Suez Campaign Medal for an Ex-Bombadier.

Discussion in 'Medals' started by ytomk, Oct 31, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

My Grandfather served in Egypt (service details to follow when I get them from him tomorrow) with the Royal Artillery during the 50's and is, as I understand it, entitled to a campaign medal for time served.
    A letter was sent last year requesting a medal but he's yet to hear back from the MOD (this being the MOD I wasn't exactly expecting a quick response).
    Are the medals still being issued (is there a general time limit on medals)?
    To whom should I make enquires? - a quick search on the 'net has turned up nothing.
    Oh, and i'm currently serving in case there's some magic way for that to speed up the process.

Cheers guys
  2. Ta muchy.
  3. Nice to see that the site doesn't work.
    Any other ideas?
  4. ytomk

That Veterans Agency webpage seems to be down at the moment, but the link from Hat20 will be helpful once it is back up,

Meantime, here is some info about the medal from
    I see that a request for the medal was sent last year, but your grandfather has not received a reply. Perhaps you did not have the right address. The Medal Office is now at RAF Innsworth and the full address is on the Veterans Agency website and other sites.

There is, however, an issue about the Medal Office not acknowledging applications. I can understand them not acknowledging the bulk of medal applications, which are submitted through units and are in respect of serving personnel. In such a case, however long the process takes, the individual can be fairly confident that the application is at least in the system and that there is some kind of record.

Where the applicant is no longer serving, he or she has no way of knowing whether their application has even reached the Medal Office. Fine if the actual medal arrives within a few weeks or months, but after a year or two have gone by without any kind of reply or acknowledgement it can get frustrating, and very unfair on veterans like your grandfather. Anyway, best of luck and I hope some of this info helps.
  5. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

6. Thanks guys.
    A letter is winging it's way to the MOD medal office.
    My Grandfather has asked me to thank you on his behalf as well. Hopefully he won't look as out of place on remembrance day (next year!) with a beret and no medal.
    Thanks again,
  7. Ring 94560 3600 or 0141 224 3600
    They take all calls for the medals office. If you have already applied they should be able to hasten you query for you