Suicide Bombing in South East Iran

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by rampant, Jul 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Suicide attack on Iran mosque kills several: minister - Yahoo! News

Internicene squabbling ongoing not really surprising Sunnis & Shiites have been a loggerheads for years. Family feaus always last longest.

2. RIP.

I find it hard to believe that a Muslim would bomb a mosque. Perhaps they were looking for the toilet but got lost because of their face coverings (see thread in Naafi bar).

3. RIP.

About as antagonistic as you can get - who benefits from this?

4. rampant

There have been several bombings of mosques in the last 20 odd years, Iraq certainly, with both Sunni and Shiites attacking each others Places of Worship, Pakistan is another, just the other week a Sufi Mosque was hit by Deobandist Taliban.

It goes to highlight the fact that the fundies are not interested in the Umma, but rather in their narrow interpretation of Islam, they want to dominate it their way, the vibrant pluralism of Islam runs contrary to their own ideology. It's important that more people know about this because it shows up the rampant hypocrisy of the organisations that claim to be fighting on behalf of Muslims all over the world. Their propaganda is at odds with their aims, not surprisingly.

Does anyone benefit, God No. Unless you are deluded and want to spread death and mayhem.

5. The heart bleeds after the Iranians have done so much to provide bombers in Iraq and Afghanistan with equipment and training.

6. Yeah I'm sure these lot were just off for a quick pray before getting back to training the Taliban/AQ, as they all do, those shifty Iranians.

Take a look at this, if you follow the links into specific years you'll see how concerned the average suicide bomber is with the attacking the west. They would much rather attack each other. I don't have figures, but I would not be at all surprised if the majority of people ever killed by suicide bombs were Muslims. And Mosques seem to be a much more popular target than any government buildings.

7. Well it may well be thought to serve our interests
    and after our recent history including Fallujah II its not like we've exactly treated the Mosque as hallowed ground ourselves.

The Qods chaps quick capture of and hanging of Rigi was a major reverse for our not very covert ops. It looks like they dealt with their "Osama" with little more than a few shouty phone calls.

This is probably what's left of his network up an running, perhaps with external assistance. This may be deeply unwise but that's what we have Langley for.

8. msr

msr LE

Ain't blowback a bitch?

And let's not forget that the number one killer of muslims is other muslims...

9. 'the elite Revolutionary Guards' It was these charmers I was enjoying the demise of, and who have been caught doing various naughty things in Iraq as well as Lebanon. I've no doubt that the bulk of the deaths from Muslim suicide bombers are fellow Muslim civilians as they are far easier to get to and kill in greater numbers just as the PIRA/UVF preferred to blow up pubs.

10. rampant

The story continues

11. Were the guys who invaded the Iranian Embassy in the 80's the precursors of the ones that oppose the current Iranian Govt and set the bomb off?

12. rampant

In the sense that all terrorist movements a precusors of the ones that follow: Prince's Gate was the Democratic Movement for the Liberation of Arabistan - a region in the West of Iran, they were also a secular Marxist movement:

[​IMG]

the guys behind this attack, Jundallah (Jundallah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) are rooted in Sunnism, and based outr Balochistan.

13. Thanks for that "rampant", a fount of knowledge as usual!
    I remember years ago being on a very long train jouney from N. Rhodesia to Cape Town (5 days & 4 nights), where one of my travelling companions was an elderly gentleman who had spent nearly 50 years in the Sudan, Somaliland & Uganda in the Colonial service! One of the things he was quite certain of was that because of the large number of schisms in the Islamic world, Sunni, Shiite, etc, and the intense dislike of each other, there would never be a unified Islamic movement!

14. rampant

Your friend is right, an analogy of the current crisis in Islam could be drawn with are own European Wars of Religion, (read the excellent novel Q - Luther Blisset, which gives you an idea of the schismatic nature of reinterpretaing faith in terms of conflict): What is extremely difficult for us to see or indeed how it is far too often portrayed in the Media, is beyond the idea of Islam as a monolithic block, it plays into the hands of the fear mongers on our side and the progangandists amongst the fundies - one monolithic bloc against the other. It distorts the lines and the truth, ah Churchill was right on that one.

How many British youths of Pakistani Sufi descent would be willing to give their lives for the teachings of the rigid Deobandists and Wahabists if they really knew that what these guys really wanted would be the scrubbing of all those subscribed to the gentler visions of Islam from the face of the earth.

edited to add: what is your opinion on Somaliland's drive for independence since 1991 from the the morass that is greater Somalia: personally I feel their "democracy" with Islamic roots should be given International Recognition, we should look to our own, they were once family afterall.

15. Simple. Put an end to all religion, shoot all protagonists of any form of worship.
    Religion was/is just a form of control over the uneducated masses.