Suggestions - New hillwalking jacket

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Pacifist_Jihadist, Jan 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ive just been paid back on a loan from a while ago, so may aswell replace the old rubbish hillwalking jacket and trousers. But im unsure what to get, so as usual oh wise ones i seek your knowledge. Looking to spend about £60 at the very most for a new jacket, the current two ive spotted are:

Regatta 3in1 Woodland
    - (the winner so far in my head)
    Berhaus RG1

Does anybody know how waterproof and windproof there are, and also how quickly they dry?

Also im looking for new trousers. Are there still any sources for issue lightweights but not in DPM? If not any decent quick dry lightweights that can recommended? Thanks.

--------------------------------------------

Edit to update

Held off buying the jacket at the time of originally asking so have been able to push my budget up to £100. Ive had a look around with the options you have given and heres what im thinking:

Craghoppers Explorer GTX - A friend has one near new for £100 he wants short of

Paramo Velez Adventure Smock - £95

Paramo Alta 2 - £120 - A shop near my brother has this on offer but its a medium and im large. Im led to believe Paramo have large cuts, how true is this? This one is bottom of the list as im unsure of the fit.

2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

No idea on the jackets but for the lightweights give Andy a bell at Militaryzone 10384 76766 (yes only 5 didgits) or look up his e-bay shop under the same name. I was in the shop on thursday and he had what looked like brand new issue lightweights on one of the racks.

If he hasn't got them I'm sure he'll do his best to find you some.

Decent bloke ex 7RHA.

3. I've just bought a new Trespass 3 in1 jacket. Really warm, good quality, drys quickly and water resistant. Bought it off ebay for £30. Look up the ebay shop - bootsnshoesnstuff

4. Jacket-wise, depends what you're up to. If you hike a lot in all weathers then £60 might be a bit optimistic; I've had several jackets from reputable manufacturers such as Berghaus fail in bad weather before, at the moment I'm using a Mountain Equipment Changabang jacket which was recommended to me by a mountain rescue volunteer, is very good but a shade under £300. Regatta is a good brand but their kit isn't designed for very bad weather.

I'd second the Craghoppers trousers; the Kiwi series costs about £40 a pair and is very durable. I tend to prefer those over lightweights as I holiday in NI quite a bit.

Try places like Cotswolds, which give MOD90 discounts.

5. Mountain Equipment jackets are top notch, but can be pricey. Sometimes you can get a jacket in the sales at a good price.

Because they are a British company all their gear is tested in the UK, mainly in North Wales. A lot of other companies are foreign and their gear is designed for an Alpine environment, which is can be very different to UK conditions.

Ive got a Mountain Equipment Ogre Jacket and Ive always been dry as a bone, even in horizontal Snowdonia rain.

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Is that the same as MEC?

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

8. I have a couple of good jackets but tend to wear mine for climbing, I can't knock the sprayway icepeak but I don't think it's ideal for walking as it's quite short. I have a Berghaus which has kept me as dry as I think is possible for about 3 years.

This is a good site for reviews, I'm not sure how long it's been around but I agree 100% with their sprayway review: http://www.buachaille.com/c1-8-0-0-0-1/Waterproof-Jackets/

9. Whatever jacket and trousers you buy, make sure you wash and reproof them at least once a year - Nikwax products are the brand leader in the UK - see www.nikwax.com . If you do their quiz, you will probably get a free sachet of a product - their choice, not yours.

10. Thanks for the replies. The jackets for hillwalking but ill be going up the hills on days that are not chucking it down too badly. So no need for 100% waterproofing at £300, but still handle a good soaking when caught out. The Craghopper is the winner then, its on the site at a good price at £49.

And ill have a root around for craghoppers since they get the thumbs up, wasnt sure if the quality was on par wit the jackets. Sods law, eveywhere with them at a good price (sub £22) is sold out :p So ill give Military Zone a try for black CS95s.

Ill be walking in Scotland, all around where takes my fancy but nothing involving snow and all seasons weather and job permitting.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

For that sort of money I could pay someone else to go hillwalking for me! :oops: