Sudden onset of unfitness - Help

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Closet_Jibber, Dec 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm usually fairly fit however over the last few weeks I've been struggling to do what last month was relatively easy.

I usually train 4 - 5 times a week and this consists of a lonely circuits session usually with a weights/bag work session on the day before my rest day.

Of all my runs the only one I ever time is my 3 miler and aslong as its sub 21minutes I don't really care. However this time has been slipping alot and today I timed in at 25.10 and was dead on my feet. This kind of dip in performance is also reflected in my weights sessions and I appear to be losing reps but maintaining the same weights.

I'm not getting stitches, I have no symptoms of cold/flu and my diet although not perfect hasn't changed. I'm still in my late 20's so its not as if my hair is going to fall out.

In short... What the hell is up?
  2. I'd suggest maybe taking a weeks rest, no phys, then seeing how that helps?
  3. I agree a weeks rest is a good idea but what about changing your training routines? If you do the same thing all the time you'll end up marking time with your progress. Mix it up a bit do something different.
  4. Stop injecting mushed up big macs directly into your stomach lining and start considering that "salad" option on top of your kebab after a few bevvies?

No but seriously, check if you have got any niggling injuries, and be patient with it, drop the tempo of your PT and work your way back up to your normal standards.
  5. Concur - take a week off - you may be overtrainging the same muscle groups. During the week off design a new and more varied training programme.
  6. msr

msr LE

7. Although you may have no symtoms of illness your body may be fighting something that hasn't yet presented itself, up fluid, vitamin c and zinc intake and see how you feel, and as the others have said take a week off and change your routine.
  8. I was wary about doing that due to the time of year and the fact that even though I'm working most of it I'm gonna be drinking/eating alot more this month than normal.

However it seems like the general consensus that some rest is required.

Anyone else experienced this obvious dip even though they're still out training?
  9. I find that sometimes if I get a bit slack with my warm up/warm down and stretches it can have a negative effect on my next session, do you build any recovery weeks into your programme? I try to stick to 10 to 12 week programmes with a week to 10 days break between them.

Are you sure its not just a minor motovation thing? Cold dark nights etc?
  10. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

I don't want to be an alarmist, but I had a colleague experience similar. Fit and active bloke, suddenly experienced an unexplained loss in fitness and couldn't work out why.

One Non-hodgkins lymphoma and a fair bit of chemo later, and he was back on track.

Anyway, enjoy! :D
  11. 4 min drop over 3 miles sounds very bad - i'd guess its something serious like a brain tumour or AIDS setting in
  12. Can't be aids again. The doctor assured me that I wouldn't be able to get it twice! :D

It is an epic drop and its been noticed in work by colleagues who have never seen me heavy breathing after a short sprint. Nevermind coughing with hands on knees and asking for a minute before I speak to them :?
  13. Deffinately AIDs, probably Bad AIDs at that.
  14. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Perhaps it's just natural selection - nature is weeding out the runts! ;)
  15. probably not brain tumour, more likely to be lung cancer. happened to a mate of mine; fit as a parrot one day, cough splutter, chest pain, went sick was dead 6 weeks later. this was in 1992, anybody from the airborne fratnity over 40 will know who i'm on about!