Suit tailor London

TAB_ON

Swinger
Afternoon All,

I am a NCO medically discharged from the forces this month and working for a Govt Dept in London now. As I've been blessed with the body of an Auschwitz victim I am looking to find somewhere not toooo pricey for a nice made to measure suit, shirt etc.

Was thinking around the £600 mark. ( I'm sure I remember seeing somewhere on Saville/Jermyn St that did MOD discount)

Just wondered if anyone has an ideas.

Obviously aware of the sticky but looking for some current info and tips.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
There's a place on the Cut, turn right out of Southwark Tube station and head back towards Waterloo, on the left hand side around 250m down, which does seemingly OK mtm gear for sensible prices.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
by OK you mean?
Decent material, well-cut, nothing too poncy or extreme (although they do seem to have a thing about outlining the lapel buttonhole in a contrasting colour).

The alternative is to go for a decent otp and just pay a little bit to have it tailored. A day trip to Bicester or Swindon to the outlet centres is probably worth considering as well.

£600 won't get you far in the made to measure market, discount or no discount.

Strangely Gray

Old-Salt
Needed a stroll anyway,
Cordings, junction with Air St, Piccadilly.
ImageUploadedByARRSE1404916939.854112.jpg
ImageUploadedByARRSE1404916970.454135.jpg
ImageUploadedByARRSE1404916999.688726.jpg

Hope this helps, good quality, classical, and has a sale on, would suggest a visit if you are in the vicinity.

Seeking Enlightenment by looking up my ARRSE

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I'd echo the Cordings recommendation. I've got one of their covert coats - 10 years old and like new. The OTP suits are good for what you get and sale time is very much the time to visit.

Sandbanks

War Hero
You will struggle to find any menswear OTP suits at a 36" chest. Although others have suggested that you buy OTP and get it adjusted you need something that needs tweaks and not major surgery so you will, if you think the weight will stay off, have to look at MTM.

However, give 'A Suit that Fits' a swerve, as well as those boys at The Cut (Dressed2Kill you'll find they're called). For your money I would go and visit my mates at Cad & The Dandy. Their suits start at £550 and can be found on the Row and in the City.

TAB_ON

Swinger
A swerve why?

Anyone had experience with suit that fits etc....I looked and some good reviews out there. No different to the Kabuli suits we all had done that fitted surprisingly well.

Sandbanks

War Hero
Clarification - Cad and the Dandy, like myself, are City tailors and I think produce a good product for the money. I occasionally run into them and appreciate what they do but we're not drinking buddies - apologies for the confusion, I'm not on commission.

I have seen the 'A Suit that Fits' garments up close, taken apart, in a workshop environment and I would say that you get what you pay for. They look more 'homemade', rather than handmade. With regards to D2K I have seen a number of examples from people who have bought from them with massive delamination issues on the coat chest that they have hoped that I would be able to sort out for them.

If you look at the Dapper Clothing thread you will get some more reviews from ARRSE members about various cheap and cheerful tailoring firms they have tried. But at the end of the day it's the OP's call but would ask that whatever route he goes down he lets us know of his experience in the Dapper Clothing thread.

SB

TAB_ON

Swinger
Thanks for the update, although I would say having checked out C&D website it seems its £550 OTP and not MTM?

Sandbanks

War Hero
Really? As far as I am aware C&D do not offer OTP. Just looked at their website myself and can't see anything relating to OTP but if I'm wrong I apologise. I'd appreciate it if you could send me the link.

Tatty0269

Clanker
Hi Guys, I got my wedding suit from A Suit That Fits and I found them to be very helpful and professional.Cost in 2010 for a 3 piece suit was around the £550 mark. Suits are made overseas so timescale can be up to 8 weeks although you can pay extra for faster turn rounds. Choice and quality of fabrics is good and you can choose styles, pockets etc. I would recommend going to one of their studios and be measured as then u can work through the fabric choices and talk to someone who knows about the product.

It is certainly worth spending the money on a decent tailor for MTM, because as Sandbanks says, they are not all the same.

It's not just about how they make the suit, it's how well you are measured and whether they take account of any individual requirements.

A good MTM tailor will always offer plenty of options - fishtail back trousers, for example, or a pen pocket in the waistcoat - or be able to accommodate your wishes if not in the standard package.

Call into their premises - I would always avoid companies who offer self-measurement - and make sure that you feel comfortable with the setup. Getting a new suit should be a pleasurable experience, and a process in which you are fully involved.

A good MTM tailor will always offer plenty of options - fishtail back trousers, for example, or a pen pocket in the waistcoat - or be able to accommodate your wishes if not in the standard package.
I've always been a bit baffled by the attraction of random pockets, contrasting buttonholes, oddities of trimmings - they all seem designed to none-too-subtly advertise the fact you've had it made. Wheras the true value of a good suit is in making you subtly look slim, suave, sexually magnetic and generally awesome.

Obviously, I achieve this effect whether naked or dressed in lederhosen, a morning dress coat, carnation and S10. Which is suprisingly often.

I've always been a bit baffled by the attraction of random pockets, contrasting buttonholes, oddities of trimmings - they all seem designed to none-too-subtly advertise the fact you've had it made. Wheras the true value of a good suit is in making you subtly look slim, suave, sexually magnetic and generally awesome.

Obviously, I achieve this effect whether naked or dressed in lederhosen, a morning dress coat, carnation and S10. Which is suprisingly often.
I agree, but fishtail backed trousers and pen pockets are entirely practical enhancements which are unnoticeable when the suit is worn, and do not detract from the miracle of presentation achieved by the tailor's art.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Travel 33
wm1965 Officers 119
toontiffy Weapons, Equipment & Rations 7

Latest Threads