper 'officerliness'.
 
#6
cpunk said:
Biting like piranhas in here today! :D

In one battalion I served in, Kevin and Keith were renamed 'Henry' and 'Harry' to ensure proper 'officerliness'.
Not biting - just puzzled as to why anybody thinks this sort of thing is important. It's the 21st Century, you know.

Anyway, isn't there a General called Kevin? It doesn't seem to have done him any harm...
 
#8
Alan,Simon, Benny, Brendan, Keith, Paul, Jerome, Fiona, Maggie, Marie, Denise, Di, Sue. Make of that what you will. mind you we are all doctors and nurses.
 
#10
I was planning to change my name to ........... Crispin
 

cpunk

LE
Moderator
#11
Hobo-Ken said:
Not biting - just puzzled as to why anybody thinks this sort of thing is important. It's the 21st Century, you know.
I don't think anyone has suggested that it's important.

When you place your lonely hearts ads, do you include the 'GSOH' bit?
 
#12
Alec_Lomas said:
I was planning to change my name to ........... Crispin
:) and I will be Araminta

think you are more of a Tristan then a Crispin considering the industry you currently work in :D
 
#13
cpunk said:
Hobo-Ken said:
Not biting - just puzzled as to why anybody thinks this sort of thing is important. It's the 21st Century, you know.
I don't think anyone has suggested that it's important.

When you place your lonely hearts ads, do you include the 'GSOH' bit?
Can't see the relevance of the question - anyway I'm not a lonely heart... :D
 
#14
Poppy said:
Alec_Lomas said:
I was planning to change my name to ........... Crispin
:) and I will be Araminta

think you are more of a Tristan then a Crispin considering the industry you currently work in :D
I did eliminate Sabastian but had long fretful doubts about casting aside Ranulf. The latter has such interesting edits..... Rafe, Ran.... :D :D
 
#16
Hobo-Ken said:
cpunk said:
Hobo-Ken said:
Not biting - just puzzled as to why anybody thinks this sort of thing is important. It's the 21st Century, you know.
I don't think anyone has suggested that it's important.

When you place your lonely hearts ads, do you include the 'GSOH' bit?
Can't see the relevance of the question - anyway I'm not a lonely heart... :D
if you did include GSOH I think the lady concerned may have a good case under the Trades Descriptions Act :D
 
#18
March_Hare said:
comedy dave said:
Tarquin
Theo
Sebastian
Dominic

Household Cavalry and Guards only need apply.
Is a double-barreled surname not more important?
Keep up, keep up...... it's the triple barreled names that 'rully' matter.
 
#19
Alec_Lomas said:
March_Hare said:
comedy dave said:
Tarquin
Theo
Sebastian
Dominic

Household Cavalry and Guards only need apply.
Is a double-barreled surname not more important?
Keep up, keep up...... it's the triple barreled names that 'rully' matter.
When my son was at a RC boarding school in the UK the Chairman of the Trustees was a retired Major General with the given name "Miles" and a triple barreled surname. Did not matter to me as the only time I shook his hand I just addressed him as "Your Grace"
 
#20
DavidBOC said:
Alec_Lomas said:
March_Hare said:
comedy dave said:
Tarquin
Theo
Sebastian
Dominic

Household Cavalry and Guards only need apply.
Is a double-barreled surname not more important?
Keep up, keep up...... it's the triple barreled names that 'rully' matter.
When my son was at a RC boarding school in the UK the Chairman of the Trustees was a retired Major General with the given name "Miles" and a triple barreled surname. Did not matter to me as the only time I shook his hand I just addressed him as "Your Grace"
Obsequious bumlicker :D
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads