• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Suez Campaign Medal for an Ex-Bombadier.

Hi,

My Grandfather served in Egypt (service details to follow when I get them from him tomorrow) with the Royal Artillery during the 50's and is, as I understand it, entitled to a campaign medal for time served.
A letter was sent last year requesting a medal but he's yet to hear back from the MOD (this being the MOD I wasn't exactly expecting a quick response).
Are the medals still being issued (is there a general time limit on medals)?
To whom should I make enquires? - a quick search on the 'net has turned up nothing.
Oh, and i'm currently serving in case there's some magic way for that to speed up the process.

Cheers guys
yTomK

ytomk

That Veterans Agency webpage seems to be down at the moment, but the link from Hat20 will be helpful once it is back up,

Meantime, here is some info about the medal from news.mod.uk
... The sub- committee recommended the General Service Medal 1918-62 and the Naval General Service Medal 1915-62 with the new clasp for service in the Suez Canal Zone between these dates.

4. The General Service Medal, or the Naval General Service Medal for Royal Navy and Royal Marines, with a clasp engraved with 'CANAL ZONE' will be awarded to qualifying veterans who have not already received such a medal for another campaign. Those already in receipt of a General or Naval Service Medal will receive the clasp 'CANAL ZONE' to add to the ribbon of their General Service Medal.

5. The clasp covers Service in the Canal Zone from the period from the start of the riots following the Egyptians' abrogation of the 1936 Treaty with the UK in October 1951 until the agreement between the two Governments on British evacuation, signed in July 1954, which effectively ended the emergency.

6. An estimated 200,000 troops (120,000 Army including Colonial troops, 55,000 RAF and 25,000 Royal Navy including Royal Marines) may have served in the Canal Zone between 1951 and 1954.

7. In common with all campaign medals, applications will be dealt with strictly in order of receipt. The medal will be issued as quickly as possible, but applicants should be aware that there will be a delay between receipt and issue.
I see that a request for the medal was sent last year, but your grandfather has not received a reply. Perhaps you did not have the right address. The Medal Office is now at RAF Innsworth and the full address is on the Veterans Agency website and other sites.

There is, however, an issue about the Medal Office not acknowledging applications. I can understand them not acknowledging the bulk of medal applications, which are submitted through units and are in respect of serving personnel. In such a case, however long the process takes, the individual can be fairly confident that the application is at least in the system and that there is some kind of record.

Where the applicant is no longer serving, he or she has no way of knowing whether their application has even reached the Medal Office. Fine if the actual medal arrives within a few weeks or months, but after a year or two have gone by without any kind of reply or acknowledgement it can get frustrating, and very unfair on veterans like your grandfather. Anyway, best of luck and I hope some of this info helps.

Thanks guys.
A letter is winging it's way to the MOD medal office.
My Grandfather has asked me to thank you on his behalf as well. Hopefully he won't look as out of place on remembrance day (next year!) with a beret and no medal.
Thanks again,
Tommy.

Ring 94560 3600 or 0141 224 3600
They take all calls for the medals office. If you have already applied they should be able to hasten you query for you

Latest Threads