Suicide Recommended For Elderly

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Not_Whistlin_Dixie, Dec 17, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Baroness Mary Warnock, who is described as "one of Britain's leading medical ethics experts," recommended that the elderly kill themselves to avoid becoming a financial burden on their families.

"Anger Over Euthanasia Comments" 12 December 2004
    http://icnorthlondononline.icnetwork.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=14971545&method=full&siteid=50102&headline=anger-over-euthanasia-comments-name_page.html

That's how the welfare state works.

It confiscates whatever provisions people might make for their old age.

Then it dissipates the proceeds in vote-buying projects.

When it becomes obvious that the public pension system has promised more than it can deliver, they recommend the accelerated death of the elderly.

2. should be done like in the film 'Logans Run', except the age that you 'pop off' should be set by the moment that you buy a big powerful car but only drive it at 30mph at all times.

3. what the spokeswoman may have meant was "we need the aging community, so we can claim to be a charity and charge outrageous rates for our services to the elderly" :twisted:

4. I'm 71. I had already made up my mind to do the Oates' walk when the time was right for me so she is not coming out with something totally from left field.

5. maybe, what with defence cuts, we will have to start dropping oap suicide bombers instead of lgbs

6. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Initially I thought it was difficult to understand why anyone would consider ending their life in order to spare their relatives the cost of looking after them. Then I remembered some of the elderly people I have seen as patients, who have been abused by their families on the basis of them being percieved to be a burden, and I understood why some may not want to go on living. Then there's the people who feel they they no longer have a satisfactory quality of life, pushed around by social workers and treated like children by 'carers' whilst the government starves them and uses them as pawns.

I'm not sure the Baroness doesn't have a point.

7. I've always said, so long as the marbles are there, keep on trucking, even if its writing cheques the body can't cash. However, once I become a drooling idiot (even more than I am now!), 9mm lead aspirin please.

Frighteningly, I agree with Filbert again. Logans run, time to die when I start acting like Mrs Brady old lady.

8. The Germans believed in euthanasia too. It started with the mentally handicapped and ended with the jews/gypsies and other groups that were felt to be inferior. In Holland they are euthanizing newborn babes that are felt to have "no future" because of some defect or other.

9. and so do my residents! in answer to that, I was asked recently how many paracetamols could do the job ...... wasnt a joke!!!
    Its shameful when their children make them buy these flats for extortionate amounts, and expect them to be happy ever after. All the offspring are after is the last will and testament stuff in their bank accounts! All too often here! Hasnt stopped me saying so in this job..... so far!!!!
    Viro I can relate to your post. I see this sort of stuff every day, from carers and un-caring relatives to social workers that do a wonderful job but at the end of the day, to them, its just a job. I would never treat my family so. End of.

10. I'm going to spend every penny I've got, having a great time; make sure I haven't left any debts to friends; make sure my dogs and my guns go to good homes and then I'll take a few bottles of Laphroaig on a walk in the hills and watch the sun set...
    Even if I have to crawl there!

But knowing my luck it'll probaby p*ss down! :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. problem with euthansia is once you start when do you stop ?
    All these nurses start out trying to ease suffering and then they end up
    knocking off a colleuge who says this hangover is killing me :lol:
    some times we are keeping people alive for no point but killing people just becase there in convient is a bit harsh

12. Appaling concept :evil:
    I spend my day as a CPN for the elderly. Time and time again I see the"children" try to safeguard their parents. Often elderly themselves. If you are in your nineties, your "kids" are in their seventies!!
    The parents, by the time they reach our service, have an advanced dementia. The carers are still trying to protect them.
    The people we are talking about are the those that lived throughout WW1 and WW2. Probably the most robust generations that have ever lived in UK.
    Logans Run should not be an option!. Gratitude would be more appropriate.
    Sorry.
    Rant over.

13. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Don't be sorry Black Adder, you hit the nail on the head.

But the present junta has no gratitude but for themselves......

:evil:

14. As Regards the next generation of doctors, nurses and social workers. I do not envy them!!. With the present generation of individuals expecting money every time they do not look where they are going and end up on their a**se,it appears that only a legal qualification or a sudden, sharp, change in occupation will preserve their self esteeem, qualifications and motivation.
    Tinsel is now considered dangerous. Feck me, depleted uranium must be safe.

Sod it!! Thought I had stopped ranting!!!!!!!!

15. I am 56 and basically in good health.
    There should be dignty in death and a time will come when my body/brain starts the process of failing me.
    I will do what I think is correct when that time comes.
    It's MY life and I'll do what I want.
    john