Suggestions for dual-purpose boots - motorcycling and hillwalking

longhair

Clanker
Ideas please on a single pair of boots that I can use on my bike - it's a 500 single with no electric start so serious kicking over is required, along with the necessary foot and ankle protection, and the walking bit will be about 15 miles a day, rocks, peat bog and road/track.

I'm going to have to take everything off the bike when I leave it so can't leave the bike kit with it - and I REALLY don't want to carry the weight of boots I'm not going to be wearing, having to carry the helmet is annoying enough.

I've tried some Karrimor KSBs, but whilst good enough on the bike in the dry - water gets in during rainy riding.

Thanks ...

I know you're talking boots but you mentioned carting your lid around with you. I found myself in the same situation and bought a pacsafe helmet bag. It's big enough to get your lid in and I've also even jammed a jacket in there too.

Boots wise I've got Daytona gtx so comfortable and waterproof I use these for walking the dogs as well as on the bike.

Its Altbergs every time

the bike boot is based on the military boots they sell with extra protection for bikers.
I was trapped under my bike in the Vosges mountain last year for 10 minutes those boots saved me [ I already have pretty bad knee/leg Injury's].

when I came through Yorkshire I had another pair custom made for me at the factory so I have a pair of Hogg lites 11.5 medium for sale.
which are nicely broken in.its taking me longer with these new boots but I know its worth it in the end.

http://www.altberg.co.uk/product/hogg-lite-original/

I should add they don't have a waterproof lining.there are some that do in the range.
as I only ride in the summer and need max breathability but I have been through monsoons and using the leder gris they sell never had wet feet.

exXIX

Old-Salt
I've got a virtually new pair of Altberg Roadrunners in UK 10.5 that I want to shift. They are too loose on my feet.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Before I bought proper boots, I used to use Lowa's Mountain boots on the bike. I fell off at 30mph (diesel and rain, not incompetence, honest) and they held up well.

longhair

Clanker
I found myself in the same situation and bought a pacsafe helmet bag.
it's worrying enough to have to leave the bike itself at the trail head without tethering something obviously of value to it. I've had a car broken into in a similar situation - despite leaving the glovebox open and empty and obviously generally cleared". And a bike once got knowlegably vandalised by some cnut cutting out a section of the fuel pipe. Didn't run out the petrol from the tank so that wasn't their intention - just inconvenience. Too many people carry leathermen and gerbers.

I
Boots wise I've got Daytona gtx so comfortable and waterproof I use these for walking the dogs as well as on the bike.
Which Daytona gtx do you rate? I see a couple of dozen different GTX models listed currently ...

when I leave my bike I do it like this

I put my shoei in a cheap caberg helmet sac and use the helmet lock.

Then I drop a motorcycle chain through the sleeve of my bike jacket and secure it to the front wheel wrapped in a large carrier bag far more secure than pacsafe.

my tank bag I empty the valuable bits and either put in my pocket or under my seat.
its then wrapped in another manky old plastic bag [so as to not look inviting] and secured by the carry handle loop to the other helmet lock.

if people are around or near a shop I ask them to keep an eye on it for me.

it takes time and is a pain, with a bike if they want it they will get it as we know.

it's worrying enough to have to leave the bike itself at the trail head without tethering something obviously of value to it. I've had a car broken into in a similar situation - despite leaving the glovebox open and empty and obviously generally cleared". And a bike once got knowlegably vandalised by some cnut cutting out a section of the fuel pipe. Didn't run out the petrol from the tank so that wasn't their intention - just inconvenience. Too many people carry leathermen and gerbers.

Which Daytona gtx do you rate? I see a couple of dozen different GTX models listed currently ...

I've got the roadstar gtx. Bought them from a German website for a big discount about 3 years ago I wear them every day on the commute and they've never let me down and are really comfy to walk in. As for the helmet bag the only thing I upgraded was the padlock. I've also used bieldeldbratty's suggestion and I suppose it all comes down to what environment you're in.

Back to the boots most of us [when young and poor] used to wear German para boots on the bikes good and tough and affordable as are a lot of modern military boots [not DMS of course].but they are not motorcycle boots so not as good.

Altbergs are a big step on from this in protection, crush resistant comfort and being able to walk around of the bike.
for the price compared to big brands they are not expensive.
I don't know where you live, but if you cant get to Yorkshire they come down to the BMF show in May.
you can try the sizes, they just ooze old fashioned boot maker quality with modern design.
give the factory a call they will advise you the service is spot on and if you do decide to visit its a good riding/walking area.

this is the beast I was trapped under I thought my ankle at least was broken.
it was the crush resistant sole that saved me, the brake pedal was bent so that shows the forces coming down.

Yorkshire near and around the factory

IMG_3707_zpsc4660de9.jpg

P1110137_zpsc525d4ed.jpg

P1110134_zpsa4fb1471.jpg

P1110130_zpsd3f731df.jpg

P1110138_zpsf8fa9dd1.jpg

Latest Threads