Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by jimmy_jazz, Sep 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, Are there any old and bold QM's, Armourers or even Csgt's who can answer a question re the above? i've tried the Mil History thread but everyone's trying to convince that i'm mad and have old timers syndrome!
    ..So,am i the only bar steward in the British Army who has ever seen the suit sight and mounting bracket as issued for the GPMG? I swear there was one issued to us along with the SF kit in Minden in the 80's.

I know i hadn't seen it before that posting and i know that i haven't seen it since but i've convinced myself that it was there in the armoury in Westminster Barracks and that i signed it out for that wonderful first Soltau EX in Feb '81...(where it went down to minus 13 and my tache fecking iced up, along with the gun, water, my feet, ears and just about everything else!)...or shall i just pour another JD and coke and keep quiet?
  2. I was an armourer from 1973 to 1989 and I know that I never saw a mount for a SUIT to go on a gmpg and never saw a SUIT fitted to a gpmg.
  3. think i saw one for the 84 but never GPMG, don't think the mounting spring would stand up.
  4. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I've never seen one but I do remember seeing the mounting of one in a manual showing the mounting on various weapons.(M16/SLR/LMG ect)
  5. Armr from '85 - present, never seen a bracket for a SUIT to fit on a GPMG.

Apart from anything else I can't think of a more pointless fit. Maybe a trial mod that the unit had held on to, but to be honest I doubt it.

Sure you're not thinking of the IWS and all the associated brackets that came with it?
  6. saw and carried iwcs fitted to gpmg in ni.. in 1980s.
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

It was capable of being fitted with most things but I certainly didnt see one myself, Idid however find the correct use for the IWS bracket that had a pair of rollers on the bottom, it was for the HK series and we fitted one to an HK53 to prove it could be done!
  8. The SUIT does fit to the GPMG. Bracket fitted on the left side of the body as standard. The same bracket is now used as part of the mounting system for the CWS and Maxi Kite.

And I'm not even an armourer....
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Suit or susat?
  10. 307

307 War Hero

SUIT before my time, but I have seen Maxi, VIPER II and SUSAT (for some reason) mounted via the bracket.
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I dont think anyone said it couldnt, just that they said they hadnt seen it. I dont recall a bracket that would take the suit sight apart from the SLR!
    Edited to add, we had Kite for the ARs in the Pln but the CWS was a posh kite and by the time that came out suit was replaced by susat wasnt it? Surely the suit was withdrawn with the SLR, in fact we werent even getting them in 86 for our SLRs as we were told they were BER, worn out. The last one I saw was on a TA night shoot sometime in 89. They still had SLRs. In fact we only mounted Kites on the 2 ARs in each patrol until SA80 arrived and CWS came almost straight away! I didnt see an IWS on an L85 untill I visited the ARB and the lads were dicked with it!
  12. I would be very surprised if it was as the mounting for the SUIT was a spring and the CWS was a dovetail.
  13. I can remeber the kit being in the SF kit for the use of sights I belive the suit site and night sight
  14. Not in the SF kit. All mounts for the IWS came with the IWS box, M16, GPMG, 84mm and SLR. The C2 was not fitted to the gun but the tripod as early test showed that continued firing shook it to bits. No need for a sight of any type other than C2 for the SF. Now tri to imagine the angle your head would have to be in to look through a SUIT mounted on a bracket on the side of the GPMG? Them think of how far back it would have to be so that you could look through it. A mount for the 84 was made but not the GPMG.
  15. It's obvious you're not an Armourer, had you been you'd know 100% that the SUIT sight has not been fitted to the GPMG.

The sight fitted to the SLR in the picture is a SUIT sight it has not been fitted to the GPMG and was never in the SF kit.

Attached Files: