Suicide amonst troops

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by oldbaldy, Nov 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Lots on this before but this article well worth reading, together with the linked articles:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/15/ntroops115.xml

2. This is a complex and emotive issue. I think this is an area where the government has a clear duty of care and has tried to address it with the use of civvy clinincs. If that policy is not working it needs to be changed.

How many of those lads or lasses who took thier own lives had been to seek help? It is available at the drop of a hat, every unit has a Padre and is an excellent starting point, he or she has a load of resources to pull on.

If all these people are still serving they have a chain of command above them who should be looking for warning signs. THey have mates and they share rooms with people.

I dont think it is all blame on the govt, everyone can play a part.

THe problem comes with those who have left and devlop problems afterwards including TA blokes.

3. Nothing new im sadly afraid,as said more soldiers committed suicide after the Falklands than died in the fighting, Northern Ireland i dread to think how many died after, certainly through another Organisation they had possibly a few hundred names.

Also the 1st Gulf war produced its own suicides, yet it always seems that the M.O.D have things in place after the event, if it was known from the 70s and 80s, then why are they hurrahing about improving since 2004???

Maybe thousands have died through suicide, and yet they are crowing about 3 years 'success' !!!!

4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Very true Scarletto.
    I gave a talk the other evening to a bunch of middle aged, middle class ladies.
    One of the things they were most interested in (& not the main subject of the talk) was the treatment of troops for both injury & PTSD. They were absolutely gobsmacked that after discharge the MOD was no longer responsible for their well being & were thrown, for PTSD, on charity as the NHS could not either cope or understand.
    They knew about the problems of the Falkland etc but, as I say, they were surprised how little help guys got!