Suez 1956 - A Successful Naval Operation Compromised by Inept Political Leadership

Yokel

LE
Suez 1956 - A Successful Naval Operation Compromised by Inept Political Leadership

I sent this to the late seaweed (whose ship had been involved) and he replied thus:

A fascinating read. The account of the Domiat sinking is only partly right but there is no ref given so one doesn't know where he got his info from. There was no ramming, she was pounded to destruction by the broadsides of Diana and Newfoundland and everything else down to 40mm; the action took five minutes. The Israeli air attack on HMS Crane is missing; it was not important in terms of outcome, although not fun for the Cranes.

Last edited:
I think the ineptitude lay in not anticipating the US response. Once this became apparent, the recognition that the selected aim was no longer maintainable showed a decent amount of ept-ness, IMO.

Yokel

LE
That is true - but I have long thought that a couple of the aspects of the Suez affair had a long term effect on policy.

Firstly the canal was taken over without firing a shot - so it could not be described as an armed attack. As a result, small tripwire type forces went to places like the Falklands, not just to deter, but to make the invader fire first.

Secondly the canal was taken over months before the Anglo French action, so it became a fait acompli during which time the canal remained in operation. Hence we acted fast in 1982.

Last edited:

Latest Threads