Suharto Dead

#1
From the BBC:

Indonesian ex-leader Suharto, 86, has died after suffering multiple organ failure for the second time this month.

He died at 1310 (0610 GMT) after slipping into a coma, doctors said.

During his 32-years in power, the economy thrived, but thousands were killed in the provinces of Papua and Aceh and in East Timor invaded in 1975.

Suharto left office in 1998 amid mass protests over corruption and the human rights abuses, but did not stand trial on health grounds.

No-one has been punished for the killings.

[align=center]....[/align]

He had been living quietly in Jakarta since being overthrown during the 1997-1998 Asian financial crisis. He had been in and out of the hospital several times.

Although he was accused of embezzling huge sums from state funds during his three decades in power, his lawyers always successfully pleaded that his failing health meant he should not stand trial.

Suharto's rule was marked by rapid economic growth and political stability. Some Indonesians fondly call him the "father of development".

[align=center]....[/align]

[T]he bloodshed which accompanied his rise to power, after a mysterious coup attempt in 1965 which he blamed on Indonesia's then-powerful Communist Party, was on a scale matched only in Cambodia in this region, he says.

Within the space of a few months at least half a million people were slaughtered in anti-communist pogroms that, at the very least, Suharto and the military tacitly encouraged says our correspondent.

The trauma of that period scars Indonesia to this day, and was a key tool in Suharto's armoury.

After his death was announced, Suharto's eldest daughter, Siti Hariyanti Rukmana, told reporters: "We ask that if he had any faults, please forgive them... may he be absolved of all his mistakes."
Ah yes, those little mistakes, such as mass slaughter, malfeasance and tyrany. :roll:
 
#2
An absoulute corrupt and evil man.He and his family bilked billions of dollars out of the Indonesian economy during his time as president.This money has never been returned to the people and is probably sitting in some overseas bank account.

One of his sons,Tommy has been implicated in corruption allegations,as other members of his family.
 
#3
Le_addeur_noir said:
An absoulute corrupt and evil man.He and his family bilked billions of dollars out of the Indonesian economy during his time as president.This money has never been returned to the people and is probably sitting in some overseas bank account.

One of his sons,Tommy has been implicated in corruption allegations,as other members of his family.
So this won't become an RIP thread then?
 
#5
DozyBint said:
Ah yes, those little mistakes, such as mass slaughter, malfeasance and tyrany. :roll:
Well, we forgave them in Tony. Twice.

Suharto was a nasty piece of work and the world a cleaner place for his passing. I can take his name off the passenger list of my personal bus to death and free up another place for Pete Doherty, just to make sure he gets a seat.
 
#7
I think that Estrada, Philippines, was the only high ranking politician in the Far East ever to be tried and convicted of a serious crime (Plunder I Think) but then he was Pardon within months.
Absolute blatant abuse of Laws in this part of the world is not seen by the political elite as a 'Crime' just as the sole justification for entering Politics.
john
With the rise off Professional Politicians in UK (Folk who never made a real living in the workplace) it does sem to this outsider that it is now becoming the Brit/Euro way.
How long before Hain picks up one of the high paying, megga expenses & super pension jobs in Euro sh1tland.
 
#8
I don't like speaking ill of the dead, but the world will be a better place without him.
 

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
#9
I just wish he'd held on for a few more days. Our Dead Pool prediction League starts on 1st February, and he was in my team!
 

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
#10
jonwilly said:
I think that Estrada, Philippines, was the only high ranking politician in the Far East ever to be tried and convicted of a serious crime.
Weren't Madam Mao and the rest of the Gang of Four sent down?
 
#11
RP578 said:
jonwilly said:
I think that Estrada, Philippines, was the only high ranking politician in the Far East ever to be tried and convicted of a serious crime.
Weren't Madam Mao and the rest of the Gang of Four sent down?
Li Shumeng was sent down for trying to organise a coup, not for corruption although she was almost certainly guilty of that. She argued she was carrying out hubby's orders (a Chinese wife obeying her husband? I can only wish... :D ), defending herself with the quote, "I was Chairman Mao's dog. Whomever he asked me to bite, I bit".

Most arrests for corruption in the Far East can be put down more to political infighting than justice, though. Chen Liangyu got away with it for years until the power balance shifted in Beijing. Similar things happen at all levels in Japan, Taiwan and ROK all the time.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top