Suit Carriers and BA

Forastero

LE
I'm off on a course in Europe and I've got to take my Service Dress with me (don't ask, it's the first fecking point for my inval) and apart from the fact that it's a properly monumental pain in the arse, I don't know if BA will accept a suit carrier as hand baggage thereby avoiding shelling out a further £120 for an extra bag. I did ask them and got a woolly answer rather than a yes/no, despite giving them the dimensions of the bag. Has anyone flown with BA recently and been able to a take suit carrier on as hand baggage? If I can't I'll just have to roll the bloody thing up and stick it in a small hardshell case.

If you are flying business they will (sometimes) hang it in the coat locker.

If economy one bag only, they'll likely make you check it.

If you are silver\gold and check in online you may get a little goodwill by getting on first...

My advice is to roll it & hardcase, pay, otherwise it'll be a worry up until they f*ck you over at check in or at the gate

Forastero

LE
Economy and my frequent flyers status is shite (Blue!). I think you're right, roll it into a hardcase and take it on as hand baggage.

Economy and my frequent flyers status is shite (Blue!). I think you're right, roll it into a hardcase and take it on as hand baggage.
Depending on when you're flying you might want to try an experiment with one of those vacuum packs. I had variable results but used one for light(ish) suits.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Wear it

(or try their press office, explain the situation and hint that this may be a regular occurrence for a lot of other people. And you would like to advise them how to best go about it in the most trouble free manner possible);

Forastero

LE
If you are on a course then presumably HNG will pick up the tab anyway.
True although I booked the flight before the JIs came through and then spotted the SD nonsense. I just left it and forgot about it and now that I'm flying tomorrow my admin's come back to bite me on the arse.

True although I booked the flight before the JIs came through and then spotted the SD nonsense. I just left it and forgot about it and now that I'm flying tomorrow my admin's come back to bite me on the arse.
If SD is a course requirement then simply claim it back - job jobbed.

Forastero

LE
If SD is a course requirement then simply claim it back - job jobbed.
Yeah I know, I'm just being a bit lazy and trying to take the line of least G1 resistance. I've just tried rolling it up into a carry on and it seems to work so I'll go worth that option I reckon.

What course is this!? o_O
NATO course, they love that sort of bling for a course photo. 'You mean I've got to carry that crap around just for a course photo?! FFS!'

Yeah I know, I'm just being a bit lazy and trying to take the line of least G1 resistance. I've just tried rolling it up into a carry on and it seems to work so I'll go worth that option I reckon.

NATO course, they love that sort of bling for a course photo. 'You mean I've got to carry that crap around just for a course photo?! FFS!'
Yes, but the banana republic nations often work in SD.......

You'll fit right in if you roll it up in your bag...:eek:

Forastero

LE
A quick update, rolled it up in a carry on hardshell case thing - job done. Get to the gate (eventually, flight delayed by two hours) and hurry up and wait. Voice pipes up over the tannoy and announces that flight is very busy today and if anyone would like to stick their wheeled cabin bags in the hold that would be very helpful. For free. Aaargh! I did it anyway, got priority boarding as a result. Small victories and all that.

£120??

It might be cheaper to courier it to your hotel/wherever you're staying.

Matters less if it gets crumpled on the way back, so just stick it in your suitcase.

£120??

It might be cheaper to courier it to your hotel/wherever you're staying.

Matters less if it gets crumpled on the way back, so just stick it in your suitcase.
I can ship a pallet groupage to Germany for cheaper than that